Dry panning with Flow Pan

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I dry pan a lot, the Garret Super Sluice works for me. Totally different than wet. Pay dirt must be "baby powder dry" or the gold won't drop out. Tough to recover anything smaller than -20 with this method. Some good y tube vids on it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I read on Doc's site that the Flow Pan can also be used for dry panning. Anyone try it?

I'd assume that you would run similar to wet panning, but would clear down the mat with your hands.

I would say that if you process a mixture of sand and gravel that you can pretty safely clear the rocks by any means after you have sufficiently agitated the load. If, after that, there is fairly large quantity of sand left in the pan, say a fairly thick layer on top of the mat, I would not further process that as a whole but would save it and later divide it into small portions (only a shallow layer on top of the mat) to re run for final concentration. Remember water agitation puts material into semi suspension to allow specific gravity to do it's thing while dry agitation in a more or less confined area mostly just mixes equal sized particles no matter their individual weight. A relatively thin layer when agitated creates space for heavier material to settle and concentrate. That (open space) is why you can dry pan in a conventional pan and should be the case in the flow pan with possibly an added advantage of riffles on the bottom

Good luck.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread