Interesting Concept. Will It Hold Up Under Field Conditions?

Slowtaknow

Oct 27, 2015
Kannapolis nc
Detector(s) used
Fisher f2, Tesoro vaquero, Nokta Simplex, Garrett Csi 250, whites gold master 2.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a field video, but if you mean last a long time it may depending on how rough you are with it.

dash4cash

Apr 9, 2018
Saukville, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the concept, but would worry about fine gold escaping through the little trap door, small rock could possibly keep it from making a tight seal.

Carl

OP
OP
P

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
That was my concern. Any type of door or gate mechanism in the field is often limited by pieces of sand and dirt getting into the works. The YouTube’er in question also came up with the “Focus Pan” but it has yet to be manufactured into a practical field tool for prospectors and miners.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Slide gates are notorious for sticking or jamming. That said it is doubtful that even fine gold will escape, even if the gate was only partially closed, since it should be at the very bottom of the far end of the trap and since trapped material locks up as agitation stops or it is drained (the trap is not water tight) the gold will still be in it IMO.

Last edited:

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Instead of trying to build a better mouse trap, why not just put better pay dirt in a conventional gold pan. Fancy gimickey pans don't magically make gold from barren dirt.

AllenJ

Mar 7, 2018
Northern CA
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I applaud his efforts to make a better mouse trap but adding moving parts to something that is going to be used in the conditions that prospecting/panning are done in does not seem the right direction to me.

OP
OP
P

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
That was the point of my post. If you looks at GoldHog’s Hog Pan and the new Flow Pan, they are substantially built with nothing to get clogged or hung up in use. I think the guy who made the video has a good concept but needs to keep it as simple as possible.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like the gold claw....not an improvement

chlsbrns

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2013
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
The concept is good but I don't see a need for a door. I've posted pics of the finishing pans that we use. It's basically a finishing pan with a grove cut into it with a dremel. The fines settle into the grove.

I don't see even the slightest resemblance to a gold claw.

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK 1st thought is it's another square gold pan with riffles, but deeper.
I think a much deeper round pan with riffles could do the same...... I don't want to mention what Doc's Flow pan does.

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried many myself. None have worked as well as a standard Garrett pan. Not saying it cant be done but its not going to be easy to improve a gold pan from what it already is today.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I kinda like this one... Great production pan.... And fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread