Gold Pan Hoarding?

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
Back in the mid-1990’s, soon after I started prospecting for gold, I had a 16” steel pan, 2 Garrett 14” pans, a Garrett 10” finishing pan and a couple of Buzzard Special GPAA pans. I can recall my late wife asking “Do you really need so many gold pans?”

Fast forward to 2019. Yes, I have recovered gold with every one of these. Some work better than others and some excel at certain conditions. We never know when we are going to need a gold pan! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1574792709.008105.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
The bateas work really well. You have to use a good swirling action and let the light material fly off evenly around the edge.

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It look like more of a collection, if you had stacks of the same pan you might have a hoard.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 4 of the Garrett 10/14 kits. The first kit I paid full price, and the rest were on clearance. Nice having the same pans when you have to pan back n forth a couple of times.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For whatever reason (maybe because I'm listening to Christmas music) when I saw all those pans I pictured them hanging on a Christmas tree as ornaments. You certainly have plenty enough.
One flaw, though, is that the pans are heavy and might have trouble hanging on the tree. And most of the pans are green and the tree would be green so the pans would blend in, but if you could pull it off I still think it would look amazing!
- Brian

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea about decorating the Christmas tree brianc053. In the theme of how hard gold is to find use a nice dead manzanita bush/tree. They’re plenty tough enough to hold the pans and would be a good change. The more I think about it .............

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice collection -- I have the same problem as I'm a collector and go to lot's of garage sales.
How can you pass up a gold pan for $1.00 -- I'm to the point now that if I already have the same pan I (might) not buy it.
Can't post a picture now but will in the future to prove I've got you beat.
Cheres Mike

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice collection -- I have the same problem as I'm a collector and go to lot's of garage sales.
How can you pass up a gold pan for $1.00 -- I'm to the point now that if I already have the same pan I (might) not buy it.
Can't post a picture now but will in the future to prove I've got you beat.
Cheres Mike

You are my hero!

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good idea about decorating the Christmas tree brianc053. In the theme of how hard gold is to find use a nice dead manzanita bush/tree. They’re plenty tough enough to hold the pans and would be a good change. The more I think about it .............

I like the idea a nice dead one.

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a collecting issue. Mostly because I like to try something new and different. I do have about 6 super sluices. Keep a couple in the car, keep a couple in the truck.... sure sucks to have time to kill and no pan in whatever your driving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread