DigItUp

Jun 28, 2005
louisiana

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
DigItUp said:

I was looking through an old bag when I found a 5 Dollar bill and it says "The State Of Louisiana will pay to bearer" on it and it also says October 10th 1862 I might sound stupid for asking but did states issue their own currancy i don't really know alot about or collect paper currancy but Im curious to find out about it.

Is there a baby girl on it? I have a rare paper catalog around here somewhere, and I remember it having some kind of stocks or cerificates issued from somewhere in louisiana.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Could we see a picture of it please?

Oct 2, 2008
HamburgAR
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 Old Folks Knowledge
digitup, here is a scan from a littleton catalog.

Attachments

• untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 941
  • untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,015
OP
OP
DigItUp

DigItUp

Jun 28, 2005
louisiana
I Can't post a pic but I'll try to describe it as best I can

It's the size of a regular Dollar bill it looks as if it's been torn at the bottom and possibly down the middle it has an image of a soldier it looks like. pointing his sword at another person who is lying on the ground it looks as if the other person has a sword too anyway the soldier is standing or has one of his legs on an eagles neck ( That doesn't sound very American) at the top i can read " twelve months after a definitive treaty of peace between the confederate states and the united states" it also says something down the side but I can't make it out. it also has the pelican feeding her young on it like the LA flag and a man sitting by a river bank pouring water into the river that's pretty much it sorry I couldn't post a pic it frustrates me a lot as well.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig,

Is this it?

Paper-15a.jpg

This state of Louisiana Confederate note of October 10, 1862, shows the Federal eagle being struck down by the Champion of the Confederacy.
http://www.journalofantiques.com/June04/coinsjune04.htm

csa-43.jpg

Louisiana, Baton Rouge - Good+ The State of Louisiana March. 10th 1863 Personification of the south striking down the north. Lazy 5 on bottom of note. Top edge a little rough. Ornate green back. CSA-43
http://www.cccoin1.com/uscurrency.htm

http://home.earthlink.net/~icepick119/page4.html

That's about all I could find out, maybe DG39 (museum curator) will have more info.

:wink: RR

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread