East Fork San Gabriel and Klondikeike's "Mystery Bench" update?

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys so I wanted to start a new thread about an update the East Fork of the San Gabriel River in California and also about Klondikeike, the legendary old timer 'round here.

I've only been seriously gold prospecting for about 3/4 weeks and the EF is my new stomping grounds, so I was hoping to stir up some conversation about any updates to the river and such. I could also use lots of advice since I am learning.

To get right to it, while doing heavy research I discovered this thread: EAST FORK , SAN GABRIAL , SO CAL (Jan 14, 2012, 04:16 PM)

There was never a definitive yes or no as to whether or not anyone found the bench deposit he was talking about. It has been intriguing me ever since I read it and I've even come up with a theory and would love to discuss it with y'all, and now 5 years has passed so I wonder if maybe there's some fresh ground to pick at. Also, I was just wondering if anyone knows klondikeike and knows if he's still around or what, since he hasn't been active for a while.

-Gneissguy

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a huge amount of country up there. As far as a lost bench deposit, I don't know. You might look from a high vantage point to try to find remnants of the ancient river. If you can find a bench below the old Big Horn Mine, you could be on to something .The EFSG is a beautiful and intriguing place. Don't know about Klondikeike either. Not a very helpful response. Good luck

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
East Fork San Gabriel and Klondikeike's "Mystery Bench" update?

It's south of the parking lot. I found my first tiny piece of gold there but that's all I got out of it. Like many of the benches at EF, there are boulders sticking out of it that you REALLY don't want to disturb. The bench in question would have been on an outside curve when the stream was at that level, so it isn't ideal. It's also very far from the stream so bucketing dirt to a sluice is impractical. The bench isn't even on the same side of the road as the stream. Still there is a worn path leading to the bench, probably from people who've seen that thread and tried their luck.

I came across that thread a few years ago as well and after lots of sampling, climbing, and risk taking, I've concluded that there may be people on the internet who exaggerate a bit at times. There is easier gold in SoCal. Easier gold in EF as well. You just might have to walk further.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have to agree. Get your sluice in the water and run material from in or near the water.

I remember that thread. Just like any gold tale, most of the fun is in the chase. (I heard there's treasure on Oak Island. ) That said, a bit of GEarth reveals a spot you might check. I'll try to get the coordinates to you. A pinpointer would do best. Think stealth. I'm not sure on the FS policy, or the actual laws. Be sure you do of course. (Since you are new a brief mention of EF "policy"is in order. Due to unknown reasons the official stance on prospecting is NO. PERIOD! If you were to ask them.

So it may not be clear what is legal since they will tell you it's ALL illegal. Working the high benches is one area that will cause them to take action. )

OP
OP
M

MrGneissGuy

May 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right right. I've done my research and am aware of the law. I'm curious about this spot you found on google earth, that's basically what I've been trying to do is research locations to prospect. That's where I have all my fun, in prospecting.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also try North Fork. I got platinum in several pans there. Just go to where the bridge crosses over the river before the big uphill curve to where wild land firefighting vehicles park. Never got any gold from there though. Dont trash the place, as there are cameras on the bridge looking down (on the South Side).

Mike

oidium45

Mar 6, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also try North Fork. I got platinum in several pans there. Just go to where the bridge crosses over the river before the big uphill curve to where wild land firefighting vehicles park. Never got any gold from there though. Dont trash the place, as there are cameras on the bridge looking down (on the South Side).

Mike

Any pics of the platinum? I think I may have found some in EF.

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back into treasure net after being gone for a few years. Just so you know I did not exaggerate one bit. I gave the gps cords up to plenty of people who got some nice gold including nuggets. I even posted pics of the dirt layer to dig in. I was going to Quartzsite and thought I would do better. I thought flood water would wash the area out so I gave it up doing people a favor. I have gone back twice and put some friends on to some good gold. I am not one of those people that exaggerate a bit, I am a prospector that has done his time in the field and has found some decent gold.open your eyes and look up,there is an ancient stream above the spot that feeds the gold down to the water

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GPS coordinates [emoji3166]?

moondog2000

Mar 19, 2010
Beaumont California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT,MXT,GOLD MONSTER 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have the cords anymore but I can describe the spot and I do have pics if I can figure out how to reduce them. I gave the cords to several people and if they see this they might chime in and give them up.after you get to heaton flats you reach a concrete bridge support with something asking for fish info, right past that cross the stream and all along that side I found gold. look for a layer that is medium dark, in fact test pan all layers if they are visible and hopefully you will find the one rich in flake. Its been hard worked but I still seem to find something. If the brush is thin you can see an ancient stream bed above that has supplied the gold. Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread