1st time panning in 2 years, working old bought pay - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: 1st time panning in 2 years, working old bought pay

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1324 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    UPDATE: I had bought a 2 lb bag of paydirt from Dirt Hogg, when through it today. I used my 6" classifiers (4,8,30) and under them my 15 inch 100 mesh classifier.

I took about 2 hours to go through it. Found several pickers and a lot of flour gold, it was amazing how small the gold in the 100 mesh is, I didn't bother trying to find stuff that went through the 100 mesh as I can hardly see the 100 mesh!!!

I weighed up the pickers and they were .5 grams, I couldn't find my grain scale. but my guess is that there is about $30+ worth of gold which is nice but the bag costs $109

but that being said I had a blast doing it!!

I looked back on my records and in 10 prospecting trips, to NH and western MA I found 3 flakes in all that time and when I add up the campgrounds and camping cabins and gas it was hundreds of dollars. Although every trip was a fun time. The first picture is all the gold I found in those trips The next two are from the Dirt Hogg gold.

I was hoping for more but it is addicting

Dirt Hogg 2 lb bag

arizau, Phil, DizzyDigger and 2 others like this.
    Ferengi Rules of Acquisition

#59 "Free advice is seldom cheap"

#92 "Never confuse wisdom with luck"

2021 Totals: Halves: 33 40% 12 90%, Dimes: 12, Quarters: 0
    Canada 80% Dimes: 1
    2021 GOAL: 300 silver Currently 58/300

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 15, bags 3, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 0, bags 2, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 0, bags , CWR 20 BWR 50

MILES Driven 300

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3469 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    UPDATE: I had bought a 2 lb bag of paydirt from Dirt Hogg, when through it today. I used my 6" classifiers (4,8,30) and under them my 15 inch 100 mesh classifier.

I took about 2 hours to go through it. Found several pickers and a lot of flour gold, it was amazing how small the gold in the 100 mesh is, I didn't bother trying to find stuff that went through the 100 mesh as I can hardly see the 100 mesh!!!

I weighed up the pickers and they were .5 grams, I couldn't find my grain scale. but my guess is that there is about $30+ worth of gold which is nice but the bag costs $109

but that being said I had a blast doing it!!

I looked back on my records and in 10 prospecting trips, to NH and western MA I found 3 flakes in all that time and when I add up the campgrounds and camping cabins and gas it was hundreds of dollars. Although every trip was a fun time. The first picture is all the gold I found in those trips The next two are from the Dirt Hogg gold.

I was hoping for more but it is addicting

Dirt Hogg 2 lb bag

I hope you didn't throw the minus 100 mesh paydirt away. It is always fascinating to me to pan the small stuff and see the gold separate from the waste while panning.

A tip to handle micro gold.....Tilt pan to drain water off the gold then press down hard on the gold with a dry fingertip (I just wipe it on my pants) to pick up the gold then dip your fingertip in the water of a full vial to collect the gold (it immediately drops off). You may pick up some black sands too so just pour vial contents back in pan and repeat the process until clean.

Good luck and have fun.

PS. I read in a canadian gold forum years back where dirt hogg adds gold to random bags and at least makes that bag profitable.
    Last edited by arizau; Aug 31, 2021 at 09:09 PM.
    Phil, russau and Fat like this.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1324 times
    Gold Panning, Metal detecting, beach combing, shooting, photography, genealogy, gardening
    I still have the -100 stuff, part of the problem with that is with my eyes I can't see the gold that fine.

I have a magnet with a handle that I use to separate black sands.

I have to admit that I had fun!
    russau and Fat like this.

Boxes searched: Halves boxes 15, bags 3, CWR 0, loose 0 : Dimes boxes 0, bags 2, BWR 0, CWR 0 : Quarters boxes 0, bags , CWR 20 BWR 50

MILES Driven 300

Charter Member
    us
    Conservative Texan for life...

Nov 2018
    Deep East Texas
    XP DEUS w/ 9" X35, 9” HF & MI6 Pinpointer - Nokta Fors Core w/Garrett Z-Link Headphones and Pinpointer
    2306 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Panning Paydirt for gold in my air conditioned man cave...

Can't beat it imo if you dont mind NOT spending thousands of $$$ to go chase it in the wild!

russau, DizzyDigger and Fat like this.
    #TEXIT!

us
    retired bumb and part time Hobo

May 2005
    St. Louis, missouri
    5590 times
    Quote Originally Posted by arizau View Post
    I hope you didn't throw the minus 100 mesh paydirt away. It is always fascinating to me to pan the small stuff and see the gold separate from the waste while panning.

A tip to handle micro gold.....Tilt pan to drain water off the gold then press down hard on the gold with a dry fingertip (I just wipe it on my pants) to pick up the gold then dip your fingertip in the water of a full vial to collect the gold (it immediately drops off). You may pick up some black sands too so just pour vial contents back in pan and repeat the process until clean.

Good luck and have fun.

PS. I read in a canadian gold forum years back where dirt hogg adds gold to random bags and at least makes that bag profitable.
    EVERYONE adds a specific amount of gold to the cons...... They have to make a profit to stay in the business !
    Fat likes this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1324 times
    I could be wrong but at least in New England you actually get more gold per hour and at lesser cost by buying paydirt, if you consider the hourly rate/cost of driving 4-5 hours each way to a gold baring stream and then a hotel or campgrouind and the 2-3 days of working for a few flakes.
    But the quest itself is an adventure and fun. the same could be said for people that buy flakes in a vial getting the gold with no work. If you figure you could make $15 an hour flipping burgers and buy gold with it.

To relate it to something I actually tracked. One year, about 15 years ago I kept track of every hour I spent metal detecting, I did NOT track the cost of gas and batteries, however if I did I am sure I would have lost a lot of money. Anyhow spending about 400 hours I found that I made about 39 cents an hour, that including finding silver coins and a few gold rings. If I added gas and batteries it would have cost me 39 cents an hour or more.

I have talked to others who spend 3 days getting 3 or 4 flakes of flour gold, I know in my case in 6 trips up north I got 3 flakes. But it is adventure in that case but it is not a money maker
    russau, Goodyguy and Fat like this.

MILES Driven 300

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11287 times
    Prospecting
    I remember mailing you some sluice cons years ago.

Nowadays I have a mining claim on the Blue River in Summit County CO and occasionally send unsearched paydirt to folks that want real wild panning.
    russau, Goodyguy, Fat and 1 others like this.

us
    Aug 2012
    Massachusetts
    Whites, Garrett
    1324 times
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinInColorado View Post
    I remember mailing you some sluice cons years ago.

Nowadays I have a mining claim on the Blue River in Summit County CO and occasionally send unsearched paydirt to folks that want real wild panning.
    If you do send some if you could put me on the list and let me know how much to cover the costs! Dirt from a real claim would be great as it would feel and be real and any flake found not salted!

Jeff
    russau, arizau, Goodyguy and 1 others like this.

MILES Driven 300

us
    Author of a book about finding gold in Colorado

Jan 2012
    Summit County, Colorado
    Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
    11287 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cartwright SASS View Post
    If you do send some if you could put me on the list and let me know how much to cover the costs! Dirt from a real claim would be great as it would feel and be real and any flake found not salted!

Jeff
    Will do sir!
    Fat and delnorter like this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links