What did I find in the pan

bblamo

Sep 18, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early 70s my dad and I would pan and sluice in various streams all over Colorado. This year I picked up a pan to play with when the fish aren’t bitting.

Out of the 4 or 5 times I’ve been panning this year I have not found even a small speck of gold. I still find it fun to prospect though.

Today I took a quick drive to the hills to pan a spot on a stream that may be downstream of a known gold mining area. I think that I have copper / silver. Some research online lead me to that assumption.
If anyone out there could confirm or dispute this for me that would be cool.

Does gold live in the same areas as copper / silver. Should I keep looking for gold in this area.

Thanks for the feedback.
bblamo

Attachments

• 705EC815-F273-43AF-8CBF-2FDD243F453F.jpeg
    705EC815-F273-43AF-8CBF-2FDD243F453F.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 2E34A74E-9E8E-4831-A2E3-87970BBDC365.jpeg
    2E34A74E-9E8E-4831-A2E3-87970BBDC365.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 90
Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is definitely in the same areas.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are those pieces parts to an exploded copper jacketed modern bullet? The big piece seems like it.

OP
OP
B

bblamo

Sep 18, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are those pieces parts to an exploded copper jacketed modern bullet? The big piece seems like it.

That’s a possibility. I hadn’t thought of that.
If I press hard enough I can scratch the metal behind the copper. It’s appears to be harder than lead but it could be an alloy of some type.

Thanks for the feedback.
bblamo

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A prominent member of this forum (Kevin in Colorado) wrote a book about finding gold in Colorado. It's surely worth your while to pick up a copy to direct your outings to productive locations.��

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
BB, Smokey is dead-on..what you've got there are the
leftovers from a copper jacketed, lead round.

Now, if you can find those in your pan you can certainly
find the gold, too. Agreed: Kevin's book will teach you a
vast amount of where and how to find that gold. digging_zpsefcf9a69.gif

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Roosevelt '89d dime, ld recognize one anywhere. :laughing7:

But, looking closely at the rounded back of the copper there appears to be imprints from rifling lands. Cool find all the same. Lead (11.3 grams per a cubic centimeter) is a bit more than half as dense as gold (19.3 g/cc) and silver (10.5 g/cc)near half the density of gold. Try digging deeper, you might be in the right spot if metals are collecting there.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
If in doubt on what you find ,take it to one of your local state colleges to their Geology lab and they could I'D it for you positively ! After all , you already paid for it through your tax's !

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey there, I think the items in your pick are human made rather than natural.

As mentioned above, my book lists over 180 legal public access dig sites. It also educated the reader on the history and gold bearing areas of the state. At 480 pages, it’s a fairly comprehensive book. Finding Gold in Colorado will show you where exactly to dig and why!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread