Last thing left in the pan: any idea what it is?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458411199.915885.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458411214.534500.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458411240.649279.jpg

I'm new to this. Just working out some newbie questions if you don't mind. I was on my local creek in Pennsylvania that I don't believe has gold in it, but I had to try. What is this? It was the last thing left in the pan, but its not gold. At least I don't think it is. And it almost had a slight rust look on one part of it. Wasn't sure if this may be a common thing to find.

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this question. I didn't see a better option on the app, so I used this forum to post.

Thanks,

BrettCo

Last edited:
Upvote 0

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say Gold or garnet .

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a garnet to me

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's pretty neat if it is! Are the last things remaining in a pan (if not metal or lead) typically something cool like that?

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Garnet will be very hard. Gold is very soft. You can do a hardness test. Good will bend. Mica or pyrite break.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The smoothness of the gold colored area suggests gold. The off colored material may be remainders of part of the matrix that the gold, if it is gold, was encased in.

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1287317 View attachment 1287318 View attachment 1287319

I'm new to this. Just working out some newbie questions if you don't mind. I was on my local creek in Pennsylvania that I don't believe has gold in it, but I had to try. What is this? It was the last thing left in the pan, but its not gold. At least I don't think it is. And it almost had a slight rust look on one part of it. Wasn't sure if this may be a common thing to find.

Also, I wasn't sure where to post this question. I didn't see a better option on the app, so I used this forum to post.

Thanks,

BrettCo

Well that's gold. It's kind of ugly and I would have guessed eastern Oregon, but that's gold.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's gold. It's kind of ugly and I would have guessed eastern Oregon, but that's gold.

Really? It doesn't have that gold-like appearance, but I'll have to check for more of it when I go back to see if I can find bigger pieces. I should not have "enhanced" the first photo that I posted. I did that to lighten up the photo and it kind of almost made it look like a piece of gold. The middle picture depicts what it looks like the best, and the last picture (small piece) shows exactly what it looked like in my pan. It had more of that "rust" appearance than "gold" appearance.

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like gold to me but the pictures may not be an accurate representation of what you see in it. If it looks redder then it's probably rose gold, gold mixed with coppe. I've found some pretty coppery colored gold before. And you posted in the right place :thumbsup:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like gold to me but the pictures may not be an accurate representation of what you see in it. If it looks redder then it's probably rose gold, gold mixed with coppe. I've found some pretty coppery colored gold before. And you posted in the right place :thumbsup:

Is there a way to ever really know? Besides crushing it? I don't think the creek I am in is a gold-bearing creek, so I'm very skeptical of everything I find. If it's not bright and shiny like gold, to me, it's not lol.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there a way to ever really know? Besides crushing it? I don't think the creek I am in is a gold-bearing creek, so I'm very skeptical of everything I find. If it's not bright and shiny like gold, to me, it's not lol.

If I am unsure that a piece(s) that I am looking at is gold my first test is color. If looks like gold in direct light AND in shaded light AND it acts like gold in the pan then it's gold. If the piece dulls out in shaded light then it is not gold and actually those pieces usually don't act like gold either. You will know how gold acts when you actually find some or you pan some paydirt.

Last edited:

OwenT

Feb 11, 2015
Moses Lake WA & Provo UT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well you may not find out, unless you find some more and determine definitively that it is gold. Really though it's something weird, looks kind of cool, but this is a tiny spec in a pan, lets just assume it's gold so you can get out there ad find more next time.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the advice. I took out some gold found in paydirt I bought and messed around with it, looked at it closely, watched it move around in the pan (or not move at all), and watched it sink inside of a vile with water in it. Looks to me like, when you have gold, you'll know it!

Very helpful. Thank you!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's pretty neat if it is! Are the last things remaining in a pan (if not metal or lead) typically something cool like that?

Yes!

Pretty much anything dense enough to behave like gold can have value...so ask before you toss it out!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes!

Pretty much anything dense enough to behave like gold can have value...so ask before you toss it out!

Man I'm learning everything from you guys. Thanks! I'll be sure to hang on to my findings.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How bout this: it looked like a tiny tiny spec. Last thing left in the pan from a local creek not known for gold. I checked for some reason to see if it would be magnetic, and it is. This is a photo I took of if under 60x microscope I bought: ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458707902.447458.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458707912.795951.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458707922.546241.jpg

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first pics look like gold possibly, easy test is smack it with a hammer, if it crumbles it's probably pyrite, if it flattens out its most likely gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread