Hello there! It's been a bit...Question about an old mine

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HH again :) it's been a bit since I've posted. I don't have much of an update right now about my property and its gold... I kind of gave up on it for now. I was stung by a few fire ants, they ended up in MY PANTS!!! No lie. So I called it quits right then and there. No fun battling fire ants in your kitchen. It was my fault for setting up "shop" there.

Then on 7/31, I was struck by lightning (indirectly) so I haven't been "all there" but I'm almost back to 100%. Almost, but I was never really 100% to begin with, I'm an artist by nature, and you know that we are NEVER all there!!! :tongue3:

One thing is for sure, I am a freaking cat. I've got about 5 or 6 lives left LOL Can't wait to start playing with electricity in a month when Christmas season begins (for the light addicts, not the "normal" people)

On to the point of my post: Yesterday I ventured off to a nearby creek that has an old gold mine on it. Where would be the best place to pan? Upstream from the old mine or downstream? If downstream, how far down stream would you hit first?

Upvote 0

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about the gold panning, but you may want to wear a life vest in the creek the way your luck is going. Hang in there and good luck :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't know about the gold panning, but you may want to wear a life vest in the creek the way your luck is going. Hang in there and good luck :icon_thumleft:

LOL! My neighbor gave me a very nice pair of Browning waterproof snake boots. Rubber for the lightning and steel toes for everything else! I should wear a life vest...probably should live in a rubber bubble too.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Almost hit by lightning?!?.....wow.
Welcome to the forum!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The best answer ANYONE can give is the very same answer anyone should use - sample, sample, sample. Try going a little way downriver and see if you get anything. If not, maybe try a little farther or maybe a little closer. Don't limit yourself to one side of the bank, and don't limit yourself to the banks. Check in the middle of the creek/river if that's possible. Also, don't forget to check higher on the bank. Look for round, washed river rock up beyond where the water can ever get to. Water erodes land - therefore, the land that is in the river now is not identical to the real estate that was there 100 years ago - or if a drier area, maybe 1,000 years ago, etc, etc, etc. And finally, don't limit yourself to downstream - check upstream.

There may be some amount of lost gold from the mine - assuming the mine was profitable at all. They might have been sloppy and spilled some, or lots. Or, they might have been very careful to NOT drop and lose their very hard handi-work (hint, hint) There's always the chance for accidents. Also, gold is worth much more now than it was then, so maybe they left behind material that wasn't worth transporting then, but would be well worth it now. ...Understand?

.....And I wasn't even struck by lightening! :tongue3::laughing9:

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best answer ANYONE can give is the very same answer anyone should use - sample, sample, sample. Try going a little way downriver and see if you get anything. If not, maybe try a little farther or maybe a little closer. Don't limit yourself to one side of the bank, and don't limit yourself to the banks. Check in the middle of the creek/river if that's possible. Also, don't forget to check higher on the bank. Look for round, washed river rock up beyond where the water can ever get to. Water erodes land - therefore, the land that is in the river now is not identical to the real estate that was there 100 years ago - or if a drier area, maybe 1,000 years ago, etc, etc, etc. And finally, don't limit yourself to downstream - check upstream.

There may be some amount of lost gold from the mine - assuming the mine was profitable at all. They might have been sloppy and spilled some, or lots. Or, they might have been very careful to NOT drop and lose their very hard handi-work (hint, hint) There's always the chance for accidents. Also, gold is worth much more now than it was then, so maybe they left behind material that wasn't worth transporting then, but would be well worth it now. ...Understand?

Je comprends :D

I have a few buckets from upstream. I hope there's a little something in there!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if you got any pics, or want to give a detailed story, be sure to check out the "injury thread" in general discussion forum.:laughing7::headbang:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it were me I'd start off close to the mine, probably just slightly down stream from it. Hope you find something and don't forget to share with us!

Last edited:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BREAKING NEWS!

you can go upstream and down- the rules do not prohibit doing both

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey JG, think I covered that, also. :thumbsup:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electricity? One of my other hobbies is Tesla coiling.

streamer.JPG

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HH,
Sample up or down stream but sample in the more likely places. On this forum or You tube or the internet in general search for information on "How to Read a River". Heavy material, lead fishing weights as well as gold, will settle in specific areas along the outside bends of a river/stream/creek/crick etc. as that is where the water pressure drops off. There are other places to look IF they exist at your particular place like on the down river side of obstructions to the flow of the water: think large rocks/boulders, sunken trees and the like. Best of luck with your adventures and my best wishes to you for staying well................63bkpkr

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
HH again :) it's been a bit since I've posted. I don't have much of an update right now about my property and its gold... I kind of gave up on it for now. I was stung by a few fire ants, they ended up in MY PANTS!!! No lie. So I called it quits right then and there. No fun battling fire ants in your kitchen. It was my fault for setting up "shop" there.

Then on 7/31, I was struck by lightning (indirectly) so I haven't been "all there" but I'm almost back to 100%. Almost, but I was never really 100% to begin with, I'm an artist by nature, and you know that we are NEVER all there!!! :tongue3:

One thing is for sure, I am a freaking cat. I've got about 5 or 6 lives left LOL Can't wait to start playing with electricity in a month when Christmas season begins (for the light addicts, not the "normal" people)

On to the point of my post: Yesterday I ventured off to a nearby creek that has an old gold mine on it. Where would be the best place to pan? Upstream from the old mine or downstream? If downstream, how far down stream would you hit first?

Short answer....Just because there is an old mine in the area does not mean that the gold in your creek came from that source so check both up and down stream. Other good answers in this thread on how to do it.

Good luck

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, upstream has been dud so far in the places I've checked. Got a bunch of amethyst, few specks of flour gold, and quite a few river rocks for my a/c drain line. :/ At least I don't have to drive to Home Depot for rocks now. yay ??? it's time for a beer

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great ideal---I will drink to that :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread