Bad pans & good pans .

jack outbush

Oct 19, 2014
Desert in Australia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Having used many types of pans for many years I now support the Kress hypothesis . :icon_thumleft:
Some years back i posted the following :--

GOLD PAN and the Kress hypothesis
The importance of the angle of slope of the circular wall is implicit in all US patents for gold pans, but only in the 1950s did any inventor properly examine the effect of the slope on panning performance. It was Bruce Kress who first developed a hypothesis for wall slope in 1957 in US patent #2,797,809. The Kress hypothesis might be reworded as:
The angle of inward slope of the circular wall of a gold pan should be in the range of 18 to 26 degrees; less than this and the contents of the pan are likely to remain inert, more than this and the contents of the pan are prone to collapse regardless of the size of the particles or their density.

If the Kress hypothesis is correct, then the majority of North American pans have outer walls that are much too steep for ease of efficient use. Yet thousands of recreational miners, prospectors and geologists continue to use steep-sided pans. Possibly the Kress hypothesis is erroneous; more likely the hypothesis is correct but compromised by the overriding desire of the panner to have a central flat area of maximum size to contain the maximum ore and water during the initial wetting, disaggregating and sorting. Only in the later stages of panning does the Kress hypothesis become critical, after the volume of solids and water in the pan have become greatly reduced. Tests and detailed observations are required. In the 50 years since the Kress hypothesis was propounded; more than 10 North American gold pans have been patented but all ignore it.

Please consider when buying your next pan !

jack

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well sure... about time someone brought this to our attention.
My Garrett super sluice destroys!!!!

Thank you for the above educational thread. It will take me a bit to look up some of the words....and their meaning(s)....

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jack outbush

Oct 19, 2014
Desert in Australia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well sure... about time someone brought this to our attention.
My Garrett super sluice 35"? destroys!!!!

Thank you for the above educational thread. It will take me a bit to look up some of the words....and their meaning(s)....

Appreciate your comments Oregon Viking , Bruce Kress was a thinker who tested things , I consider him an innovator ' I was young when he applied for this patent , wish I could have met him :award_star_gold_1:

https://www.google.com/patents/US2797809

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am a huge fan of steep sided pans, most modern pans are not steep enough. The Garrett supersluice has fairly steep sides and really does destroy material. I have handled a Kress pan but have not used one but first impression was it was just another trick pan.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do realize that you change the angle of the dangle as needed? The angle in relation to the flat bottom is not all that important it is overcome with skill and practice and believe it or not becomes pretty manageable.

I think we'll be ok

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Bad pans & good pans .

Look at the European competition pans. They have no slope to the outer rim at all yet manage to catch gold using a series of concentric rings in a basically flat plane. The reality is that is gold found in a wide range of shapes from very thin flakes to nearly spherical pieces. The ideal pan shape to best retain flakes is likely to be different than the ideal shape to retain ball shaped pieces. We could get into issues like angular velocities of spinning the pan while stratifying, cyclic rates of shaking the pan back and forth, depth of water in the pan while washing off the light material, etc. ad infinitum. Every panner has his/her own style of panning and I suppose you could design an ideal pan for each individual, much as people in certain sports have their equipment custom made for them. In the real world, manufacturers make pans for average conditions and users adapt their styles to utilize the best characteristics of whatever pan is being used at the time. I have more pans than brains and I have tried almost every new type of pan made in the last 25 years yet, if I could have only one, it would probably be a standard Garrett or Keene style round pan in the shape and configuration we see most often out in the stream beds.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You do realize that you change the angle of the dangle as needed? The angle in relation to the flat bottom is not all that important it is overcome with skill and practice and believe it or not becomes pretty manageable.

I think we'll be ok

This is the key fact.

As most folks work down to the heavies, they naturally adjust the angle of the pan wall to be flatter. Simple.

PS the Garrett Super Sluice kills but it's so heavy I usually carry my Proline Professional instead.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I read that with the Le Trap gold pan you either love it or hate it.

le trap.JPG

Then we have the "turbo" pan....

turbopan_green_angle3.jpg

There is the Trinity gold pan.

5079bl_1_.jpg

Gold grabber.

gold grabber.jpg

The gold claw.

Gold_Claw.jpg

The Garrett Acentric pan... Looks like something went wrong at the factory....

acentric pan.jpg

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the key fact.

As most folks work down to the heavies, they naturally adjust the angle of the pan wall to be flatter. Simple.

PS the Garrett Super Sluice kills but it's so heavy I usually carry my Proline Professional instead.

You are right Kevin, the super sluice is heavy... But so am I....perfect match!:laughing7:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FFFPatriot

Feb 21, 2017
Montana
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug II, 4 Kidde brand smoke detectors, and 1 carbon monoxide detector I bought from Home Depot (can't remember the brand).
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't forget these... The "Gold Hex" and the "Banjo" pans.

Attachments

• MIN7000126.jpg
    MIN7000126.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 181
  • Banjo-Pan-Pink.jpg
    Banjo-Pan-Pink.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,207
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jack outbush

Oct 19, 2014
Desert in Australia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Guys ' shallower angled pans do a better faster job of discharging the lighter material yet still retain the heavies , that's what a good pan is all about :dontknow:
If I teach some newbee's with both steep & shallow sided pans the better results with always side with the shallow sided pans , try it your self !

jack .

T

Tuolumne

any bad pan is one thats smooth and not seasoned,

I like the roaring camp pans but they are too smooth and need some rough texture and not just super slick plastic........

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1957+kress+pan.jpg
I reviewed the Kress pan and wrote a short article on it back in 2011.
Rather than repeat the article here, just go to my blog and read about it.
The Kress Pan

Bob

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting.... So, it's a fairly flat pan, with a built in classifier, that can't be bought!
I looked all over the interweb and could not find one.

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right now my Kress pan is in storage but it has a very shallow draft of 22 degrees.
You can make one with a modern steel pan and some punch plate if you're handy, but you're still stuck with the modern 45 degree draft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread