new to panning

caheaton

Greenie
May 16, 2011
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2 & F70
Hello,
I've only tried gold panning once (as a young kid) in a local creek here in Ohio. Found a couple glitter sized flakes that I promptly lost :rolleyes: , so I consider myself new to this. :smile: , but at least I understand the principles and what's involved.

Anyway, my wife and I are traveling to Phoenix to visit some friends next month and I had the idea of spending a day or two panning for gold as something that could be fun and different for us to try (we enjoy the outdoors, hiking, etc). My research shows that the Lynx Creek area seems to be a decent place to investigate. I'm wondering if anyone can point us to a reliable area to five it a go...not expecting to get rich (though that would be nice), but it would be nice to recover a tiny nugget or two to have as a souvenir. (I plan to purchase a couple of the Garrett pan kits for us to use...)

I'm also wondering about the roads...I'll be driving a rental sedan so off roading would be off limits and given that we'll have a young child with us we won't be able to hike very far (say within a half hour from where we park). With these caveats, any suggestions? Any other public areas besides Lynx Creek that we could check? Prefer wet panning but dry panning is okay too. If the area is promising enough I may even bring the F70 along (but will leave it the wisdom of the group here is that's necessary or if I should just stick to panning).

Thanks much for the help!

Upvote 0

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be best to rent an SUV but a crossover or something with AWD is good enough. You just need to watch out when driving up the washes that you don't run over the cactus because it can punch a tire. I ran washes in a Geo Metro one year and had no problems but knowing how to drive a car off road is a plus. I'm not from Arizona but I did make the trip to Stanton and there's a ton of info and movies on Lynx Creek along with this 3D topo -
Lynx Creek Map

Click the map to enlarge it, then click it again to show it at 100% then save it for your trip :)

LynxCreekMD.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread