Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My first book on the the subject was Gold Finding Secrets by Edwin P Morgan, its pretty old school.

OP
OP
P

potsherd_creek

Jan 12, 2021
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all for the recommendations, I will start with Edwin Morgan's book, got a used copy coming, $6.75 shipped. I live below the Virginia gold/pyrite belt and above the gold bearing Carolina slate belt.
Probably not much where I am going to start, my plan is if I can pan even a minuscule amount, enough to pay for the pans in the first few outings, then I will buy a sluice. I am not poor, rather comfortable but feel I should start out with the basics.
If I don't find much around these parts, at least I will have learned the basics of prospecting and can then travel. Virginia used to be a top gold producing state, then I hear something happened in 1849. Them must have been a tough bunch !!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of books on probable gold locations, where to find gold in CO, AZ, CA etc. What non locality book would you recommend for prospector techniques and areas to better look in rivers and creeks with some illustration. I have read A LOT on TNet with some good info but would like one book on the subject.

Keep your money in your pocket!

Here you go: click here ->http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/gold-prospecting/266213-motherlode.html

Open Library
Read online or have them read to you free.
1000's of hard to find and rare prospecting journals and books from the 1800's on.
Signup as a member for free!

Not to be taken lightly. This is one of the best free resources on the internet!
The older books and journals will tell you about long since forgotten and overlooked sources of gold.
Be sure to sign up free as a member to unlock more features including having access to read the books marked "Borrow"

Set your browser to "full screen" for best viewing, then click on the page to turn it.
"Recommended for prospector techniques and areas to better look in rivers and creeks with some illustration"
https://openlibrary.org/search?q=go...facet=Gold+mines+and+mining&has_fulltext=true

Downloadable USGS maps for every state: https://archive.org/details/maps_usgs

Go for the Gold!
GG~

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes Russ! chris’ book is the best for technique.

lostcoast

Greenie
Nov 8, 2021
As far as older but relevant books go, the three I always see mentioned are:

Prospecting and Operating Small Gold Placers by William F. Boericke
Handbook for Prospectors by Richard Pearl
Prospector's Field-Book and Guide by H.S. Osborn

Haven't heard of Gold Finding Secrets before, thanks for that. Will check it out.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Good Guy posted some great books to read and don't forget your state's Department of Resources and lots of free to maybe a minimal cost for LOT'S of already done book's and reports of your state's resources. !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions