Colorado panning, pans, and a five yr. old with the bug.

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Could someone recommend some places in Colorado where I can pan with a 5 yr. old (gold, silver, gems,whatever) and some inexpensive pans that are somewhat decent.

I have never panned but have watched some instructive videos with my son... he has gold nuggets sparkling in his eyes I think. 8-)

Thank you for your help.

Edit... and I'm not above droping a small purchased nugget into hos pan if it gets him hooked...lol.

Upvote 0

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Might I recommend buying some Dirthogg product? I've heard nothing but VERY positive reports, and that's coming from some pretty darn experienced prospectors! You could either pan at home or take the product out into the field. Personally, at 5 years of age, I think I'd stay at home where there are controlled conditions!

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll google it. Thank you.

He's actually been hiking in Colorado since before he could walk...yeah, I carried him those first times..ugh, my neck. I've hiked him up near the snowline once already. When home he negotiates rip-rap dams like a goat when he should be watching his line... and when he expresses interest, I'll teach him to rock-climb and rappelling. I'd like him to see the real colorado with me someday. He's a good boy.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like he's got a good Dad, too! :notworthy:

Shortly after I got out of the service, I had moved back home for a time while looking for work. During that time, my "former" sister came to stay with her (then) 2 young sons. Both of the boys were totally out of control, and the only way they knew how to get attention was by being bad and having their Mommy or Daddy yell at them. I worked with the older boy for a while, helping him with his homework. He was a bright kid(!!), but virtually zero attention span. First time we sat down together, he started off with math problems. He got the first one perfectly. Then got almost through the 2nd - so close that I knew he understood the rest! After 5 minutes, he conveniently couldn't even write his name. The kid got some sort of smirk on his face like, "Ok, now uncle kcm is gonna give me some REAL attention". Just the opposite; I got up and started to leave. The boy asked where I was going. I told him look, when you give up and stop trying, I give up and stop trying. Within 2 weeks the boy's attention span went from less than 5 minutes to well over an hour! His grades shot up to the top of the class. ...And I never "GAVE" him one, single answer. Made him figure them out himself!

Sadly, after only 2 weeks, the anti-Mommy took the boys back to the anti-Daddy. Once again, all the attention he could get was when he acted up. Kills me to know how he turned out as well. He's a smart man, but his priorities started off horribly wrong! He made far too many stupid mistakes. He seems to be getting his life in order now, but can't help but wonder how far he would have gone if.....

Also sadly, I've never had kids. Not too sure I'd want to raise them in this world of today, so am thankful I don't. However, talking about you and your son, and then thinking about my nephew really open up a big empty that I normally don't realize is there.

As much as everyone talks about documenting your MD finds, documenting this, documenting that, the only thing you ABSOLUTELY MUST document is now. Now, and all the infinite now's of the future. Life is cruel and bad things can happen at any time. Make certain to document all you can, just in case. ...I knew one guy that went so far as to hire a professional photographer to discreetly follow him and his family around on vacation. The following year something happened...can't remember what or to whom, but one of them was no more. The rest of the family had literally thousands of photos of that one vacation, in addition to what he had done. This happened long before the advent of digital cameras. One simple thing to do is to put up security cameras around your home, and make sure some of them happen to cover areas where you, your wife, and/or your son happen to do things together. After a while you practically forget the cameras are there, but the memories will be caught. THOSE are real treasures! Might even consider having 2 systems - one for security and another for the memories. Is a small price to pay for all the good times you'll be able to save and replay over and over and over.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
KCM , some people would just move on and avoid this kind of problems , BUT you didn't! you tried! SALUTE! He will remember your efforts down the road!

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sorry to be the one to open up any percieved holes in your life.

Short attention span is tied to diet partly. It's really obvious when you see fidgety preschoolers sitting for a story....and one child sitting motionless in the midst of movement. We feed both boys only fresh food 80% of the time. When I allow them sugar they behave just like disobedient monsters. The transformation is unreal.

If they act up I'll deny attention to them too. Works every time.

If you ever have regrets about not having children, you can borrow mine after I pump them full of sugar.... you'll love the little squealers! :cussing:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
er, no. Think I'll pass. I no longer possess the patience of Job! :laughing9:

Don't worry about bringing up any bad memories. As with most things, if you follow a memory long enough, you'll remember a few bumps to the ego as well. I have lots of good and great memories. Problem with getting old is, it's getting harder to make new memories, and even harder yet to REMEMBER them!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Problem with getting old is, it's getting harder to make new memories, and even harder yet to REMEMBER them!! :laughing7:

Isn't that the truth!

Things which happened long ago I remember clearly. Things which happened six months ago occasionally are mixed and matched from seperate but similar memories...it begins to blurr!

I guess it's not as bad as it reads, but it's bad enough for me! :occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
...Probably the one thing that frustrates me the most in this area is when I can't remember something recent, but can remember it 6 months later when it's no longer relevant! :tongue3:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Could someone recommend some places in Colorado where I can pan with a 5 yr. old (gold, silver, gems,whatever) and some inexpensive pans that are somewhat decent.

I have never panned but have watched some instructive videos with my son... he has gold nuggets sparkling in his eyes I think. 8-)

Thank you for your help.

Edit... and I'm not above droping a small purchased nugget into hos pan if it gets him hooked...lol.

My website has lots of info on free places to go panning in Colorado:
www.findingGOLDinColorado.com

For pans, stop in at Gold-n-Detectors in Golden Colorado and get a few 10 inch black pans and a nice 14 inch Proline Professional for yourself. Also buy a 1/2 ounce vial and a suction pipette to suck up your gold and store it.

Get some hands on panning training at the Phoenix Mine (see blog) or at the Argo Mine & Mill or at www.goldstrikeadventures.com if you want a whole guided outing!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your efforts are much appreciated, thank you.

For this activity, your site is my primary resource. Let's just say he's hopping up and down excited! :icon_biggrin:

I picked up a 10" stansport to practice with immediately. He had his face in the pan smelling it, hugging it....lmao. A pan! :laughing7:

Tell him we need to practice and he says, "I already know Dad. I watched those videos, and I've seen it on Nature Cat." (Paydirt1850's and a cartoon)

OK, we'll see, Son....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Throw some play sand and little prices of metal (snips of wire, fishing weights, BB's, etc) in a pan and practice with that. Lots of practice is good!

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sorry to be the one to open up any percieved holes in your life.

Short attention span is tied to diet partly. It's really obvious when you see fidgety preschoolers sitting for a story....and one child sitting motionless in the midst of movement. We feed both boys only fresh food 80% of the time. When I allow them sugar they behave just like disobedient monsters. The transformation is unreal.

If they act up I'll deny attention to them too. Works every time.

If you ever have regrets about not having children, you can borrow mine after I pump them full of sugar.... you'll love the little squealers! :cussing:

It's not the sugar, it's the artificial food coloring ;)

I've done extensive (and rather exhaustive) research on this in the past. I have a 10 yr old that was a total terror sent from Satan when he had junk food. I pulled it all - everything that had artificial anything went straight into the trash. The rule here is "if you can't grow it or kill it, you shouldn't eat it!" You can grow sugar cane, but you can't grow red 40.

Give them sugar but ditch the artificial stuff.

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your efforts are much appreciated, thank you.

For this activity, your site is my primary resource. Let's just say he's hopping up and down excited! :icon_biggrin:

I picked up a 10" stansport to practice with immediately. He had his face in the pan smelling it, hugging it....lmao. A pan! :laughing7:

Tell him we need to practice and he says, "I already know Dad. I watched those videos, and I've seen it on Nature Cat." (Paydirt1850's and a cartoon)

OK, we'll see, Son....

Trust him on this - my son said the same thing to me, well, almost - I'm not a dad, I'm a mom (obviously, the name gives it away). I was going to teach my son how to pan and he said, "I know how to do this." He had never held a gold pan before but like your son, he's watched the videos. So I told him to separate the black sand. I figured that there was no way he could do that on his first try, but that kid proved me wrong!

Those kiddos are like little sponges. When they say "I know how to ______" let them prove it. :D

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
On KevininColorado's advice I took the family to the Phoenix Gold mine on Tuesday. It was hot. 90+ degrees, but the cold mountain stream made it very enjoyable for everyone.

I explained the situation to one of the guides, paid the fee, and he took my son under his wing to give him 20 minutes of individual instruction. Thanks to Hank we all found gold on our own!

The gold was just dust and small, very small flakes, but it was enough to satisfy the little one. In fact he became obsessed with finding the quartz that Hank told him was "the best friend of gold". I was notified every time he pulled quartz from the stream...which was every minute it seemed.

The stream was easy enough that my 2 1/2 yr. old got to enjoy walking, falling down into, and sitting in. He loved floating pans down the current.

At first I was frustrated (no experience), but soon was able to reliably seperate the black sand from the gravel. I did see alot of gold in my pan, but alas it was too small to even pick up easily with wet fingers. I just dumped it back into the stream. No nuggets but great fun and a wonderful experience.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion Kevin. It was a hit with the whole family! :occasion14:

We will go again. :icon_thumleft:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On KevininColorado's advice I took the family to the Phoenix Gold mine on Tuesday. It was hot. 90+ degrees, but the cold mountain stream made it very enjoyable for everyone.

I explained the situation to one of the guides, paid the fee, and he took my son under his wing to give him 20 minutes of individual instruction. Thanks to Hank we all found gold on our own!

The gold was just dust and small, very small flakes, but it was enough to satisfy the little one. In fact he became obsessed with finding the quartz that Hank told him was "the best friend of gold". I was notified every time he pulled quartz from the stream...which was every minute it seemed.

The stream was easy enough that my 2 1/2 yr. old got to enjoy walking, falling down into, and sitting in. He loved floating pans down the current.

At first I was frustrated (no experience), but soon was able to reliably seperate the black sand from the gravel. I did see alot of gold in my pan, but alas it was too small to even pick up easily with wet fingers. I just dumped it back into the stream. No nuggets but great fun and a wonderful experience.

Thank you for the excellent suggestion Kevin. It was a hit with the whole family! :occasion14:

We will go again. :icon_thumleft:

Before you go out again pick up a snuffer bottle to save that gold since it all adds up. https://www.google.com/webhp?source...espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=snuffer bottle gold panning You also could save the small amount of material that the gold is in (concentrates) and pan more carefully at home still using a snuffer bottle or pipette to pick up the gold.

One other method I often use to pick up tiny gold (when I don't have a snuffer bottle handy) is to drain the water off the gold in the pan, dry a fingertip on your shirt or pants and press it onto the gold while it is still wet. The gold usually sticks to the fingertip but it will drop off as soon as it touches water again.....touch your finger to the water in a water filled vial or whatever to save the gold. Do this over the pan just in case it dries and falls off during the transfer.

Have fun with the kids and good luck.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm so glad it all worked out for you and your family. Trail Creek by the Phoenix Mine is very 2 year old kid friendly!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread