Gold pan evolution - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Gold pan evolution

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2014
    188 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I love the garrett pans. I have to agree with the OP when I seen the new garrett pans I thought why. I guess if I ever need another pan I would try one but would rather not.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    2988 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    Sounds very painful ! At that speed even if its true that pan would be way too heavy for me.
    Heavy, maybe not but still backbreaking. The only saving grace for the extra weight is that the pan is worked while being held under water. Archimedes principle comes into play and the weight of the pan and it's contents reduces by the equivalent weight of the water displaced when submerged. Water weighs a little more than eight pounds per gallon. A gallon of regular beach sand weighs somewhere around thirteen pounds per gallon but when suspended under water in a gold pan it would weigh about five pounds....Just a little science lesson for ya'll.
    slink and roconnor like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    May 2011
    12 times
    For me also. I have a hard enough time picking up 5 gal buckets at my age (81). The standard Gold Claw is about right for the output of my puffer and drop trap. So I have not reason to buy the bigger one.

us
    Dave

Oct 2018
    Coffeyville, KS
    Minelab XTerra 705 Fisher F44 Bounty Hunter Time Ranger
    48 times
    Relic Hunting
    My first gold pan was the top part of a Boy Scout mess kit. Only about 8" in diameter, and the sides sloped up at a much sharper angle...but it worked great!
    "A pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to put in his mouth." - e. e. cummings

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Bazooka Goldtrap sluices, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    10610 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveVanP View Post
    My first gold pan was the top part of a Boy Scout mess kit. Only about 8" in diameter, and the sides sloped up at a much sharper angle...but it worked great!
    ...and it didn’t cost 40 bucks (for a piece of plastic!) like a Goldclaw!

us
    May 2011
    12 times
    I think I saw in the Add he does 1/2 bucket at a time - still all 5 gal in 45 sec or so. Most of my pans take about 30 to 40 sec - 1/4 of a bucket per pan. The bigger size pan would make the difference.

us
    Mine President, XPBC, GIH, stamp mill operator, snuffer bottle owner.

Dec 2013
    Arcata, California
    Fisher 1212-x Fisher Gold Bug 2 Whites 4900/SP3 Rocker boxes, Keene sluices, Bazooka sluice, 2.5", 4" lowbankers, highbankers. Witch Sticks.
    789 times
    Prospecting
    In all their demonstrations they use very light sands and gravels with little black sand, it's not an accurate demonstration of the pan under real world conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links