Terrabend gold panning machine

Oldrustystuff

Jul 26, 2018
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
Home made sluice running a 10" Dream Mat, Gold Cube, Blue Bowl.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting design. However it seems a little disingenuous to imply that all of that gold was just in a few shovels of dirt.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting design. However it seems a little disingenuous to imply that all of that gold was just in a few shovels of dirt.

Maybe you need to dig in better spots.. ;)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The price is ridiculous. Considering it isn't really that much of an improvement.

It may be "faster" than a pan. But, it won't out produce a stream sluice if your in a spot you can run one.

A bigger version as a mini- plant would be cool . I want to know what creates the oscillation I don't see how that is driven by the motor.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pretty spendy. A person could buy 3 of my Sweep Jigs for the price of that, and no classifying needed. Not to mention the SJ is much lighter and more portable. It does look like it works well enough...at least on larger gold.
Jim

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty spendy. A person could buy 3 of my Sweep Jigs for the price of that, and no classifying needed. Not to mention the SJ is much lighter and more portable. It does look like it works well enough...at least on larger gold.
Jim
What is the sweep jig you have Jim?

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
To be honest with you, I would not be spending large amounts of money on motorized equipment to be used on the stream beds unless you are assured that you can continue to make use of it. Here in Maine, where prospectlng was largely unregulated, thanks to the efforts of Trout Unlimited, all use of motorized equipment has been banned on most of the better gold bearing streams in Maine. Kalifornia thought it couldn't happen there and we thought it couldn't here on the oppostite end of the country, but it did. Yes, you can still used motorized at home if you want to go to the trouble of digging raw paydirt and bringing it home. It will be just a matter of time before they ban that practice, too.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To be honest with you, I would not be spending large amounts of money on motorized equipment to be used on the stream beds unless you are assured that you can continue to make use of it. Here in Maine, where prospectlng was largely unregulated, thanks to the efforts of Trout Unlimited, all use of motorized equipment has been banned on most of the better gold bearing streams in Maine. Kalifornia thought it couldn't happen there and we thought it couldn't here on the oppostite end of the country, but it did. Yes, you can still used motorized at home if you want to go to the trouble of digging raw paydirt and bringing it home. It will be just a matter of time before they ban that practice, too.
One reason I designed my unit to work either wet, or dry is to get around that problem. There are usually dry gravel bars that can be worked without bothering the stream it self. Or bench deposits well above the present stream course.
Jim

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
The problem in Maine is that the law applies to any area adjacent to a stream "below the normal high water mark." You could theoretically work ancient benches well beyond the present stream banks but would still be prohibited from using the water from the stream to work those benches even though your actual work was beyond the normal high water mark. You see, it is not simply an Anti-Dredging law but is totally anti-motorized including motorized pumps and winches. Your Sweep Jig would be fine if hand-powered. With an electric or gas operation, it would be prohibited.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I think I will stick with this pan......

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The problem in Maine is that the law applies to any area adjacent to a stream "below the normal high water mark." You could theoretically work ancient benches well beyond the present stream banks but would still be prohibited from using the water from the stream to work those benches even though your actual work was beyond the normal high water mark. You see, it is not simply an Anti-Dredging law but is totally anti-motorized including motorized pumps and winches. Your Sweep Jig would be fine if hand-powered. With an electric or gas operation, it would be prohibited.

Don't need to use water. Setup above the high water mark, assuming you can find old gravel deposits, and go to work.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A hand crank Sweep Jig sounds like a really good idea Jim :)

Reed, you're right!...LOL I looked into that several months ago, but the gearset required to convert horizontal motion to vertical rotation cost as much as the gearmotor used in the powered version. The hand-cranked unit would cost about 25% MORE than the powered unit. (Added labor and materials). I figured there just wasn't enough market to justify it. Hoping you and Karen are doing well over there at the Blue Bucket.
Jim

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed, you're right!...LOL I looked into that several months ago, but the gearset required to convert horizontal motion to vertical rotation cost as much as the gearmotor used in the powered version. The hand-cranked unit would cost about 25% MORE than the powered unit. (Added labor and materials). I figured there just wasn't enough market to justify it. Hoping you and Karen are doing well over there at the Blue Bucket.
Jim

Can't you just put the crank on top like an icecream maker? You would have to stop cranking to shovel anyho. Maybe stick it on a socket so you can remove the crank and handle for cleanup.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Can't you just put the crank on top like an icecream maker? You would have to stop cranking to shovel anyho. Maybe stick it on a socket so you can remove the crank and handle for cleanup.

Aaahh...it would be awkward. have to have a hole in the diaphragm to allow for the crank. Also, the funnel mount would get in the way. Just messy.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, I guess we'll see how many requests I get for a manual model. I'll worry about it then. I can build ANYTHING....it's all about the time and money.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread