Goldhog FlowPan

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn’t expect much as this is my first time using it and I was at home. Followed capt nemo’s directions on how much sand to put in the pan and stratify. Picked up 2 tiny gold specks. I was impressed as I wasn’t sure if I stratified long enough or if I let too much sand go out. So far 19561ECB-9FAA-4B3B-B510-B738C8D336B1.jpeg so good. Can anyone please tell me what mesh size the gold specks are. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea. Considering it takes a lot of effort to bucket classify, I think that effort is better spent running unclassified since that is what it is designed to do....from Goldhog site "1000s and 1000s of miners and prospectors around the world LOVE their FlowPans. It’s being called the world’s fastest, because there is no longer a need to classify. Simply dump in RAW, unclassified pay, work, flush, and you’re done. a full pan of dirt takes about 15 — 30 seconds. A 5 gallon bucket can be worked in about 5-10 minutes."

Good luck

Would large rocks over 1 inch push some of the gold out while stratifying? Maybe better to classify.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the gravel is stream classified, go for it. The stuff I'm digging can range from sand up to 8", and then there's the clay filled vuggy sandstone that needs a good cleaning. That's why I classify to 1/2" before Flow Panning.

Im going to classify material the next time I’m out and compare.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would large rocks over 1 inch push some of the gold out while stratifying? Maybe better to classify.

I haven't watched this video for a while but it should give you some assurance to not worry about it. I do remember Doc stating somewhere that he does not recommend running pure sand but if you do then only run in small quantities. That is because it is difficult to keep a large quantity of sand feed liquified so that spaces open up to let gold settle through them. That is about the only thing you have to worry about other than dirt and clay clods that do not disintegrate. The only reason I would classify, other than tossing out bigger rocks, is if I had to bucket the feed very far to a water source...I trust Doc and his testing.
Heavy pans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saw the video. The manual said not to use too much force to throw large rocks out you can loose some fine gold. Use less force and take rocks out by hand. I may have lost some gold as some rocks were being tossed out through the sides.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah. The rocks weren't pushing gold out though but you may have been sloshing some out unknowingly. The purpose for less force is allow stuff to settle so you can hand pick the bigger rocks and then work on reducing the load down to concentrates.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. The rocks weren't pushing gold out though but you may have been sloshing some out unknowingly. The purpose for less force is allow stuff to settle so you can hand pick the bigger rocks and then work on reducing the load down to concentrates.

So I may or may not have lost some flake gold. I did not check the tailings. I am panning mostly sand and rocks keep sand piled up at the end of the mat so gold may not be settling. I have to take rocks out by hand and stratify again to blow a little of the sand out. Still learning what works best for me. At least I’m finding some gold.:occasion14:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried going through some of my tailings, and it took 3 pans before I found a speck. I don't know where it came from. May have tramped on my wetsuit, or was bucket spill, or maybe a genuine loss. But I have panned 3-400# with it, so if I'm loosing, it ain't very much.

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday I flowpanned 5 buckets of unclassified material I picked out and washed the large rocks in the pan before I stratified. Results were not as good as the last time but happy to see color I’m still a rookie in this hobby.

Attachments

• 889FFECD-7A42-48AF-B8CE-213CE9840BF3.jpeg
    889FFECD-7A42-48AF-B8CE-213CE9840BF3.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 94
  • BE2A7778-B1FE-4B6D-B297-34636D38BF1B.jpeg
    BE2A7778-B1FE-4B6D-B297-34636D38BF1B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 101
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Monday panned 2 buckets. Found mostly in the last half bucket.

Attachments

• 3D9D55AD-4ECE-4632-8BD3-4191336983B5.jpeg
    3D9D55AD-4ECE-4632-8BD3-4191336983B5.jpeg
    297.2 KB · Views: 93

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got the Pyramid Pro pan and and generally been happy with it (for what little wet placer I do any more). Still this new "Flow Pan" has really got my attention. Has anyone used both?............. Comments?
Thanks!

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got the Pyramid Pro pan and and generally been happy with it (for what little wet placer I do any more). Still this new "Flow Pan" has really got my attention. Has anyone used both?............. Comments?
Thanks!

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven’t used the pyramid pro pan but it works the same as the flowpan. I like the flowpan pans material in seconds and breaks down. Which is better depends on user.
Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4B44772C-3A99-4AD7-A7D8-E490812BCF71.jpeg Well it’s been almost 2 months using the flowpan and got pretty good with it but its a lot of nonstop work if your panning 5 buckets of unclassified sand for a little gold. You cannot load it up with sand like you could with dirt. Takes me more than 5-10 minutes to do a bucket of unclassified sand. ( seems like 25 minutes) I do not like to burn myself out by working like a robot or play race against the clock. I did get a good workout using the flowpan and no sore back.

Panned 3 buckets of unclassified sand from the highbank on Tuesday found some gold but not much just enough to put a smile on my face.

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
nice haul so far Denny, ive been contemplating getting a flow pan and you are getting some nice fines, so it definitely works

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks NJ
I enjoy using the flowpan catches the fine gold. Great for remote sites and testing material.
nice haul so far Denny, ive been contemplating getting a flow pan and you are getting some nice fines, so it definitely works

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread