Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Upvote 0

HardHatMatt

Mar 15, 2016
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for sharing and sorry you guys didn't make a rich strike on behalf of your prospecting buddy! Personally, I would have a hard time separating gold from the other heavies with that much material in the pan. Might try a little less material in the pan and see if that reveals anything shiny within the dark abyss! Of course, sometimes it simply ain't there...happy hunting and keep us posted!

OP
OP
Daryl Friesen

Daryl Friesen

Mar 21, 2003
Vancouver,British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Thanks I will. A toast to gold filled pans for all.. I keep all my black sands so after going through all of it some color was found. So it's not all a sad story.

thanks for watching.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a newbie to mining/panning I kind of like the challenge black sand imposes on me. I got a 1lb bag of dirt that is mostly black sand with some small gravel and brown sand. 1st go at it was pretty frustrating and I used a black sand magnet early on in the panning process. Once I extracted what I thought was all the gold I panned it again. Magnet + black sand = lost gold in the end. Dirt is cleaned of gold now so I use it for practice with known quantity of gold thrown in. Working onow panning speed now. Thinking I was way too paranoid when panning off the heavy stuff initially.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I wouldn't worry about speed when your panning! I like to pan slow myself with small amounts of screened cons! I have my best results that way! BUT Im old and slow anyway!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want a real curse? Try when you pan down to black sand and you have 1/3 of a pan full of it! And if you're on a really good patch, you start with a pan full of it. That's what I get on Lake Superior!

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't worry about speed when your panning! I like to pan slow myself with small amounts of screened cons! I have my best results that way! BUT Im old and slow anyway!

In prospecting mode I'd think faster panning would be a must. Seems like slow panning would be best for concentrates taken home for later.

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You want a real curse? Try when you pan down to black sand and you have 1/3 of a pan full of it! And if you're on a really good patch, you start with a pan full of it. That's what I get on Lake Superior!

Sounds both fun and challenging at the same time. Guess depending on how much gold is in it the meter could sway towards a not so fun experience in the end.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In prospecting mode I'd think faster panning would be a must. Seems like slow panning would be best for concentrates taken home for later.

When you are in a situation where you are only using a pan for recovery and you want to maximize the amount of material that you run in a day (you want to do this since running more material usually equates to more gold), then production panning is the way to go. The method is pretty much as follows......Fill the pan and reduce to a half pan or less, add more material on top of what you have and reduce again then repeat as many more times as you want to or until most of what is retained is black sands and other heavies (these are usually in the 1/4" or less range). Accumulate and take home (or process at the end of the day) the final results from several pan cleanouts of mostly black sands. Each reduction stage should go pretty quickly as you are mostly removing larger stones, silt and other lighter stones and they are the easiest things to pan off. Reducing each separate pan to black sands, then saving, is counter productive in that, that process is time consuming and takes away from the total amount of material that can be run in a day.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Oct 7, 2016
SoCal
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ arizau

Thanks!...Sounds easy enough while saving/maximizing time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions