Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Colorado for Spring Break Gold Panning

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jan 2016
    California
    Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
    789 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Can you guys camp on that river? Or is it day trip only?

us
    www.FindingGOLDinColorado.com

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, bench top rod mill, Whippet drywasher
    8711 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfleks View Post
    Can you guys camp on that river? Or is it day trip only?
    It's dawn to dusk only but there are RV parks fairly close by. Closest campground for tents is probably a 20 min drive.

us
    May 2016
    Le Claire, IA
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    It's dawn to dusk only but there are RV parks fairly close by. Closest campground for tents is probably a 20 min drive.
    We stopped by the Walmart near by (kids and pregnant wife) and noticed a RV parked there. I have a bumper pull tailer and am really tempted to come stay there, after baby is a bit older. Lol

Here is what I have so far. Premise is that even with pay dirt my wife has bought me, I spread it over time, because I don't get access to these rich goods like kevin and the like. The attached photos will show what I came home with, and what pan set I'm using, and the little speck from my first pan. I will probably spend the planning over some time, just to re-live the excitement. Any one else see that little speck. Ah yeah! I know there is more to come, because I saw it as I was panning.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170318_222606654.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	1428570

Name:	IMG_20170318_223441970.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	1428572 CG
    Last edited by rosej3570; Mar 19, 2017 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Oops

us
    May 2016
    Le Claire, IA
    66 times
    Deleted
    Last edited by rosej3570; Mar 19, 2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Deleted

us
    May 2016
    Le Claire, IA
    66 times
    Here is an update. I see a lot of flour sized gold but I don't know how to get to it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170319_193003622.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	1428990
    Hunt4gold and GoldpannerDave like this.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Bazooka Goldtrap Prospector, Bazooka Goldtrap Sniper, Bazooka Goldtrap SuperMini, Angus Mackirk Expedition, custom metal sluices, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump, bench top rod mill, Whippet drywasher
    8711 times
    Prospecting
    russau and Clay Diggins like this.

us
    May 2016
    Le Claire, IA
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    Perfect, thank you. I need to get my hands on some classifying screens now.
    KevinInColorado likes this.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    1807 times
    Prospecting
    Here is one of the classifier sets that I own. https://www.amazon.com/Camel-Mining-.../dp/B009WV1QW4
    Even though the smallest screen size is listed as 60 mesh it seems, for some unknown reason, to be the same opening size as a 100 mesh screen from another set that I own since the same material will pass either screen equally. For that reason, and since it is larger in diameter than my other set, it is what I mostly use. In any case the camel set should be adequate for your use but a google search may reveal a less expensive supplier or manufacturer that better suits your budget.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    May 2016
    Le Claire, IA
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Here is one of the classifier sets that I own. https://www.amazon.com/Camel-Mining-.../dp/B009WV1QW4
    Even though the smallest screen size is listed as 60 mesh it seems, for some unknown reason, to be the same opening size as a 100 mesh screen from another set that I own since the same material will pass either screen equally. For that reason, and since it is larger in diameter than my other set, it is what I mostly use. In any case the camel set should be adequate for your use but a google search may reveal a less expensive supplier or manufacturer that better suits your budget.

Good luck.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C7...TZ4YR430NV3W0K

I was also looking at this set. I don't think I need all of them but they may be nice to have.

us

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    8711 times
    Prospecting
    Get the ones arizau suggests, that's a better set for several reasons.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    1807 times
    Prospecting
    Here are a couple of reasons.....those are bucket classifiers intended to handle large volumes of feed material and the smallest mesh size is 20. Your picture of the panned material indicates to me that much or all of what you have is already smaller than that. At least a couple of reducing steps smaller than that (say 40 or 50 mesh and 80 or 100 mesh) will advantage you when you are panning. Gold when it is about the same size as everything else in the pan is fairly easy to pan since it will be two or more times as heavy as other individual particles of it's own relative size. I have bucket classifiers too but do not use them for already concentrated material since, at the end of the day, I usually only have a quart or so to process.

Good luck
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 20, 2017 at 06:24 PM.

us
    May 2016
    Le Claire, IA
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    Here are a couple of reasons.....those are bucket classifiers intended to handle large volumes of feed material and the smallest mesh size is 20. Your picture of the panned material indicates to me that much or all of what you have is already smaller than that. At least a couple of reducing steps smaller than that (say 40 or 50 mesh and 80 or 100 mesh) will advantage you when you are panning. Gold when it is about the same size as everything else in the pan is fairly easy to pan since it will be two or more times as heavy as other individual particles of it's own relative size. I have bucket classifiers too but do not use them for already concentrated material since, at the end of the day, I usually only have a quart or so to process.

Good luck
    Awesome. Thank you for the input, still trying to figure it all out. I will take a closer look at the ones suggested.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2016
    Colorado, Littleton
    571 times
    Prospecting
    Nice bit of color for your first outing! Looks like you are hooked on prospecting - its a great way to get into the outdoors and the kids can join you.

us
    May 2016
    Le Claire, IA
    66 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt4gold View Post
    Nice bit of color for your first outing! Looks like you are hooked on prospecting - its a great way to get into the outdoors and the kids can join you.
    Got the camel sieves that were suggested yesterday. Tried driving when wet and didn't like it, so dry some if the cons I brought home tonight.glad we don't get rid of old pans right now, but since we are moving soon I don't like the idea of moving them.

Btw, I did find a few more bits yesterday after sieving some wet. Still working on my technique for getting that fine gold.

Name:	IMG_20170324_194828283_HDR.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	69.7 KB 
ID:	1430644

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    1807 times
    Prospecting
    Wet or dry probably the best way to screen is to progressively run each screen separately and save what passes for the next smaller size screen, etc. Do not try to run a lot of material at a time as the screen might clog or some of the material will not even migrate down to it so in both cases there may be incomplete classification. Of course keep the different sized material separate.

Good luck.
    Last edited by arizau; Mar 24, 2017 at 08:39 PM.
    rosej3570 and KevinInColorado like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links