Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a newb, and may be gullible, but this caught my attention, and my order!

It's a long winded video, so if you want to see the nitty gritty, just jump ahead to about 23:00 and watch it in action.

I panned only one day in the Black Hills, and even though I got skunked, I loved it! I retire in a couple years and do plan to spend much time seeking gold, wherever I might find it. For me it's the journey not the destination, so getting skunked is ok too, but my practical side sees the huge efficiency of this device over a pan, and the compactness and price compared to sluices as well as setup and operation, well, I couldn't pass it up.

Hope you enjoy the video as much as I did!

Upvote 0

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks really cool! I have a Hog pan, but I think I need the flow pan too! I like how it breaks down and only weighs three pounds.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I ordered one, should have it in the new year. I did use restraint and did not bump my order up to 200.00 to save 10%, but it was close. That Multi sluice was calling my name. I think it is a well spent 116.00 shipped.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That thing just seems silly to me.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
My HogPan is awesome and very fast. Time on the stream bed is limited. Yes, you can do it with a plain old pan but these tools provide much faster production at the river while allowing you to do careful final panning at home when you have plenty of time.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I still like this pan..... and it is even faster when you get used to it.
And at 18 bucks.... It's a winner....:hello2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold Hog is a supporting vendor here. Please keep that in mind. :headbang:

oneguy

Aug 26, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
2 Goldmonsters, SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I still like this pan..... and it is even faster when you get used to it.
And at 18 bucks.... It's a winner....:hello2:

I've been eyeballing that pan also..... Went to buy it last night and with shipping it would have been $33......so unfortunately I passed.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
They went up...:dontknow:..... Got mine for 18...8-)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
They are mighty proud of that little thing for $33. There is always someone trying to reinvent the wheel.

Pan itself is 19.95 so shipping must be 13 to get to 33 in total. I would say that most people that actually use one, my self and probably johnedoe included, would say that the price is actually worth it and carolina prospectors is the only place that still sells them on the internet according to my google search. Yep, any pan including the garret super sluice will super concentrate but this one is much quicker with no chance of fine particle gold loss due to the broad deep pocket it forms by it's unusual design. I use mine exclusively to super concentrate my drywasher concentrates (get rid of most of the plain old dirt, dust and clay that muddys up the water) so I can then classify and pan, in a conventional pan, with hardly any cloudy water.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be a great deal more efficient than using a simple classifier because it not only gets rid of the assorted size cobble it also gets rid of the smaller lighter material at the same time leaving only the heavies to finish pan.

For the difference in price though I'll probably just continue to use my $3 diy classifier.
At my age I'm just not in that big of a hurry. :tongue3:

GG~

Last edited:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It seems to be a great deal more efficient than using a simple classifier because it not only gets rid of the assorted size cobble it also gets rid of the smaller lighter material at the same time leaving only the heavies to finish pan.

For the difference in price though I'll probably just continue to use my $3 diy classifier.
At my age I'm just not in that big of a hurry. :tongue3:

GG~

Even if just using a normal pan, if you don't screen the dirt, you'll get the bigger rocks moving to the top when stratifying.
Hence they can be scraped of by hand. When prospecting for other things then gold, I sometimes don't screen, just to look at the rocks.
(which can give a hint at the geology of the area)

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doc sure puts out some good videos as well as great products. I have the stream sluice and looks like I'd better give the Flow Pan a try. I really enjoy hiking and panning along California north coast rivers and creeks. I could process a lot of material with this pan and leave my classifier screen at home. One less bulky item in the backpack.

Mike

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No doubt about it.... Doc has made and continues to make great contributions to prospecting and gold recovery.....

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that when panning for gold, classifying reduces the amount of worthless material in the pan allowing you to get two, three, or more times the amount of worthwhile material into each pan, greatly reducing the the number of times panning shovelfuls by a third or more. (depending on how much cobble is in each shovelful of course)

When in the field with only a pan, shovel, bucket, and classifier I seldom pre-classify when test panning to find a pay streak. Once a streak is discovered however, I go into production mode classifying a bucket full of material at a time to be speed panned down to super concentrate which I take home for final cleanup enabling me to spend more time collecting pay while it's daylight. Of course if the pay warrants I'll come back to the location with recovery equipment best suited for the situation.

I can see where folks will put Doc's product to good use to fit their own situation.
My advice would be to take along an extra wing nut or two just in case. :icon_thumright:

Go for the gold
GG~

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know Doc doesn't think sand will work with this pan, but I know that it should work well.

It's like panning Superior beach sand in light surf. Just keep the pan stratified, and the waves wash the material out at a scary fast pace. Yet all the gold will be sitting in the riffles. I tried this during the summer just to let the curious beachgoers see some gold. In 4 waves all I had left was what was caught in the riffles of my Garrett pan. It went so fast that I thought the gold was washed out, but found 5 specks in the pan. Seeing how Doc washes that pan is almost identical to what the waves were doing, and that pan has much better catch surface than the Garrett. I would recommend that smaller amounts of sand be used just to keep any gold from leaving before it's fully settled, say a gallon at a time or 5 pans per bucket instead of 3. I also like the idea of having the mats, as they could be changed as needed for the material run.

So I'm very happy with this product, and I don't even own one yet!

OP
OP
SteveJJ

SteveJJ

May 18, 2015
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Fisher F75 (for sale)
Fisher Gold Bug 2
White's TDI SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, first use of Flow Pan today near Elk River Minnesota (almost hit 60!). A fellow 'panned' two shovels full and strolled off looking for his pan. I had to "go" so dumped the cons into his bucket he'd classified and left. There was maybe a teaspoon of grit yet in the matt and the margins and gaps in the flow pan. I panned them at home and got 10-12 flecks of tiny gold in that little bit. That the bulk of what the pan caught went into his bucket of cons tells me that this thing really works. I'm now eager to get waders and boots and hit the Zumbro River near Oronoco Minnesota and have at it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions