Hit a new creek today

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
North Metro Atlanta area, Georgia
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, new to me, not new to the old miners in the 1800s or those that have panned in the area. My son was about over it and he was too busy going in and out of my backpack (that was on my back) plus he was exhausted. No luck for the few quick pans I was able to do, but thinking about going again soon. Does it look promising from the pics? I'm not looking to strike it rich, just a few pieces to stare at would be nice. Beggars can't be choosers!

I'm not good at reading creeks yet. Working on it!

13.jpg 14.jpg 12.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I don't know your area HH, and it being hard to tell from a picture if a creek is promising, all I can say is sample, sample sample. Top and bottom layers of the band of gravel for sure.

Good on you for getting out there with your son. best of luck.
Mike

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Looks good to me! I worked a private area back in 2003 and it was around Ball Ground Georgia that was known for good gold back in its day. UNFORTUNATLY for me ,when I was there with my 4 inch dredge everything was flooded and running swift. But I had fun any way!

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see someone getting out there! good for you.
I am SO itching to get my hands dirty so working on getting a day to myself here soon.

Pic #2 - I would work that gravel band good.
From the looks of the water level, A gold rush Nugget Bucket would work great for you and your son.
Or a nice little rocker box.

Good luck to you H.H.

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
I second Delnorter's advice. I will add that if you do find some color, follow the bedrock. From picture 1, I would sample the material on top of the bedrock where it slopes into the stream. In picture 2, It appears that gravel layer is sitting on top of bedrock, if so, the bottom of that band should provide you with some color and again work the material on top of the bedrock as it enters the creekbed. If you find any cracks or pockets in the bedrock, clean those out the best you can. Good Luck!!!

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second Delnorter's advice. I will add that if you do find some color, follow the bedrock. From picture 1, I would sample the material on top of the bedrock where it slopes into the stream. In picture 2, It appears that gravel layer is sitting on top of bedrock, if so, the bottom of that band should provide you with some color and again work the material on top of the bedrock as it enters the creekbed. If you find any cracks or pockets in the bedrock, clean those out the best you can. Good Luck!!!

NICE!
Thanks QNC for helping me look at pic #1 again in a different light.
what a difference.

G

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you all!! I believe that someone is mining that area - and you cannot mine the way they are on Corps land. So not sure what to do about that and I hope they don't screw up my chances of panning legally! It's also a hunting area and hunting season is about to start. I know that in the fall, I will be wearing bright pink and definitely not a hat with antlers on it!! lol There are no mining claims on this property

I hate that I spent my childhood at the roadside gold stands in Dahlonega (not anything reputable, these were truly roadside stands) with "salted" buckets for $5-$10 a pop. I would have loved to have learned all of this stuff earlier. It's hard teaching an old dog new tricks! I'm only 35... hardly old but far from young.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've heard there's awesome gold in N metro ATL. Good luck finding a hot spot behind your local liquor store or Toys-R-Us...you might be quite surprised!?

OP
OP
HobbyHuntress

HobbyHuntress

Jun 3, 2016
Detector(s) used
None yet!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've heard there's awesome gold in N metro ATL. Good luck finding a hot spot behind your local liquor store or Toys-R-Us...you might be quite surprised!?

Wait a minute...liquor store, toys r us... have they combined? Because you need liquor to shop in Toys R Us on Black Friday! ha!

There is some awesome gold here, somewhere, I just have to find it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread