Best gold pan?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best large traditional style plastic gold pan is the Super Sluice by Garrett...tough and rigid...have several and not broken one yet.

I like that pan too. Nice strength and a wide bottom. Just wish I could get a black one.

dave wiseman

Jul 23, 2004
Angels Camp,Ca.
The reasoning is that after you have your quartz rocks,dirt,clay in the pan and are rubbing the stuff round and round the contents will scratch a plastic/rubberized pan which at some point will trap very fine gold.Before you do the round and round rubbing you should scrub all the quartz rocks with a plastic brush as to reveal any species and remove colors from the quartz.Any colors out of a quartz vein are worth further sampling.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the dimensions of the Minelab pan but I find it a little flimsy, I was hoping it was from Oz but no luck it had made in china stamped on it.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the dimensions of the Minelab pan but I find it a little flimsy, I was hoping it was from Oz but no luck it had made in china stamped on it.

100% agreed. The Proline Professional pan is the same shape but thicker plastic so it’s more rigid. As a result, that’s my everyday field pan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread