Skunked at Skunk Hollow

Crabs

Nov 19, 2014
Folsom, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took my grandson Trenton panning at Skunk Hollow, it's just a mile or so from Salmon Falls Bridge where the South Fork of the American River dumps into Folsom Lake.
Folsom Lake is higher than I've seen it in years, the water is above the tree line and there's a lot of debris in all of the coves.
The river is still running VERY high and VERY cold, there's lots of snow melting off of the old Sierras.
Recreational boaters/water skiiers, jet ski's be forewarned. If you hit a submerged log while at speed you might only have seconds before you sink and the water is ice cold.
That being said, Trenton and I panned for hours and didn't find a speck of gold.
I know we're looking in the right areas, we found plenty of black sand and a few shotgun pellets (you can see two in the pic below).
Even though we didn't find any gold, we found lots of natural beauty and had the best Gramps and Grandson day in the world.
Our next expedition is over to Auburn, I've a friend who has offered to guide us directly to the gold. Fingers crossed.

Crabs and Trenton

Attachments

• 20170604_105930.jpg
    20170604_105930.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20170604_113906.jpg
    20170604_113906.jpg
    680.1 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get gold there but not right now. The gold baring material is literally 30 ft under water at skunk hollow. The lake is right at capacity and the drop should start soon but will be 2 months before you can pan gold there. Also be careful as its not technically an open area. I've been going there for several years and never had a problem as the state Park guys have looked the other way. Well I can tell you I got harassed twice there this year before the water came up. The guy who has been coming to close the gate at night is named Craig and he is not miner friendly.

The NF American is running very high still and is dangerous so make sure nobody falls in.

I would suggest the Bear River Campground right now for beginners. It's easy, safe and the pay is accessible much more so then the other rivers right now. Your not going to find nuggets or get rich there but if I was taking a kid out to pan right now that's where I'd take them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Crabs

Nov 19, 2014
Folsom, California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually that steel needs to be blued in a fire. Almost impossible to see fine gold in a silvery metal pan.

Actually Kev, it's not all that silvery, it's an artifact of the camera and the sunlight
The pan is 40 years old and quite dull with some surface rust and tons of character.
I've bought some of Elky13's Alaska pay dirt and I've no problems at all with seeing gold.
I just wish I would see some native California gold in it. *sigh*
:icon_scratch:

'Crabs

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Morning Crabs,
As mytimetoshine has indicated, there is gold out there and his wise advice on the water should be remembered. Likely later in the year, late july or so, the rivers will be safer to work around and more areas will be exposed. It is great your are out there with the Grandson, makes for some superb memories!............63bkpkr

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
There aint NO way you got skunked while out with your grandson!! The treasure you experienced while out with the grandson will last forever! Good move on your part! Gold or no gold!:hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions