Best gold pan?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Best gold pan?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2013
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT Pro
    1 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Best gold pan?

Hello everyone. I am looking to try my hand at gold panning this year and Iím wondering what your opinions are on pans. Any brand or particular type of pan that works best?
    Goodyguy likes this.

RTR
    us
    Roger. USAF Vietnam war Combat Vet

Nov 2017
    Smith Mt. Lake Va.
    Teknetics Liberator Falcon MD-20 *********** Blue Bowl Angus MacKirk sluice Miller Table
    15461 times
    Here ya go ...3 pages of opinions (3 weeks old) Gold Pan

us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    6723 times
    Prospecting
    Look for the Garrett Gold Panning kit. Several of the sites supporting
    vendors sell them.

Good pans, good price and comes with a 1/2 classifier.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

Dec 2013
    Wisconsin
    Garrett AT Pro
    1 times
    Thanks!

ca
    Dec 2017
    Gap of Canada
    18 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DizzyDigger View Post
    Look for the Garrett Gold Panning kit. Several of the sites supporting
    vendors sell them.

Good pans, good price and comes with a 1/2 classifier.
    When I was starting out I purchased the cheaper/smaller Garrett kit and like what happens to most during the first year ended up buying a bunch of different tools and other pans. The smaller kit does NOT include the Super Sluice and in hindsight after all the purchases and panning I would have just went with the more expensive Garrett kit that does include it and stopped buying after that. Now a days I usually only take the SS when going out to sample or pan since it seems to have the right balance between durability and usability in addition to going through the most material (for me anyways)

Just wanted to share since I wish I would have just bought the larger kit and been done.........

us
    Mine President, XPBC, XGIH, GDR, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner/operator.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1022 times
    Prospecting
    I am a fan of the super sluice pan as well, never really understood what a sluice had to do with it but it is a nice size sturdy pan with steeper walls, a couple huge cheater riffles and a nice wide bottom. I'm also a fan of steel pans.
    Last edited by N-Lionberger; Feb 19, 2019 at 10:47 PM.
    Oregon Viking likes this.

May 2013
    444 times
    I think the super sluice part of just a gimmick. It is a good pan. Easy to use. You can also dry pan with it, I have a couple of times, and was suprised with the results. Stay away from pans that are you flexible. I also like a wide bottomed pan.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12754 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonofsteel View Post
    When I was starting out I purchased the cheaper/smaller Garrett kit and like what happens to most during the first year ended up buying a bunch of different tools and other pans. The smaller kit does NOT include the Super Sluice and in hindsight after all the purchases and panning I would have just went with the more expensive Garrett kit that does include it and stopped buying after that. Now a days I usually only take the SS when going out to sample or pan since it seems to have the right balance between durability and usability in addition to going through the most material (for me anyways)

Just wanted to share since I wish I would have just bought the larger kit and been done.........

x3 for super sluice

all of Garrets stuff is STOUT

I chucked a 15# rock up the bank once... came rolling back ..two foot open air drop..
    CRACK right on my super sluice.
    Thought she was toast for sure.

Weird white line. Took a year to form a real crack. Still my main pan.
    Last edited by Goldwasher; Feb 21, 2019 at 04:56 PM.
    N-Lionberger likes this.

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    4735 times
    The best gold pan is a free one ,If you'll learn to use it patiently!

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    398 times
    Prospecting
    I have four or five Super Sluices and they are great, but I have recently found myself using the 15" Minelab pan almost excusively. It's a bit of a hybrid of the Super Sluice and Proline, both of which I really like.

The Minelab is also BLUE. If Garrett ever makes the Super Sluice in blue, I will probably buy another half dozen of them. Gold pops so much better against blue...at least to my eyes.
    N-Lionberger and gagoldhunter like this.

us
    May 2009
    Sailor Flat, Ca.
    SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, ACME handbook for TRUE prospectors (unread)
    12754 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamfist View Post
    I have four or five Super Sluices and they are great, but I have recently found myself using the 15" Minelab pan almost excusively. It's a bit of a hybrid of the Super Sluice and Proline, both of which I really like.

The Minelab is also BLUE. If Garrett ever makes the Super Sluice in blue, I will probably buy another half dozen of them. Gold pops so much better against blue...at least to my eyes.
    I still haven't seen a minelab pan in person.

No one around here sells them

I also like the proline pan

us
    Mine President, XPBC, XGIH, GDR, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner/operator.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Dowsing rods
    1022 times
    Prospecting
    I have one of the 15" minelab pans, I won it in the raffle at an EBP meeting. As far as I can tell it has the same dimensions as the super sluice, same wall angle large bottom but it has finer cheater riffles. I like operating it but it has alot more flex and its made in China so...
    Hamfist likes this.

us
    Mar 2018
    Northern CA
    White's TDI SL, Minelab GPX5000 & GM1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
    213 times
    Prospecting
    The 10" Minelabs pan is my go to prospecting pan. Fits nicely into the daypack, steep walls and good riffles. It is also easy to handle a 10" pan when you have to be in awkward positions panning. I like the Super Sluice for when I know I'm going to be doing buckets of material but it does not fit nearly as well into the daypack as the 10". I got a couple of Prolines for Christmas and look forward to trying them this spring.

us
    Aug 2014
    SoCal
    SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
    398 times
    Prospecting
    I never would have purchased the Minelab unless I saw it in person at GPAA show. Figured I’d give it a try. It’s not as sturdy as the Super Sluice but much sturdier than the Proline. I use it for panning cons after the Gold Cube does its thing so it never really goes out into the field. Out there, it’s a SS for sure.

Sucks that it’s made in China and costs more than the Garrett :/

us
    Apr 2015
    Oshkosh, WI
    1563 times
    You can use the riffles in the Garrett pans as a sluice, just keep the material stratified so that the heavies can sink and the lights can slowly dribble out of the pan. As long as the riffles can keep exchanging, the gold will drop into the riffles. Stopping the stratification and then washing the material out, just flatboards the sluice. Just think of the pan as a 3-4 riffle sluice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links