Gold on my property or not likely? In Georgia

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello! I’m very new here and I have a few questions - hope this is the right area to post this in. My property is within the Dahlonega Gold Belt and I'm surrounded by over a dozen old gold mines (5-10 mi radius) and I’ve heard that my property had a creek running through it at one time. I haven’t pulled the old plats to verify yet. I’d love to find a map of my area prior to the subdivision invasion.

Over the last week, I’ve wandered around my yard, kicking rocks and dragging in some rather interesting large rocks inside to “inspect” further. Neighbors probably think that I have lost my mind. I’ve found a few small chunks of iron pretty close to the surface of this nasty red GA clay. Separating this stuff is quite a challenge! I’ve scraped iron off of quartz rocks as well. I thought it was paint until my son put a magnet to it. I’ve found what I believe is pyrite, garnet (small), and kyanite (visible with my jeweler’s loupe and VERY good light only) on the quartz.

Do you think that my property may have gold in the old, non-existent stream considering what I am surrounded by? The depression is still there because when the lake or creek north of me floods, I have water that rushes through my yard. As a homeowner, it’s annoying, but if there’s gold there, it gets a pass! :D

Is it even possible to find gold in the “dry” areas of north-ish Georgia? I’ve panned streams before, but that was over 20 yrs ago at a few roadside panning places in N. GA. Forgive my lack of technical terminology, I’m a bit green.

I haven't really "panned" the dirt here, I haven't bought a pan yet. I played around with it in a pie pan (didn't work), but I wasn't about to scuff it up - so I'll head to Cabela's in the morning.

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it is highly possible that the old dry creek bed area on your land has gold in it ... there is known to be gold all over that area

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well gold 'could' be anywhere find some and have it checked
BTW if it checks out as gold send it to me
and welcome to tnet

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome from a non gold producing city. Unless you want "Acapulco Gold" that is. You won't know till you hit it. Best of luck...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like it's time for you to start a couple of months of intensive research - learning about placer gold mining, the tools used, and how the soils of your area are worked. I've heard that Georgia has a LOT of sticky clay. However, seems you want to work when dry. Is harder to catch the gold when dry, but is still possible.

Keep in mind that a lot of your gold may be bound up in clay balls or clay layers. If dry, best thing would be to crush the clay to free the gold, then process it. "How" to process would depend on how much material you want to run.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The simple thing to do is dig a test hole in the depression (creek), and try to get down to bedrock. Pan the dirt, clay, as you go down each foot. If you get a few colors, keep going. If not, better luck next time. :occasion14:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd be on it like a bee on a flower! Dig! Dig! And of course let us know if you find anything.

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like I've got a lot of research ahead of me! I've been skimming the Geological Surveys of GA, Gold Deposits of GA (1896 and 1909), that's how I learned about the gold mines.

I need to read up on breaking the gold up from the clay. It takes forever to dry out, but my "forever" might be different than everyone else's - I like immediate gratification...guess I need to work on my patience lol!

Thank you all for responding! I sure hope I come up with something, even if it's a little gold dust, something is better than nothing!

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum.

If it where my yard I would go out during a rain and mark with sticks how wide the water flow is coming through your property and how long it is. Then I would extend the channel with other markers by six foot on each side. Then I would take a small Hand Auger like the one in the picture and drill down until I hit bedrock, drill out about 3 feet apart from each test hole, in all the low spots, inside and outside of all the bends and banks.

Test all the material you pull up, just throw each one into marked buckets that would be mapped out on paper. Document how deep each hole is and how much gold you get out of each one.

Follow that water to see where it goes, like in the bush, find its lowest point and if it is out in the bush then dig a test hole there. Look for other natural choke points as well.

The information you will collect will be enough to give your self an informed theory if you should proceed of not.

I keep a hand auger such as the one in the picture below. Nothing serious at all, mine has 6 one meter extensions, plus the one meter long handle, and the one meter long bit shaft. the bit head is about 20 inches long and 6 inches wide. I got mine for like 15 bucks about 20 years ago. I have never had to use more than one extension, plus the handle and the bit shaft for this use because I would never hand dig that far down. I have used the full 8 meters once to put in a well at our property in Switzerland.

With this you will not need to worry about damaging utilities because you are not a machine; you will at best drill down about 10 inches and then need to pull it up to dump the material off your bit. If you hit a snag it will let you know, but you will not have the strength it takes to bother worrying about damaging any utilities at all. You go using some gas or tractor powered auger and you are asking for trouble in a residential area.

Well these are my thoughts, I love gold, I enjoy prospecting and I like large returns with little effort. I do not mind the hard work at all but only when I have a good solid theory that there is good gold to be had.

View attachment 1321168

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably the best training you can get is to sign up with a local prospecting group. There, you will learn how to work YOUR type of soils (clays) from others who have been there and done that. It won't just be "reading", but actual "doing". It can be up to you to mention to them about your area. Personally, you might end up with a LOT of friends (and company) really, REALLY quick!!

"I like large returns with little effort"
Don't we all! However, that is rarely the case. You may be a fortunate one to have a nice site on land you already own - just make sure you own the mineral rights as well!! If you don't own mineral rights, you could legally put up a 100-story building if you wanted, but you couldn't legally go out rock collecting. Mind you, those are both EXTREME examples - like, who would possibly know you picked up a few rocks? The point is, even if you worked your land and found gold, someone could come back at a later time - even years later - and force you to pay restitution, providing they can prove they own(ed) mineral rights during the time the work was done.

In the south, most mineral rights are owned by the oil companies. They're most likely not going to be concerned with a very small home-sized operation. But best to find out ahead of time.

EDIT: Sorry OJ - seems I'm still asleep here. :tongue3: I thought your comment came from a post that the OPer made. Leaving it there as it's already there, but also brings up a good point.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably the best training you can get is to sign up with a local prospecting group. There, you will learn how to work YOUR type of soils (clays) from others who have been there and done that. It won't just be "reading", but actual "doing". It can be up to you to mention to them about your area. Personally, you might end up with a LOT of friends (and company) really, REALLY quick!!

Don't we all! However, that is rarely the case. You may be a fortunate one to have a nice site on land you already own - just make sure you own the mineral rights as well!! If you don't own mineral rights, you could legally put up a 100-story building if you wanted, but you couldn't legally go out rock collecting. Mind you, those are both EXTREME examples - like, who would possibly know you picked up a few rocks? The point is, even if you worked your land and found gold, someone could come back at a later time - even years later - and force you to pay restitution, providing they can prove they own(ed) mineral rights during the time the work was done.

In the south, most mineral rights are owned by the oil companies. They're most likely not going to be concerned with a very small home-sized operation. But best to find out ahead of time.

EDIT: Sorry OJ - seems I'm still asleep here. :tongue3: I thought your comment came from a post that the OPer made. Leaving it there as it's already there, but also brings up a good point.

Not at all mate, you have valid points. Being from Texas my self I sometimes forget that folks may not think of something so petty that can turn into something so major.

By the way my combined acreage in South Texas is just over 120,000 acres, sadly when your land is too big the oil companies can not afford to buy our rights, they can only afford to lease them. I wish I could sell the rights and some of those ranches for what I Want For Them. LOL

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...my combined acreage in South Texas is just over 120,000 acres, sadly when your land is too big the oil companies can not afford to buy our rights, they can only afford to lease them. I wish I could sell the rights and some of those ranches for what I Want For Them. LOL

Heck, I wish I could have what you pay in property taxes! :tongue3:

Dallasb84

Jun 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I panned in Marietta and found gold. Georgia had a huge gold boom back in the day. I brought a pan and shovel with me when I went fishing and found many pickers. Where I am now I feel I was spoiled in Georgia and didn't know it. However there is a little detail I learned. Most of Marietta was covered with dirt after the boom. Much of the landscape is not the same. I recall any concrete info where you are. Like mentioned above, sample your property. It's likely gold is in the clay.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much property do you have?

If you're in a sub division chances are that where present day water runs may not be where the old waterway was due to topographic changes made by earth moving landscaping equipment or even natural causes.

Also creeks can and do change course over time.

When you are digging pay attention to the gravels. Be on the lookout for well rounded cobbles and gravels. That's the best indicator for an old river or creek bed. And then keep sampling and digging down to bedrock if you can.

Remember that gold will run in pay streaks so you really have your work cut out for you doing your sampling by hand.
What you really need is a back hoe. But I'm sure that's out of the question in your situation.

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Oddjob what types of ground conditions does that hand auger work in and how difficult is it to get down there? I'm intrigued.

Well I am sure it would work in sandy and loamy areas but I have never once tried it in such an area. I have used it in mostly mountain areas where there is lots of stones or caliche,

If it is northern Italy caliche then I can normally sink my bit about 30 inches before I need to pull it up; so it goes fairly fast. In Romania, Norway, Germany, Austria or Switzerland I get to sink it about half way. If you have a wide enough gap between the bit blades it is good enough to drill down in areas with stones are big as 5 inches and you can bring them up without any issue, at around 6-7 inches it is a pain and anything bigger does not work with mine.

I have used it in many places but now the only place I will use it in is Italy.

Let me be clear, in this time it is not very practical at all. But they are really cheap in price and if you ever hump a few days deep in the bush then yes it is worth having.

I am sure there are some video's on the net of someone using a hand auger, there is no movie magic I am sure of that. LOL

I have a friend with a gas powered auger from Stihl I think it is and he can go down up to 4 meters with his extensions, it is faster but you still have to pull it up and clean off your bit.

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Overwhelmed (and very grateful) with the awesome responses! Forgive me for making a million posts here, a multi-quote would be really long.

Welcome to the forum.

If it where my yard I would go out during a rain and mark with sticks how wide the water flow is coming through your property and how long it is. Then I would extend the channel with other markers by six foot on each side. Then I would take a small Hand Auger like the one in the picture and drill down until I hit bedrock, drill out about 3 feet apart from each test hole, in all the low spots, inside and outside of all the bends and banks.

Test all the material you pull up, just throw each one into marked buckets that would be mapped out on paper. Document how deep each hole is and how much gold you get out of each one.

Follow that water to see where it goes, like in the bush, find its lowest point and if it is out in the bush then dig a test hole there. Look for other natural choke points as well.

The information you will collect will be enough to give your self an informed theory if you should proceed of not.

I keep a hand auger such as the one in the picture below. Nothing serious at all, mine has 6 one meter extensions, plus the one meter long handle, and the one meter long bit shaft. the bit head is about 20 inches long and 6 inches wide. I got mine for like 15 bucks about 20 years ago. I have never had to use more than one extension, plus the handle and the bit shaft for this use because I would never hand dig that far down. I have used the full 8 meters once to put in a well at our property in Switzerland.

With this you will not need to worry about damaging utilities because you are not a machine; you will at best drill down about 10 inches and then need to pull it up to dump the material off your bit. If you hit a snag it will let you know, but you will not have the strength it takes to bother worrying about damaging any utilities at all. You go using some gas or tractor powered auger and you are asking for trouble in a residential area.

Well these are my thoughts, I love gold, I enjoy prospecting and I like large returns with little effort. I do not mind the hard work at all but only when I have a good solid theory that there is good gold to be had.

There are parts of my property that I would love to use an auger on, my drain field may pose a minor problem. I'm on septic (not thrilled about that). While the DFs are (hopefully) 36" below the surface, my fear is that the slight erosion where the old creek is has changed the depth if there is a line there - crossing fingers there isn't. I need to mark my lines again - I've got the septic plat, so I'm ahead of the game there!

Luckily, there's no grass where the old creek was (thanks to heavy rains/minor flooding).

I've spent the last 2 days breaking my back on this clay. This stuff is unbelievable. I remember complaining about it when I planted my tomato garden. This stuff is iron rich, I can't tell if I have gold or not in the soil. I definitely have it on the quartz rocks behind iron, but the soil is tough to work. I'm probably doing it all wrong. I feel like I am back in my high school's pottery class again. I've broken this stuff up to where it's smooth as silt (not silk, but silt). Broken it up with a fluoride/hydrogen peroxide mix. Turns it to red butter, good for keeping my hands stain free, but is it right for gold? I dunno.

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

No mineral rights here - no oil either...that would be nice! Black gold, Texas tea... lemme tell ya a story 'bout a man named Jed... lol I couldn't help it! :laughing7: I could always file mineral rights for the future owners should I sell. Nah, I wouldn't do that.

I would love a large return with little effort though. :thumbsup: I used to pan for gold and collect random "pretty" rocks w/little to no value when I was a kid. The only things I would be studying are old maps, the old mine information, minerals found in the area, soil composition, and poisonous snake identification. Found a local gold panning club that meets every Saturday. I need to buy some rubber boots, a smaller shovel, and more ibuprofen before I join. Georgia red clay is pure evil. There must be a better way than what I was doing when "testing" my blocks of clay from my backyard. I could sell this sludge to spas though. LOL!

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How much property do you have?

If you're in a sub division chances are that where present day water runs may not be where the old waterway was due to topographic changes made by earth moving landscaping equipment or even natural causes.

Also creeks can and do change course over time.

When you are digging pay attention to the gravels. Be on the lookout for well rounded cobbles and gravels. That's the best indicator for an old river or creek bed. And then keep sampling and digging down to bedrock if you can.

Remember that gold will run in pay streaks so you really have your work cut out for you doing your sampling by hand.
What you really need is a back hoe. But I'm sure that's out of the question in your situation.

Go for the Gold
GG~

Excellent point - my husband brought up that as well. His dad built a house here when my husband was a kid and he (the husband) remembers where everything kind of was in the neighborhood prior to the total build out. I used to be in real estate law for about 10 yrs, so luckily I know my way around the record books and I'll be pulling every old plat I can put my hands own.

What do you mean by "pay streaks"? (excuse my total ignorance here)

I did find quite a few rounded stones, definitely river rocks - and they were not the ones you find at Home Depot! I want to cut them open, but I'm terrified of damaging my tools. Never worked with stone/rocks before in that manner.

If I could get my hands on a back hoe, my childhood dreams would be officially fulfilled. I'll settle for my workhorse, my husband until he protests.

I only have an acre. Not much, just enough to learn on.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
One thing that might help you in digging the Georgia clay is this:
http://www.gardenweasel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/91334_W_Claw_Pro_Large_CU.300.jpg

Another thing you could do would be to rent (or borrow from a friend) a skid loader. Renting sorta takes any profits out of such small-scale prospecting like you're doing, though.

One tool that is in the hands of nearly EVERY serious placer miner is a trommel. Trommels are great fro breaking up clay balls and compacted soils, but are also pretty spendy to buy pre-made. There are lots of plans/videos/articles about how to build your own. If you were to join a local prospecting club, you would certainly see one up close and personal!!

No mineral rights - hmm...it's been FAR too long since I've had to think about such things. Don't have a clue whether you're still allowed to placer-mine your ground or not. You should check on that.

As for cutting open rocks, there are small wet-saw table saws that are made specifically for using diamond blades in. Might be something to think about if rocks are a passion. Could also then look into how to polish the cut faces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread