Hi Newbie from Cali here!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of us use a laundry tub or masonry tub or similar to pan at home. As a newbie, it's a smart way to practice and improve your panning technique. For everyone, it's smart to do your finish panning at home rather than at the creek. At home you have better control of lighting (the better to see your small gold) and can set up an efficient process for classifying the material and panning to get to clean gold.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just need a pan/basin/tub to hold water.. Sometimes at home, I just use my Garrett Super Sluice pan as a basin for cleanup
when I'm panning with a 10"

Bus Bins from your local restaurant supply store are good also.. I have 9 or 10 of those (perfect size for washing your gold cube out into also),
they are usually light grey in color and hold almost 5 gallons of water.. Usually about $5 and they aren't really fragile, but you can break 'em if
you abuse them...

5 gallon water bowl over on the left. That's my panning area at the shop..
32978361434_6016fb2e37_c.jpg

Figuring out what to pan in is pretty easy... The hard part is getting the dirt, that has some gold, that you can pan at home.

Masonry tubs are good, lowes or home depot has 'em.. The small one is cheap, though a bit large for counter top use, but works for a clean up
sluice/miller table pretty well. Those are pretty fragile.

Lately I've been using a 5 gallon water bowl from down at the Horse'n'Hound. Damn near indestructable, I run my gold cube in a 15 gallon water bowl,
they aren't "Cheap".. But you can't kill 'em even if you leave them out in the sun and run them over daily with a tank. I've got one that is about
12 years old, out in the sun the whole time, been chewed on by many dogs, squished, smashed, blown around the shop yard, and its still holds
water just fine.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll second the livestock tanks. I run a 30 gallon trough for the recirculating FB's, and also use it for panning. Check out Freeland Industries Inc. at Portage, WI.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This guys videos helped me out when I first started, give them a look also.
Good Luck! And welcome to TNet

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread