Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a website that always pops up when I'm doing my research for gold, and their claim is to have these excellent gold maps for sale at a decent rate. I can get Alabama, Georgia, and South Carolina and a bundle for $50 shipped. They say that it has good terrain features, that it displays the flow of the water on every small little creek stream and River, and that their locations are found by doing loads of research. They offer a 100% satisfaction or your money back. I was wondering if any of you have purchased these Maps, and if they are any different from say, minecache, or USGS surveys. It would be nice to purchase, but I feel like all of that information is already on the internet. I could be completely wrong, but I already have minecache and then follow that information up with USGS surveys, along with hearsay along the internet, along with websites like mindat and the diggins and anywhere else. Any info that you guys could enlighten me with would be great.

On a side note, I really been trying to get into Nugget detecting. I live in Georgia, but don't have any issue traveling to Alabama or South Carolina. If anybody could provide any insight as to a good location to nugget detect, I would be very grateful. As well as if anybody would ever like to join up and go prospecting, I would be honored to have the company

Upvote 0

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Try some free sites before you spend your hard earned cash.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already have. I use the usgs maps, mrds, geological maps, minecache, etc. But all of those are digital. It would be nice to have hard copies, especially one that depicts water-flow, past diggings, prospect holes, etc. But at the same time, I don't want to buy something that I already have downloaded on my computer. The issue with the stuff on the computer is you can't see river flow, the locations aren't accurate, you have to save the locations from minecache and then email yourself a KML file and upload into a mobile topo app, and then keep your device charged. Supposedly they have been in business 30+ years. I have done loads of research, and have headed out to go prospecting multiple times, and there's one thing that always gets in my way that no map is going to be able to help me with. Damn PRIVATE PROPERTY. Sure, I have a mobile app that allows me to see who owns the parcel, but that doesn't change the fact that the land is owned.

What I don't understand, is why isn't there any historical mines/prospects IN the Chattahoochee NTL forest. All are south of it down into the valley (dahlonega, Acworth, ball ground, Helen, Cleveland, Gainesville, etc), but all that gold in the valley had to have come from somewhere Right? Wouldn't it be safe to assume that it's coming from up high (like in the mountains). If I could just find some old placer, vein, etc. Workings IN the mountains of the national forest, it would make my prospecting journey so much easier. But this information isn't in any of my methods listed above. Could it be because the gov. Had that information erased from certain resources intentionally? I mean, they had to have had a reason as to why they wanted to declare that whole gold bearing region theirs....right?

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just ribbing ya but I lived there at ft Benning for a few years and I couldn't imagine crawling through that swamp land looking for gold. It was hellish at best to get through at all half the time and I was 19 haha.
Your on the right track with research.
Narrow down some open areas and go prospect. Take plenty of food and make a long day where you can really do some testing.
If you're into club stuff then check that out. You're on the right track tho.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those maps are made using those free sources.

You can print maps to take with you.

Everyone wishes the gold was where they want it vs. where they have to go and get it.

Focus on the areas gold id known to have been found. Mountains are very old where you are. That's why you see more in the valleys it's moved and the mountains have eroded quite a bit.

I don't think finding a source in the N.F. where you are is going to make it easier for you to dig. (you probably can't)

Find a local club or group meet someone who has been working in the area you like make pals, learn things have fun.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What online resources show the ancient tertiary rivers? Thats one I've been looking for but have yet to find. I know these maps show them, and I have been debating on ordering them for that purpose alone.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What online resources show the ancient tertiary rivers? Thats one I've been looking for but have yet to find. I know these maps show them, and I have been debating on ordering them for that purpose alone.

Go to the Land Matters Library and type in tertiary. It's all free until they can't pay the server bills. The rest is up to you. :thumbsup:

Josiah Whitney published the Auriferous Gravels of the Sierra Nevada in 1880. That report has several excellent maps of the known gold bearing gravels that cover the area between the Middle Fork of the American River and the Middle Fork of the Yuba River. Whitney did not attempt to map the channels themselves but did a good job of describing where Tertiary gold was found. Not surprisingly the reports that followed his rely heavily on his excellent work.

Olaf P. Jenkins created the original Tertiary River Channels map in 1932. That was based mostly on Waldemar Lindgren's excellent work in his 1911 Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada of California.

In 1961 Deb K. Chandra published Geology and Mineral Deposits of the Colfax and Foresthill Quadrangles, California. Although limited in area this is a very detailed report and has the best Tertiary mapping available for that area.

The channels mapped on the Jenkins Tertiary River Channels map are the best available for California. The original 1932 Jenkins Map is HUGE and very few were printed. From my research it appears there are four of those maps still in existence. I managed to get access to one of those four copies for four weeks of study back in 2011 from the Steen Mining Library at the New Mexico School of Mines. As a visiting geologist I was allowed to check out the whole report and map. That was a favor from the Librarian and when I returned the map it was taken out of circulation. I doubt you will ever find access to the original map.

It is important to note that the complete true course of the channels is still a mystery. The maps referenced above were created by the greatest geologists to ever study California Tertiary gravels and they all disagree on the actual courses. They are a good starting point with the best information available but there is no final mapping of the locations of those channels.

All these maps and more than 40,000 pages and 116 individual Reports of critical Information for the California minerals researcher in one indexed PDF are available on a 3.7 Gb DVD from Land Matters. Check out the California Treasures DVD.

Or you could buy a gold map.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Land matters is an AWESOME concept.. But there's not much on there for me in Georgia

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land matters is an AWESOME concept.. But there's not much on there for me in Georgia

"Go West young man".:laughing7: No, seriously, utilize what info you have the best you can. Boots on the ground and good luck!

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On private property in the Midwest, go to Sportsman's Connection and get their hunting map books. It's the best way to find public land in WI, MI, and MN. Much of what might be marked on most maps as a state/national forest can actually be private. I find them to be a great help.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the Land Matters Library and type in tertiary. It's all free until they can't pay the server bills. The rest is up to you. :thumbsup:

Josiah Whitney published the Auriferous Gravels of the Sierra Nevada in 1880. That report has several excellent maps of the known gold bearing gravels that cover the area between the Middle Fork of the American River and the Middle Fork of the Yuba River. Whitney did not attempt to map the channels themselves but did a good job of describing where Tertiary gold was found. Not surprisingly the reports that followed his rely heavily on his excellent work.

Olaf P. Jenkins created the original Tertiary River Channels map in 1932. That was based mostly on Waldemar Lindgren's excellent work in his 1911 Tertiary Gravels of the Sierra Nevada of California.

In 1961 Deb K. Chandra published Geology and Mineral Deposits of the Colfax and Foresthill Quadrangles, California. Although limited in area this is a very detailed report and has the best Tertiary mapping available for that area.

The channels mapped on the Jenkins Tertiary River Channels map are the best available for California. The original 1932 Jenkins Map is HUGE and very few were printed. From my research it appears there are four of those maps still in existence. I managed to get access to one of those four copies for four weeks of study back in 2011 from the Steen Mining Library at the New Mexico School of Mines. As a visiting geologist I was allowed to check out the whole report and map. That was a favor from the Librarian and when I returned the map it was taken out of circulation. I doubt you will ever find access to the original map.

It is important to note that the complete true course of the channels is still a mystery. The maps referenced above were created by the greatest geologists to ever study California Tertiary gravels and they all disagree on the actual courses. They are a good starting point with the best information available but there is no final mapping of the locations of those channels.

All these maps and more than 40,000 pages and 116 individual Reports of critical Information for the California minerals researcher in one indexed PDF are available on a 3.7 Gb DVD from Land Matters. Check out the California Treasures DVD.

Or you could buy a gold map.

Heavy Pans

Thanks for the info. I'll have to check those out.

I think i was offered that DVD when I made my donation, but I dont have an optical drive. If I could get it on a usb drive I'd already have it.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You cannot get better info than Clay Diggins will offer. As for the maps.... you cannot "buy success". Everything you need to know is with Clay or others here. Research and the knowledge you will learn is the real gold. Gold? Just icing on the cake.... but such sweet taste! ╦╦Ç

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions