A question about panning on steep creeks.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to the site...:hello:

First question would be; Is there gold in the area?

You'll find flood gold if it's in the first few inches of material, but
if you're finding gold deeper among the larger rocks then the odds
of decent gold being found are much better.

Even in powerful waters, there are still eddy's around larger boulders,
there's spaces between the rocks, etc.

Any pictures of the area?

OP
OP
S

Shoesnsocks

Feb 22, 2020
Placer county, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Dizz. I can take some pics next time I go there. I have found some fine gold and one larger flake that was pretty cool, but just still started wondering if I should try to find a flatter area.

There is a part of the creek with larger boulders in it, but it's also covered with a lot of overburden. Maybe I'll try to work that area anyways next time.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the creek is steep then I assume that it is fed by nearby mountains.
The fact that you have found gold is a good sign. Gold will always find it's way into cracks and crevices no matter how fast the flow.

Think in geological time. Prospect the banks and high benches as well, always a possibility that the creek has changed course over time.
Remember, the good gold has been waiting for you to find it for millions of years.

Go for the Gold
GG~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread