well bought a gold hog hog pan

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have used the pan and I would say it's awesome! Is it better than the Bazooka? Two different tools altogether! If you have a flowing creek or river no way! If water is short and a premium this is the best available tool no doubt! This pan is the best pan you can get!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would the Hog Pan be considered a "pan" in a hands and pans area?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It comes with a certificate that says it is a "gold pan".

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
considered a pan in all 50 states!

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please don think that Cert will absolve you of anything .That cert doesn't mean squat to a ranger and they will interpret whether or not it fits they area where you are and if you are creating a significant creek or bank disturbance as it is all up them. They don't have books or manuals on approved equipment (which they should) and not up to an individual particular interpretation and mood at the time. Two of us had a little meet up on a creek in Prescott with a ranger a few years back that was new and very conscious ,luckily my buddy had a note from the District Head Ranger that our equipment did meet the current rules in his opinion,I bet we would have been in deep doo if he had not had that note in his back pack, Morale of this, stop ask before you use it, you will be better off in the long run and if the answer is no ask them where you can, it goes along way that you care enough to ask their opinion first instead of when they walk up on you.

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS don't get me wrong,I think Doc's equipment is some of the best to be had , I have some and want more ,it has always been quality,does what he says it will do and the testing he does is Top Shelf and he has done tons for the prospecting community and promoting we are more than greedy dumb dirt diggers and don't care about anything but our own agenda.Just trying to help keep someone from having an issue that dosent have to happen.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to use a hog pan on the Smith river, Nor Cal....And they can be a bit testy in that wild and scenic hands and pans only river.
Not that long ago I remember dredging in that river...I rafted it a lot. People have....I mean I heard... that they raft/kayak and prospect "out of sight"

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't despair yet, Give the Redding Ca. Fish and Game district office a call,they can tell you the local head Ranger and his contact info or they might even approve it,be prepared to send them a picture and ask for an official approval note, a phone call is nothing compared to getting your equipment seized and trying to get it back. I have worked the Scott and Klamath when we could dredge and most of the F&G guys up there were very cordial and just making sure we were following good practices in camp and the rules on the river. They were real interested in any alternative agriculturist that were hanging close by scoping out the camps. It is unfortunate others are wrecking it by leaving trash, thiefed and not following sanitary conditions ,it just wrecks it for us all and up there the Rangers and Wardens are your best allies as they will be the first to come to your aid when things go south.

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hoping to use a hog pan on the Smith river, Nor Cal....And they can be a bit testy in that wild and scenic hands and pans only river.
Not that long ago I remember dredging in that river...I rafted it a lot. People have....I mean I heard... that they raft/kayak and prospect "out of sight"
What have things come to where we have to hide in order to do a legal and important activity ?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Wether we like it or not, hands and pans is only gonna keep spreading... this is a pan. do you know a "pan" that can move more material?

Actually just about any pan can do more...... It's all in the technique.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually just about any pan can do more...... It's all in the technique.

how so, beach sand sluicer? I love when people chime in with negativity and give Zero fact to support there claim.

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you're working river gravels with rocks and gravels the pan is a great tool.
If you're in an area that is mostly sand... don't buy one.
It was designed for speed testing and concentrating and has it's place.

You can see how we use ours here:
Doc

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
how so, beach sand sluicer? I love when people chime in with negativity and give Zero fact to support there claim.
It's called production panning..... You just keep filling the pan and only work it down to about a 1/4 pan.
Then add more material .... a classifier helps too.....
Now none of these work on beach sand, that's a whole new ball game hot shot.
Now with all that said I did not mean to dis the hog pan.... it is a VERY good piece of equipment, But it is not any faster than a good production panner can do.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's called production panning..... You just keep filling the pan and only work it down to about a 1/4 pan.
Then add more material .... a classifier helps too.....
Now none of these work on beach sand, that's a whole new ball game hot shot.
Now with all that said I did not mean to dis the hog pan.... it is a VERY good piece of equipment, But it is not any faster than a good production panner can do.

Lol, hey thanks for telling me about "production panning" wow...what a secret the grand master shared with us..

I'd reckon that I have done a HELL of lot more "production panning" in the last 2 years then you have.

So this "hot shot" says you don't know what your talking about. Go back to the beach Mr Doe.

Last edited:

utah mason

Jul 10, 2015
utah
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lol, hey thanks for telling me about "production panning" wow...what a secret the grand master shared with us..

I'd reckon that I have done a HELL of lot more "production panning" in the last 2 years then you have.

So this "hot shot" says you don't know what your talking about. Go back to the beach Mr Doe.

Ouch, that's kinda harsh. You put a hog pan in his hands and I bet he would change his tune.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I'm not going to get into a pissing match with you .....
I Don't know what your problem is and really don't care so have yourself a great evening and enjoy your hobby .

This is my last comment to you. No problems here.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't put my name in quotes unless your prepared to support your comments. nuff said

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to use the heck out of a Hogpan...made well, it does work for what its advertised. However!! I work the same region as Mytimetoshine and have to say. For the cost and the weight and the fact you have to get material in the pan in the first place...I will out produce a hogpan with a garret supersluice and a classifier aided by raking or chucking cobble any day. Its too heavy to use one handed which is pretty essential in "production panning" and it gets wearisome after a while, and it isn't pack friendly.Manipulating the grizzly and emptying the pan as often as you have to really slowed me down. It willed with lots of flat rocks really quickly and didn't flush out as well as I wanted. We have lots of flat rock. Maybe it works better in areas that have more round gravel than we have.

For hike in sniping it just isn't the tool for many here. yet, will work just fine for others in certain situations.

I will state that I LOVE HOGMATTS...I like Doc and know he is not producing gimmicks for sale. It's just new tools do not always take the place of or replace tried and true gear. We are all looking for tools that make things more productive and quality build is always a characteristic we want.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to use the heck out of a Hogpan...made well, it does work for what its advertised. However!! I work the same region as Mytimetoshine and have to say. For the cost and the weight and the fact you have to get material in the pan in the first place...I will out produce a hogpan with a garret supersluice and a classifier aided by raking or chucking cobble any day. Its too heavy to use one handed which is pretty essential in "production panning" and it gets wearisome after a while, and it isn't pack friendly.Manipulating the grizzly and emptying the pan as often as you have to really slowed me down. It willed with lots of flat rocks really quickly and didn't flush out as well as I wanted. We have lots of flat rock. Maybe it works better in areas that have more round gravel than we have.

For hike in sniping it just isn't the tool for many here. yet, will work just fine for others in certain situations.

I will state that I LOVE HOGMATTS...I like Doc and know he is not producing gimmicks for sale. It's just new tools do not always take the place of or replace tried and true gear. We are all looking for tools that make things more productive and quality build is always a characteristic we want.

I would not say that we work the "Same" areas but hopefully it will work better for me than it did for you.

we could always have a little production panning contest...that is..if you ain't Yellow! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions