Goldhog FlowPan

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn’t expect much as this is my first time using it and I was at home. Followed capt nemo’s directions on how much sand to put in the pan and stratify. Picked up 2 tiny gold specks. I was impressed as I wasn’t sure if I stratified long enough or if I let too much sand go out. So far 19561ECB-9FAA-4B3B-B510-B738C8D336B1.jpeg so good. Can anyone please tell me what mesh size the gold specks are. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info I’ll be sure to check it out.

Did a few more pans with the FlowPan and a few flakes in each. FlowPan does save time compared to just panning.

You probably already know this but, now that you have confidence that the flow pan works....you will save more time on the stream, which equates to run more material, if you collect the concentrates produced from many flow pan loads to batch pan for gold recovery later. Just in case, test pan every once in a while to make sure you are still on the gold but don't waste your time individually panning each flow pan clean out.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go smaller at -100#. When on fine gold, I usually do a quicky rinse out if I see lots of black sand at the tail. I carry a wash tray big enough to fit the pan and a squirt bottle to rinse it down without disassembly. I still do a full cleanout every bucket though. I rather keep the heavies than try to clean them all the way down in the field.

Sand is going to be slower than what Doc was showing in his vid, but the Flow Pan can still run it, and do a good job.

And for those sitting on the fence, this is a product worth the money!

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd go smaller at -100#. When on fine gold, I usually do a quicky rinse out if I see lots of black sand at the tail. I carry a wash tray big enough to fit the pan and a squirt bottle to rinse it down without disassembly. I still do a full cleanout every bucket though. I rather keep the heavies than try to clean them all the way down in the field.

Sand is going to be slower than what Doc was showing in his vid, but the Flow Pan can still run it, and do a good job.

And for those sitting on the fence, this is a product worth the money!

Thanks for the tip Capt Nemo.

The dirt I’m panning is all sand and gravel classified to 1/8. I would like to get into the river but I may have to wait until after snow melts.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the tip Capt Nemo.

The dirt I’m panning is all sand and gravel classified to 1/8. I would like to get into the river but I may have to wait until after snow melts.

Are you saying that you are pre-classifying your feed to 1/8" before using the flow pan or are you screening the flow pan concentrates? The main purpose of the flow pan is to classify and concentrate mixed size bank run material (mixture of fairly large rocks down to speck sized) down to about that size quickly without pre-screening which is extremely time consuming for 1/8". As to gold recovery panning minus 1/8" concentrates and chasing gold in the range of 100 mesh; you might be well served to save your black sand tails for re-panning in the future especially if you get some smaller mesh sieves. Gold, particularly smaller mesh sized gold, is often inadvertently lost when panned in a batch of mixed sizes that range from 1/8" and down.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mistake I meant to say classified to 1/4th not 1/8th.

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When using the FlowPan there’s a lot of sand that accumulates at the last section and under the mat is this normal or am I not stratifiing enough? How can I do multiple pans with this happening. Sand and gold will just blow out at the end because of accumulation.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
When using the FlowPan there’s a lot of sand that accumulates at the last section and under the mat is this normal or am I not stratifiing enough? How can I do multiple pans with this happening. Sand and gold will just blow out at the end because of accumulation.

Keep it under water and moving. Any gold will migrate under that sand just like in a regular gold pan. As long as you have a fluidized slurry, you will not lose gold. Only when material is packed is when gold will not be retained.

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks placertogo

I will keep using the flowpan eventually I will figure it out.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doc doesn't want you completely washing the mat down, so some sand still left at the tail is OK. The second and third set of the talon mat get washed pretty hard in use, but keep some sand in the rest of the mat.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Doc doesn't want you completely washing the mat down, so some sand still left at the tail is OK. The second and third set of the talon mat get washed pretty hard in use, but keep some sand in the rest of the mat.

Save time and work. Don't completely wash everything out until the end of the day. You will not lose anything.

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured out why I was having lots of sand at the tail, I had too much sand in the mixing tub sand was coming in from the sides. Scooped out all the sand and the flowpan is now working as it should.

I did a quick 1 gal. of sand pan this morning. Plucked out 3 colors.

Attachments

• 89C9DB67-AC21-44E0-8026-DB4D2DB854AD.jpeg
    89C9DB67-AC21-44E0-8026-DB4D2DB854AD.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30C0C7CE-9275-40E7-98DF-8A7A52B1B96B.jpeg Went to the river today and classified a 5gal. bucket gravel sand to 1/4. I panned the sand with the flowpan in the river and brought back the concentrate to pan at home. Was surprised to see over 30 colors at the bottom of the pan. Flowpan works well on the tiny gold. Next time at the river I’ll try unclassified material and see how that goes.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
View attachment 1710079 Went to the river today and classified a 5gal. bucket gravel sand to 1/4. I panned the sand with the flowpan in the river and brought back the concentrate to pan at home. Was surprised to see over 30 colors at the bottom of the pan. Flowpan works well on the tiny gold. Next time at the river I’ll try unclassified material and see how that goes.

Good idea. Considering it takes a lot of effort to bucket classify, I think that effort is better spent running unclassified since that is what it is designed to do....from Goldhog site "1000s and 1000s of miners and prospectors around the world LOVE their FlowPans. It’s being called the world’s fastest, because there is no longer a need to classify. Simply dump in RAW, unclassified pay, work, flush, and you’re done. a full pan of dirt takes about 15 — 30 seconds. A 5 gallon bucket can be worked in about 5-10 minutes."

Good luck

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the gravel is stream classified, go for it. The stuff I'm digging can range from sand up to 8", and then there's the clay filled vuggy sandstone that needs a good cleaning. That's why I classify to 1/2" before Flow Panning.

OP
OP
D

Denny45

Apr 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Flowpan

On Tuesday I flowpanned 5 buckets of unclassified at the river. Didn’t do too bad.

Attachments

• F671E5FA-FDB3-4621-ACBB-AA456E497886.jpeg
    F671E5FA-FDB3-4621-ACBB-AA456E497886.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 102

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread