Gold Pan Collecting

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are there any other crazies like me that like to collect different style gold pans,wish we had more access to the pans used in South Africa and Europe,hope I am not the only crazy pan collector,post your most unique pan picture and be pan crazy:hello2::hello2::hello2: Heck I have even panned with a snow disc and it worked:icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft: and have been known to appropriate kitchen tools to try:tongue3: when left home alone

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, I collect ex-wives. Crazy? You go boy! :occasion14:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I quit collecting ex wives, Instead every 3 or 4 years I find some mean woman who hates me and I give her 1/2 of every thing I own.

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I want one of the flat pans. Looks awesome and really easy to use. Except you'd lose all of the pretty rocks. I know, that's the point - you want the gold and not the rocks, but I want both! ;)

OP
OP
T

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am trying to find a resource for the flat pans and speed pans popular some times called a winner pan or black mamba fast pan in Europe and South Africa. I am after the rocks also, as in everyone dislikes garnets in their pans , I love em enough good deep red garnets can be worth more than gold depending on quality and there are all different kinds of gem stones present all over the USA. Huntress I use a saruchia when looking for gems, not so hot on fine gold ,they work great once you give it some practice time and get the flip down without dumping it, as long as you like it and want to expand your collection and expertise, the value is all your very own, the very cool thing about rockhounding

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the video of the Saruca was interesting especially how the heavy materials are mostly in the center of the pie. For myself I will stick with my BatPan as the heavies also migrate to the center of the pan.................63bkpkr

OP
OP
T

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Huntress,just thought of an idea that maybe an economic way to get an almost flat pan and I think it would work for gems ,take a snow disc or large frisbee and drill small holes in spiral pattern down towards the center and maybe 1/16" in a spiral towards the center and decrease the hole size closer to the center of the disc and leave the very center undrilled.What I am finding is the flat pans from Europe are expensive $100 + plus shipping of $60 to US,pretty spendy for a plastic pan that is mainly focused on speed panning gold in a competition. I think I am going to try the frisbee idea just to see if it works and if it does do a snow disc as you dont have to fill up all the way ,just fill it to the weight a person can easily handle, What do you all think?????

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Huntress,just thought of an idea that maybe an economic way to get an almost flat pan and I think it would work for gems ,take a snow disc or large frisbee and drill small holes in spiral pattern down towards the center and maybe 1/16" in a spiral towards the center and decrease the hole size closer to the center of the disc and leave the very center undrilled.What I am finding is the flat pans from Europe are expensive $100 + plus shipping of $60 to US,pretty spendy for a plastic pan that is mainly focused on speed panning gold in a competition. I think I am going to try the frisbee idea just to see if it works and if it does do a snow disc as you dont have to fill up all the way ,just fill it to the weight a person can easily handle, What do you all think?????

I'd like to see it when you're finished.

That is pretty pricey! I promised myself that this was going to be a cheap hobby. None of my hobbies are cheap! lol

OP
OP
T

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you on the right track ,you may need finer screen than the standard window screen you could maybe get a bucket classifier screen and adapt it,maybe someone has tried it and knows which mesh works best, I would say the finer meshes would be the one to look at. Good luck on keeping it a cheap hobby,gold and treasure fever will keep you busy on the hunt for better ways and equipment.When I get to the prototype I will try and get a pic

SDBob

Jun 11, 2013
SE South Dakota
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, CZ5, Tesero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I follow Dan on his Youtube channel & this is a good one.

OP
OP
T

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome will be following his videos now ,Thanks,Wish I would have had mining equipment shop classes, heck I would love to even talk an old fart education class .Think It would be a hoot,Canada has us beat in the shop skills offerings to youth theses days,they still think those skill are important,wish our schools did. Who will pass on the skills and knowledge of prospecting in the US?

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I follow Dan on his Youtube channel & this is a good one.

My 10 yr old son found this video yesterday afternoon and was totally fascinated with this guy. I've never seen pvc that size at the big box stores though, but I've never looked.

Made one out of my husband's basketball jersey and an embroidery hoop today. Pretty happy with how it turned out but not happy with my lack of skill. It's only 6 inches in diameter, I was just testing it out the whole idea behind it. The wrinkles are from the trash bag I used as a temp drop cloth. I was also indoors and I used paverstone sand (crushed quartz) that I use as a mix in to break up GA red clay.

Definitely needs something stronger than jersey material! I just didn't want to use metal in my hoop.

mini.jpeg

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It occurs to me that you could make the frame with pieces from a couple of buckets. The bucket sections should be cut where they friction fit together. Position the wire screen on top of one bucket section and press the other one in on top of the screen to tension it in place. Might work?

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An embroidery hoop with window screen is the typical way sarucas are made so go for it!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
T

tinpan250

Oct 13, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Garret,TroyX5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I compared mine to standard window screen and much smaller holes in the sieve and the screen has not rusted,so likely stainless steel screen,why not just buy the short version of a bucket classifier cut it down height wise or you can order a screen only from the coin guy that has the classifiers with the changeable screens,sorry forgot his name

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wrote a big long response but when I tried to enter it the Tnet decided I was no longer signed in and it all was a wash. Long story short I collect pans. I like steel pans a lot. Recently got into painted pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread