Best gold pan? - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Best gold pan?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Wolf Pack!

Jan 2014
    Brookings-Harbor Oregon
    Bounty hunter gold digger Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats Keene A52P Blue Bowl Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
    12008 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by johnedoe View Post
    I've always liked this pan.... great for production.... It could be a little bit more ridged but it works great.

Is that pan mainly for super fine gold? Would it work for fast production like my 15" super sluice?

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of your life.

A student said to his master, "You teach me fighting, but you talk about peace. How do you reconcile the two?"
    The master replied, "It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than to be a gardener in a war."

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    2199 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregon Viking View Post
    Is that pan mainly for super fine gold? Would it work for fast production like my 15" super sluice?
    It's a great production pan.... Not so great for cleanup. But thats why I have smaller cleanup pans..... Right tool for the right job.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

us
    Aug 2015
    Montana
    Goldmonster, SDC 2300, etrac
    945 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by johnedoe View Post
    It's a great production pan.... Not so great for cleanup. But thats why I have smaller cleanup pans..... Right tool for the right job.
    I've always wanted the Easy pan but no longer use a pan much (detect now) but it would have cost me $33 to get one shipped from Carolina so I passed. I still love my Super Sluice and will always keep it around....

Charter Member
    us
    I can dig it! "WP"

Mar 2007
    Arizona
    Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Suction Dredges, Hand Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4 Shaker table etc. etc.
    4706 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnpgoat View Post
    Hello everyone. I am looking to try my hand at gold panning this year and I’m wondering what your opinions are on pans. Any brand or particular type of pan that works best?
    Garrett 14" gravity trap pan.
    In my opinion, best all around pan you can get, bar none.
    If I could only have one pan, that would be it.

The drop bottom makes the really fine gold just that much easier to capture securely, especially when using the smooth side to eliminate excess black sand.

While learning an amazing new tecnique for dry panning I found that after trying out that same tecnique wet (keep adding water from a bottle as you go) it could greatly increase a beginners speed and confidence getting down to the gold. It's like learning to pan with training wheels..........
    Starts about 8:45 into the video using a Garrett super sluice pan and 5 gal bucket, will also work with the Garrett 14" gravity trap pan

GG~
    Last edited by Goodyguy; Feb 05, 2020 at 04:33 PM.

us
    Apr 2014
    SW Oregon
    604 times
    Prospecting
    My internet is so friggin' slow lately that I pass on video's but just looking at the pan above....notice how scuffed up it is. Well thats the trick to any pan. A nice new shiny pan is worthless no matter who makes it. Two ways to get your pan up to it's potential.....use it for years and years or sandpaper and spit. If it shows the very least bit of water beading up then it needs a work over. Let the dog play with it, bury it, eat kibble out of it and then loan it to the neighbors dog to do likewise. I'd rather use a hubcap off a '65 volkswagon than a brand new shiny pan.

us
    Feb 2010
    California
    Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Lobo, Minelab GPX 4500.
    206 times
    Proline....black or green.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10886 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Relichunter1 View Post
    Proline....black or green.
    Agreed! As my eyes have aged Iíve switched from the green to the black.

Avoid the similar looking Estwng pan. Itís made of a more brittle plastic, and so, is prone to cracking.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, XGIH, GDR, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner/operator.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    997 times
    Prospecting
    My 17" proline pro pan folds up like a taco full of dirt not super impressed with it, its a bummer I like big pans. Got a 17" black keene pan that looks like a china pan but is made by keene, haven't tried running it yet.

us
    Aug 2010
    Maine USA
    348 times
    Quote Originally Posted by N-Lionberger View Post
    My 17" proline pro pan folds up like a taco full of dirt not super impressed with it, its a bummer I like big pans. Got a 17" black keene pan that looks like a china pan but is made by keene, haven't tried running it yet.
    Best large traditional style plastic gold pan is the Super Sluice by Garrett...tough and rigid...have several and not broken one yet.
    Johnnybravo300 likes this.

us
    Gold Tramp

Dec 2012
    2018 times
    Hey Jason (pocketman)
    Stop by if your down here dinner invite.

Herb...
    Last edited by gold tramp; Feb 11, 2020 at 07:08 PM.

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    799 times
    For hard rock quartz gold vein sampling use a metal pan.
    N-Lionberger likes this.

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10886 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by placertogo View Post
    Best large traditional style plastic gold pan is the Super Sluice by Garrett...tough and rigid...have several and not broken one yet.
    I like that pan too. Nice strength and a wide bottom. Just wish I could get a black one.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, XGIH, GDR, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner/operator.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    997 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by dave wiseman View Post
    For hard rock quartz gold vein sampling use a metal pan.
    Whats the reasoning?

us
    Jul 2004
    Angels Camp,Ca.
    799 times
    The reasoning is that after you have your quartz rocks,dirt,clay in the pan and are rubbing the stuff round and round the contents will scratch a plastic/rubberized pan which at some point will trap very fine gold.Before you do the round and round rubbing you should scrub all the quartz rocks with a plastic brush as to reveal any species and remove colors from the quartz.Any colors out of a quartz vein are worth further sampling.
    N-Lionberger likes this.

Nov 2019
    1 times
    For me, minelab kits and pans are best !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links