i believe this is the correct color

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
regrettably my phone does not like trying to focus on really small things up close.

4 pieces of very small gold, these were in the material in the glass vial.

IMG_20191109_015833903_HDR.jpg

Upvote 0

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, that's more Gold flakes than I've ever found!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, this is something new to me. I'll bet it is gold.

docweiser

Aug 20, 2019
Maryland
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding placer Gold is an experience that is hard to describe. It's not all about the monetary value. Swirling around that dirt in the pan until almost nothing but the heavier materials are left in the pan and seeing those bright yellow particles usually in a nice contrast provided by the jet black magnetite is just a rewarding experience. It makes for a great family day out and having that glass vial with your found Gold on the kitchen table is priceless.

I've taken mom (84 now) Gold panning from California to Maine and she loves bringing out those vials at family events. Work your way upstream until it stops :)

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Congratulations, you're now a sick puppy like the rest of us here.
The 1st is the hardest to find and most rewarding no matter how small or few :occasion14:
Looks like gold but kinda hard to tell in the pic. Fill the vial with water and it will magnify them some. My field test is to put shade over it and if it still has a gold color then it's the real deal.

OP
OP
zemetrius

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
red ball is head of a safety pin acquired from the smarter (as in does not look for gold) half of my family.

gold in shadow.jpg gold in shadow
gold in the light.jpg gold in the light

piece number #5 is much smaller and went straight into the bottle with the other 4 pieces.

this is piece #6 it is much bigger and the camera on my phone could see it quite well.

OP
OP
zemetrius

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
you see 2 gold in light.jpg here you see 2 pieces of gold in the light

in shadow you see only 1.jpg now you only see one in the shadow.

almost like magic this is,

the colors are off as i am trying out a new camera on my phone, other camera is really being a pain.

OP
OP
zemetrius

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
found new app for my droid, has a microscope button, seems to work nice,
light.jpg gold in light

dark.jpg gold in shadow.

not a name dropper by nature, got these images with this:
Screenshot_20191111-120240.png

Eh U Guyz

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2016
Canada
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now you will be hooked! Here is A quick pan form one of our customers survey I worked on last night to show the nice gold color. This is from a hard rock mine. It was a small sample of 5lbs. He is one happy miner! After crushing down to 200 mesh and running across our water table it came out to 3.7 ounce per tonne! survey 292 NO.jpg

OP
OP
zemetrius

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
light 4.jpg
shadow 4.jpg

these 50 mesh things are bad enough, anything smaller than my 100 mesh screen, i put in a 2 liter bottle and drop in some mercury, i have the bottle sitting in a home depot bucket full of water, every day i give it a good shake then back in the bucket.

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I do a couple few things when I'm questioning if I have flour gold or flour nooooo-ld. :)

1. Get cheap magnifying glass or jeweler's loop with at least x25 magnification. Take a look at flakes under magnification. If gold, you'll be able to see a warm gold color that can be seen in both light and shade. Should give you that "wow, it's so beautiful" feeling.

2. Put flake on flat, hard surface. Mash flake with back of a spoon or equivalent. Gold will flatten and deform. Gold flakers (i.e., not gold) will typically crumble into dust.

3. If you have any fine black sands such as magnetite. Toss a small amount black sands and your flakes into a gold pan. Swirl stuff around. Gold will typically just sit on bottom of pan while other stuff moves around. Just be sure to put a little jet dry or equivalent into water to counter effects of water surface tension.

Boarteats

Mar 25, 2018
Near Baltimore
Detector(s) used
Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
zemetrius

zemetrius

May 12, 2019
Las Vegas
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
at this time, i must store it away till a later date. i am going to go with nitric acid once i need to process the mercury, not going to go the retort route, i believe i will get more of mercury back using nitric.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why do you think that? If you retort properly you won't lose anything and you don't have to mess with acid. Also better ways of dealing with the fines than pulling the merc card.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread