Panning Newbie: Question about metals I am finding. Photo

tshella1

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! This is my first post on Treasurenet. I recently moved to Meriwether County, Georgia. There is a fairly large creek on the property. I have found a SMALL amount of very fine gold here in the creek. My question is about the other heavy metals I find, especially on the bank. If I am finding the type of metals in the photo am I correct in assuming that there isn't really any gold here because it would be with these if it were here?

Attachments

• 20200919_151137.jpg
    20200919_151137.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
Upvote 0

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not necessarily. Gold seeks the lowest level it can sink to... usually on or close to bedrock or a false bedrock such as a clay layer or some type of hardpan. The size gold you have already found is probably representative of what you are likely to find in that vicinity and it is likely to concentrate with other m
ostly like sized material (sand and small gravel) lying beneath material of the sizes you have pictured. A best case scenario is if you have bedrock outcrops. Gather your material from the surface of them or clay layers and especially remember to clean out the cracks, etc. Gold seeks the lowest level no matter it's size.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:

freeme7t2

Oct 28, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You state you are in Georgia, there is a company (Gold Hog) north of you, Athens area, that has tons of videos, how too info, and lots of Georgia panning information. Give them a look see or find them on u-tube. This is not an ad just was able to find a lot of answers to my questions. Born and raised just outside of Phenix City, Alabama now living in Wisconsin.

OP
OP
T

tshella1

Tenderfoot
Sep 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I will check out the videos.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread