How to find experienced panners or groups to learn with?

HoosierDude

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So, I created this account back in 2012. I still have never panned for gold. I'm an avid outdoorsman, always backpacking, multi-day trips. I really want to start learning how to start panning for gold with basic tools. I'm thinking just a pan and a handpump (?) for cleaning out cracks and crevices. Nothing fancy, just simple tools that I can carry with ease.

Trouble is... I don't know anyone who does this. And although I prefer to enjoy the outdoors alone, if I'm new at something it'd be nice to learn from someone. I also don't know where I can do this legally and don't know many people with creek property. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

HoosierDude

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2012
Southern Indiana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Any non-Facebook groups? I quit Facebook and all social media a year or so ago. =/

Trying to return to times when the internet was at it's best: Individual forums without big-tech. :)

EDIT: Looks like I can still see events without having to re-activate my old account. I've bookmarked it and will check it every few weeks I suppose!

Last edited:

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever find yourself over here in mid Ohio I’d be happy to go out panning. I’m not expert but I’ve moved several ton through my pans. Hahaha. Heck I even know where to find some gold.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I created this account back in 2012. I still have never panned for gold. I'm an avid outdoorsman, always backpacking, multi-day trips. I really want to start learning how to start panning for gold with basic tools. I'm thinking just a pan and a handpump (?) for cleaning out cracks and crevices. Nothing fancy, just simple tools that I can carry with ease.

Trouble is... I don't know anyone who does this. And although I prefer to enjoy the outdoors alone, if I'm new at something it'd be nice to learn from someone. I also don't know where I can do this legally and don't know many people with creek property. Any thoughts?

A great place to get started is in Gatesville Indiana, that's where you can go to the creek behind the general store and pan all you want for free.
The folks at the store will show you what you need to know and even loan or sell you a gold pan.

Gatesville is more of a place than a town and is near Nashville Indiana in Brown County. Just ask for Robin or Doug at the store and they will be very helpful.
They have everything you need to get started and there is always gold to be found in the creek that gets replenished with every flood.

Minimum equipment you will need is a shovel, 5gal bucket, classifier, gold pan, snuffer bottle, and gold vial to put your gold into, all but the shovel and bucket can usually be purchased at the Gatesville Country Store along with other assorted items for mining.

gatesville.jpg

au.jpg
Here is a sample of some gold that I panned from the creek.
Typical fine glacial gold found in Salt Creek.

The Southern Indiana Chapter of the GPAA Meetings are held the 2nd Saturday of each month at the Gatesville Store.
Members and guests usually campout on the property for the weekend.

Go for the Gold!
GG~

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
There you go HoosierDude. Best of luck.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Robin serves a great meal at a reasonable price!
I miss her biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, pork chops, hash browns, grits, pancakes, etc.
Good ol' country cookin'.

Out here in the high desert I have to make my own breakfast. Coffee and jerky, but the view is great! :tongue3:
083.jpg

GG~

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out .................
GPAA outing at the Gatesville store and Salt Creek.

Last edited:

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I miss her biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, bacon, ham, pork chops, hash browns, grits, pancakes, etc.
Good ol' country cookin'.

Out here in the high desert I have to make my own breakfast. Coffee and jerky, but the view is great! :tongue3:
View attachment 1909940

GG~

Wish I could be there with you. I can smell the coffee now.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could be there with you. I can smell the coffee now.

I'll save a spot around the campfire for you. :icon_thumright:
And all the cowboy coffee you can drink!

1.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread