Headed to the John Day Country

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe I am ready to get my feet wet, so to speak, and plan to head east into Oregon's John Day country for a scouting trip. I refer to it as such because this is my first venture into the area to look for gold. And while many have preceded me I still find the draw to this country impossible to ignore.

As a bona fide rookie I have no illusion of "striking it rich." I simply want to look at the land differently and to spot those first few rookie flakes in my pan. So, armed with many maps, a working knowledge of the claiming process, and a healthy respect for private property combined with a strong desire to avoid claim jumping, I plan to head out later this month from my home in St Helens.

We'll head out to Fossil, Oregon for our first stop and a visit to several places to learn more about local stratigraphy and to see the sights at Wheeler High School and the Fossil Beds National Monument units. Then on to Prairie City, which will serve as "base camp" as we explore the countryside to get the lay of the land. I hope to do some crevicing as well as panning. After several days we'll head south to Delintment Lake. Here we'll continue our scout and include fossils in the search. Finally, the return trip will take us to Glass Butte and Hampton Butte for some rockhounding.

I would never presume to ask for specific information and advice, but if anyone knows of any "Must See" locations comments would be appreciated. We are not strangers to the Oregon high desert, having been to the BLK sunstone area and dry camped in the region as well. We're not inclined to visit "pay to dig" sites but for rocks this may be an option. Combining rockhounding, fossil hunting, and gold panning in one trip may be ambitious but at my age you do what you can, when you can! In any case I am looking forward to collecting material and bringing home enough concentrate to justify the Miller table that I plan build this Fall.

Upvote 0

alaskaseeker

Jun 22, 2019
Ak,Tn
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There is plenty of information about gold producing areas at your USGS store...Why fly blind when you can read info, the next step would be getting permission .......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread