Interesting fine gold cleanup method

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. So, I gave this a try. Wasn't terrible, but the best result that I could achieve was to reduce concentrate volume by a little more than half. Seems like I hit an inflection point where there was a tradeoff between removing more black sands or losing some fine gold. The lightest/most fine black sand material washed out very nicely but I ran into the aforementioned problem once I needed to adjust water flow to start removing coarser material. ...Perhaps, I just needed to spend time tweaking things to get desired results.

Might give it another shot at some point in the near future. I don't have a blue bowl or other such equipment, so would be nice if I could use this much less expensive approach.:occasion14:

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok. So, I gave this a try. Wasn't terrible, but the best result that I could achieve was to reduce concentrate volume by a little more than half. Seems like I hit an inflection point where there was a tradeoff between removing more black sands or losing some fine gold. The lightest/most fine black sand material washed out very nicely but I ran into the aforementioned problem once I needed to adjust water flow to start removing coarser material. ...Perhaps, I just needed to spend time tweaking things to get desired results.

Might give it another shot at some point in the near future. I don't have a blue bowl or other such equipment, so would be nice if I could use this much less expensive approach.:occasion14:

You will probably get better results with closer classification eg. minus 30 plus 50, minus 50 plus 100 and minus 100 mesh. Over 30 mesh is usually easy to pan. The gold is greatly advantaged when it is processed with only like sized material since it is about three times the weight of the other individual particles. Here is one source for them.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pio...i60j69i61j0.5991j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8. Also google rio grande supply for even smaller mesh screens.

Good luck.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I bet his wife and his plumber love him.....:laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Kind of the same principle of the blue bowl combined with a little different take on KevinInColorado's method of gold separation with a soap dish....your inspiration Kevin?:dontknow:

His first part is like the dynamics of a blue bowl and the last IS like what I do!

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did not work as well for me, don't know if I did something wrong. My black sand is primarily magnetite was that the same as in your video ?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Come on AZAU! Your making Arizona look bad! HAHAHAHAHA ANYBODY can learn to pan their own concentrates, and get rid of ALL BLACK SAND! Its not rocket science. LOL

You should be able to take this:
20190416_154333.jpg

Down to this:
20190414_141039.jpg

Then wind up with this:
20180804_162427_001.jpg

I don't own a blue bowl or miller table. I was just taught by a 71 year old guy that has been panning since Jesus was a teenager. LOL

Mike

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those look like nuggets compared to what I usually find.....care to share your spot?:laughing7:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like nuggets compared to what I usually find.....care to share your spot?:laughing7:

SOMEWHERE in the Mayer, Humboldt, Dewey, Prescott Valley, Prescott Area! LOL I live in Dewey. We still have running water in several gold bearing creeks up here.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread