Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is more gold to the east, near Statesville. Do a Google search and see what you can find. I used to like the Cotton Patch mine, but they don't allow panning anymore.

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looking for a nice fee mining place to go gold panning in North Carolina with my mom that's not just a bag of salted paydirt. Not looking to get rich, just have an authentic experience in the Little Switzerland. area

Thanks

Closest fee mines to Little Switzerland would be Lucky Strike or Thermal City below Marion, might want to google them.

OP
OP
jadeblackhawk

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I have Googled, but it looks like those two place just sell bags of "paydirt", instead of collecting your own material. I can't go east unfortunately, this is where we are staying, rooms are already paid for.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Start with a topo map of the area you are headed. Look for streams with good gradient. Some of my best gold has come from areas where streams cross roads under bridges and also in the first few ridges on the inflow ends of culverts. Ask for permission and offer to demonstrate panning for the landowner/family. Watch for copperheads.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Three Mile Creek and Buchanan Creek go through some good drop around Little Switzerland. If y’all hear banjo music, don’t be harassin’ the local boys...

Buckshotnc

Nov 5, 2012
Western North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher GBII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have Googled, but it looks like those two place just sell bags of "paydirt", instead of collecting your own material. I can't go east unfortunately, this is where we are staying, rooms are already paid for.

I own property near both Lucky Strike & Thermal City and believe that each of them will let you pan and/or sluice in the Second Broad River for a fee.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a nice fee mining place to go gold panning in North Carolina with my mom that's not just a bag of salted paydirt. Not looking to get rich, just have an authentic experience in the Little Switzerland. area

Thanks

Your coming from Michigan ? on your way down, Hit Va. Contrary creek area.

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Contrary creek is a great place to prospect, lots of flood gold every year, better stuff requires a highbanker or dredge if the river is higher.

as far as NC, lucky strike is salted bags, thermal city digs a bucket load of dirt and dumps it near the panning area troughs or you can dig in the river

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread