Gold panning in Greece!

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello guys! I am new in gold prospecting so far and I am currently in need of some assistance from the pros! I have bought the basic equipment, a pan and a classifier. Oh, I have to mention that I live in Greece and specifically on an island. Let me tell you the backstory: there are two mountains which both Of them were active volcanos. Researches have be done in the past and showed that there is gold on those mountains, or in at least. So, we have the two mountains and some rivers crossing between them down to the sea. I have found a nice place though where I can search for gold because it’s more easy to approach it. I have already panned some dirt but I only took material from some random places. There are some trees on the sides of the river and there is also a waterfall, also there are many rocks in a short distance of the river and bedrocks too. I will send some photos too when I will have the chance to visit the place again. Maybe on Monday. Anyway my question: do I have the chances of finding some gold? And if yes, where do I have to look specifically? If gold was found deep in the mountains is there any chance of it to be found in the river? And if we suppose that the river is located in the altitude of 300 meters and the peak of the mountains is on 751 meters is it possible that the gold would have gone so low? Thank you guys in advance and I apologize for my noobiness!

Upvote 0

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The only time you don't have a chance of finding gold is by not trying.
Good Luck my friend and welcome!

OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello! Thanks for your reply! I know that Thrace has gold but that place is too far away from me. I need some advice on how to acquire a greater amount of chances of n finding some gold on the site which I described above. And if you may answer on some (or all) of my questions. I will probably visit the place again tomorrow and I will upload some photos to show you how exactly the site is and where do I have to start searching and maximize my possibilities. Do you have some general advice/ guidelines about gold prospecting on river sites?

OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was a very helpful site though! It appears that what i said on my post is valid because there is appearance of gold on the mountains.Ηere's what the report says:Epithermal gold mineralisation in the active Aegean volcanic arc. So we know that there is gold there,but whats the possibility of that gold deposits to have gone on lower levels through the rivers? If its epithermal gold is there a any chance of finding some of it by digging and panning amounts of dirt directly from the peak of the mountain? And my usual question: what are the best places/deposits on a river to search for gold in order to maximize your chances? Because as i mentioned i only went there once and i just randomly panned some dirt and most of it was directly from the bottom of the river,mostly inside cracks and bedrocks,but where are the best gold deposits?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, is it wise to start searching now that the river is dry on the bottom of it on the inside bends? Like under rocks,gravels and inside cracks/bedrocks? Is it possible that the gold would be deposited into the banks of the river, like mixed up with dirt? what is the river doesnt obvious bends? Or if it is straight? Then where is the right place to search?

OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So as i see it,you can find everywhere gold. I forgot to mention that the river has a waterfall too. Not a huge one it is only a few meters high but the water still drops with a great force. You can find gold on bends,crevices of bedrocks,benches,even on the point where the river flows into the sea,Also the river has many changes of elevation too. i believe that i have to go there tommorow and collect some dirt from those places now that the river is dry and its more easy rather than searching just on the bends and benches when it flows. Now, when i would search on the benches of the river,at first i believe that i have to observe if the water has eaten the earth and possibly have deposited gold in there. Anyway, i will visit that place tommorow and i will collect some dirt to pan at home because as i said at the moment the river is dry so i believe its a good chance to search on the bedrocks on the bottom of the river,and if there are any pay streaks. I will share some photos of the site too so you will give me some advices on how to acquire better chances.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try to classify the material to at least 1/4" mesh.This will allow you to bring/carry more material home.Bring home as much as you can carry,the more the better.And label the containers as to (where in the stream the material came from) in case you find a Hot spot.....Good Luck !:)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I guessing you are referring to the island of Milos (Melos). If so, you may be aware that a contract was signed in 1992 between S&B Industrial Minerals S.A. – and the Greek State for the search of gold-bearing deposits, in the meridian slopes of the hill of Profitis Elias in the western part of the island, an area that has been declared as Environmental Protection Zone in the Planning Study. And if they did find gold, the rivers/creeks in that area may be of particular interest to you.

Don.....

OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah! I didn’t expect anybody to know this really...yes they did find gold. I have posted the report above too. They mostly found gold on their mother rocks such us quartz. Now I know where to look for it but any advice is excepted. I will post some photos maybe today to show you how the site is and hopefully to help me search on where would I have most chances on finding some gold. Much appreciated!

OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured out that quartz specimens may carry a great amount of gold so from now on i am going to be doing some expeditions on the higher levels of the mountain too in searching of quartz and hopefully the kind of those which would contain some gold or at least veins. I know that many people on the island are frequently looking for quartz. Is it possible for gold to be sitted inside a quartz specimen or is it always on its surface,so it is obvious to see it?

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get going,get out there,lets SEE some Pix. ! :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What 24 hrs later....No Pictures ???

OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there! So i went today,i just came back to be specific. I tried many places such us bedrocks,crevices,bends even tree roots where there was dirt inside. I panned some of the dirt but of course i didnt find anything. I am starting to feel disappointed because there is no appearance of black sand at all. What stays behind in every pan is just white sand or some kind of glass,i dont know. I think that i need to go even deeper though but its not easy to carry the material so i will have to pan it on site,so i will also have to wait the rain first. I did notice the different levels of the river and where it seems to create pay streaks but i couldnt be sure. I mainly took some dirt from inside bends,tree roots and crevices but i reallly dont know how deep i have to dig. Anyway i have some photos of the site here. I have to repeat myself and make clear that at the moment the river is dry,and that may be a reason that its not right to search for gold right now because i think that i have to wait after a rain/flood.

https://files.fm/u/xedt5rev#/view/IMG_0440.JPG

OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will upload more in a bit. Those three are from last year after an extended period without rain so the level of the river is low.

OP
OP
A

Antmath

Oct 19, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My critical question is this: how deep i have to dig to maximize my chances? Because i may doing something very wrong such us digging and taking material which is not deep enough

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the looks of that little creek, especially the surrounding rock deposits. How deep to dig ? I'd dig as deep as I could.Maybe at the base of the little waterfall you posted .And the small pool you posted.Gotta be some black sand someplace (looking at the Pix.). Keep at it :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also bring something with you to move some of those boulders and dig under them . Like a come along.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread