Possible solution?

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those who use magnets to remove black sands before panning know that often the black sands jump and clump on the magnet and trap some gold with them. I just ran across the following on an old post in another forum and it seems to be a viable solution to prevent or at least lessen gold "trapping". Here is the quote: "remove them thru a classifier with a magnet".

Have I tried it? Nope, I haven't nor do I use magnets at all.

Edit: I just found a video of his procedure.

Heavy pans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Unless you are an old geezer who has nothing, let me repeat that, nothing better to do, why would you bother with all that when a pan and a snuffer bottle is all you need? :dontknow::laughing7:

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i use a magnet (under) a gold pan to move the black sand out of the way.but iam lazy.
brad

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just pan the mix with the magnetite in, and then separate, and pan again. Lake Superior magnetite is loadstone grade, and once magnetized, it stays magnetized. Also, once magnetized, it becomes less dense and will float on blond sand. If you have floating magnetite, any gold that it grabs will go out with the blond sand. Keep magnets away until it's been panned first!

Floating magnetite.
IMG_3116.JPG

Removed magnetite.
IMG_3117.JPG

Here's what the magnetite will push out of the pan on the first go around. That was about 1/3 of the gold in the bucket.
IMG_3119.JPG

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cool demo Nemo!

Here in CO I’ve had great success just classifying then pulling the mag sand up thru a couple inches of water while swirling the magnet.

I recently gave about 30 pounds of this mag sand to an old, skilled miner with lots of fancy gear. He found zero gold left behind!

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I've only hit 1 or 2 of pieces in the removed magnetite when panning out the dregs from cleaning. So it doesn't grab all that much, but it will push some of the gold out when you first pan.

Now, for Nugget Lake material, I can remove the magnetite from the cons right away, as most of the gold is surrounded by zircon sand. So removal timing really depends on the material you're working.

mendoAu

Apr 23, 2014
SW Oregon
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sometimes I'll dry the final pannings and stick a magnet under a metal pan. Tapping it back and forth usually produces No trapped gold and you have a nice pile of black sand in the middle.
....I'll also add a link to the magnet I use. These are super cool and STRONG. Also when you are done with the metal pan technique just brush the gold out of the pan and then flip the pan over, release the "knob" on the magnet and out drops your black sand.
https://www.google.com/search?clien...0i131k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i10k1.397.xXdrVvXKWYU

Last edited:

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I just drop a bead of Hg in the pan dont even worry about it
Save it up till i gets a golf ball sized ball of amalgam.

Gt.....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just drop a bead of Hg in the pan dont even worry about it
Save it up till i gets a golf ball sized ball of amalgam.

Gt.....

I’ve resorted to that sometimes too, especially when trying to pan electrum. The risk is that mercury won’t grab dirty gold.

gold tramp

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve resorted to that sometimes too, especially when trying to pan electrum. The risk is that mercury won’t grab dirty gold.

Whats dirty gold? What risk if your pannin it will all stay in the pan gold n Hg.

Gt....

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a large orange Keene magnet all of the time on the trommel cons, but I don't really see the purpose of classifying the magnetite thru a screen. I'm dealing with maybe 1gallon of magnetite out of a 5 gallon bucket of cons. I pan, pull the magnetite, drop them in a second bucket and continue. Most of the gold stays in the pan but the magnetite always holds on to some. Then after removing the bulk of the gold, I put all of the black sands thru a crusher, powderize, and get the rest of the gold out all at once.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whats dirty gold? What risk if your pannin it will all stay in the pan gold n Hg.

Gt....

Gold with a slime of clay on it or iron oxides or other mineral coatings.

Mitch Dickson

Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you tumble your black sand with a tablespoon of lye it will clean the slime and film off the gold. Then it will amalgamate easily. Don't hurt to charge that mercury either ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread