Colorado for Spring Break Gold Panning

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family (wife and 3 kids) are heading to Colorado for Spring break (mid March). We are planning on going around Colorado Springs, but we will have some abilities to go other places to, as long as there are things to do. Are there any suggestions on places to try and pan on public land? All I have panned is a creek on my families farm, got black sands, so I was happy, and my wife got me some pay dirt for my birthday, which was fun. I won't have a lot of time, but wanted to at least try.

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just an 1 1/2 hour north of Colorado Springs is Denver, which has several locations along the South Platte River where you can pan/sluice for gold (no dredging or motorized equipment). Also, there is a section of Clear Creek in Denver you can pan/sluice, as well as several miles of Clear Creek in the Canyon just west of Golden. You can pretty much find gold at all these areas.
Check out this web site for areas to prospect for gold: good resource and information.

Finding Gold in Colorado ? Historic Sites & Modern Honey Holes

If you head up this way, shoot me a PM and maybe I can show you some areas to go.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post rosej - so, Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Iowa for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.
metal_detector.gif
2nd - You might also browse Sub-Forums: Colorado for additional information...

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been lurking here on and off for a while. Finally found a reason to post. Thank you for the tips on the sub-forums, I hadn't seen them before.

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt4gold,

Even though I want to build a small portable dredge (having access to a full metal shop helps with this) all I will have is a couple pans, so a trip to Clear Creek may be a good thing. i have been reading about it, so it is good to hear that it may be worth a trip. Thank you for the tips.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hope you enjoy the website, feel free to reach out if it leaves you with questions:)

FYI, us gold prospectors don't really use the Colorado sub forum...it's dominated by the detectorists.

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So it looks like I will be at Arapahoe Bar next Wednesday to try my hand at Colorado panning. I am definitely excited. Planning on bringing my pans rubber boots, 1/2" sieve, bucket, and folding shovel. Probably will only have a couple hours, as my family will be with, but at least I will be able to say I have panned in Colorado. :)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So it looks like I will be at Arapahoe Bar next Wednesday to try my hand at Colorado panning. I am definitely excited. Planning on bringing my pans rubber boots, 1/2" sieve, bucket, and folding shovel. Probably will only have a couple hours, as my family will be with, but at least I will be able to say I have panned in Colorado. :)

I'd suggest sampling existing holes along the far (North) bank, especially if you find black/gray rocks and gravel. Bring a snuffer bottle to suck up your gold too...you will find some!!

If you are on Facebook, join the 'Finding Gold in Colorado' FB group and post your plans if you'd like to get a local to come guide you :)

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd suggest sampling existing holes along the far (North) bank, especially if you find black/gray rocks and gravel. Bring a snuffer bottle to suck up your gold too...you will find some!!

If you are on Facebook, join the 'Finding Gold in Colorado' FB group and post your plans if you'd like to get a local to come guide you :)
Thank you for the tips. I just had a moment to check here. We will be at the bar in about 20 minutes. Got a banjo pan to. Never used one before. May get concentrates that way.

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Come on' , give me some color....

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on' , give me some color....
Just spent about 2.5 hours out there. Saw lots of color. Got some concentrates to work on and practice with when I get home. Pretty sure I got a bit to much sun but it was awesome. Others there getting a decent amount with sluices. I'll report more when I get a chance. Thank you to all that gave advise!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was there today too but just from 4:15-5:45 ...sorry I missed ya!

Glad to hear you saw gold in your pan :)

Hunt4gold

Oct 20, 2016
Colorado, Littleton
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was also there with Kevin around 4:30-5:45 --- Was fun just to get out after work for a bit of panning while Kevin shoveled into his sluice.
Looking forward to another post from you on how the clean-up goes.

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was also there with Kevin around 4:30-5:45 --- Was fun just to get out after work for a bit of panning while Kevin shoveled into his sluice.
Looking forward to another post from you on how the clean-up goes.
Traveling with the family, I won't have much of a chance to clean up until this weekend when we get home, but as I was packing the vehicle this morning I moved the banjo pan. There was some fine dried sand in it, so naturally I had to look close. Nothing in the pan, nothing I could see in the gold trap, then the mat. A small flake! I can't believe it hadn't fallen out.

I didn't know how well the banjo pan would work, so half my cons came from it and half from my pan. I really regret not bringing two buckets, one to sieve smaller stuff into and one for the cons. Next time!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd love to hear your feedback/ review on that Banjo Pan.

Goldfleks

Jan 30, 2016
California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT-300, Tesoro Sand Shark 10.5", Bazooka Sniper, Bazooka Prospector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you guys camp on that river? Or is it day trip only?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can you guys camp on that river? Or is it day trip only?

It's dawn to dusk only but there are RV parks fairly close by. Closest campground for tents is probably a 20 min drive.

OP
OP
R

rosej3570

May 26, 2016
Le Claire, IA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's dawn to dusk only but there are RV parks fairly close by. Closest campground for tents is probably a 20 min drive.
We stopped by the Walmart near by (kids and pregnant wife) and noticed a RV parked there. I have a bumper pull tailer and am really tempted to come stay there, after baby is a bit older. Lol

Here is what I have so far. Premise is that even with pay dirt my wife has bought me, I spread it over time, because I don't get access to these rich goods like kevin and the like. The attached photos will show what I came home with, and what pan set I'm using, and the little speck from my first pan. I will probably spend the planning over some time, just to re-live the excitement. Any one else see that little speck. Ah yeah! I know there is more to come, because I saw it as I was panning.
IMG_20170318_222606654.jpg
IMG_20170318_223441970.jpg CG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread