1963 $20 (with pic)

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Re: 1963 $20

That note doesn't exist. You've listed the wrong serial number or the wrong series. Also the condition.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

actually it does exist. I will post a photo of it so that you can see it for yourself.
what makes you think that it doesn't exist??

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

timbobwey said:
actually it does exist. I will post a photo of it so that you can see it for yourself.
what makes you think that it doesn't exist??

It doesn't exist because the 1963 series $20 San Francisco notes only went up to serial number L07040000A.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

Although, I should have typed 'according to BEP records it doesn't exist.' There have been times where the records are incorrect.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

icon_worthless.gif

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I will post a pic, I am at work right now. It will be posted later tonight, around 2:00 am. I agree this post is going no where without a pic, so you shall see the truth. The answers are coming.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

After rereading your first post I am assuming you have a 1963A $20 which would make sense with your serial number. In which case it isn't worth much over face value.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yeah, I said series A. I saw one on ebay going for over $400 that the serial number started with an L and ended with an A, just like mine.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok, if anyone wants to see the link to the $20 bill on e-bay that is selling for over $400 it is item # 350264967742.
It says it's a san fransico bill. My bill has the same letter is the serial number, almost the same everything, the serial number is obviously not the same.
Like I said, I will post pics later, you can compare my bill to this one..
If anyone can tell me why this bill on e-bay is so rare, let me know. I have no Idea, i just found it and thought maybe I've got something kind of valuable.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

timbobwey said:
Ok, if anyone wants to see the link to the $20 bill on e-bay that is selling for over $400 it is item # 350264967742.
It says it's a san fransico bill. My bill has the same letter is the serial number, almost the same everything, the serial number is obviously not the same.
If anyone can tell me why this bill on e-bay is so rare, let me know. I have no Idea, i just found it and thought maybe I've got something kind of valuable.
Some ebay sellers will try anything for a buck. I've saw some crazy prices on there. I mean look at this item number-190391888756

Historyhound

Nov 2, 2006
Schenectady New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

diggummup said:
timbobwey said:
Some ebay sellers will try anything for a buck. I've saw some crazy prices on there. I mean look at this item number-190391888756

That is just TOOOOOOOOOOO FUNNY!! I see there's a 7-day money back guarantee. The only guarantee is that the money will be LONG GONE but quick. If it were in the shape of the Virgin Mary, there would probably be alot of fools fighting over it at that price.

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

A couple things to consider since you did ask for any help:

I read your title which states a 1963 $20, then posted that your note didn't exist because a 1963 $20 note wouldn't exist with the given serial number. Typically when you state the series it would be 1963A, not 1963 series A. I read your post as "Got a 1963 series. A $20 bill at work."

But regardless, the Ebay auction you point out means nothing. It's got no bids and has not sold. A seller can list anything (like the driftwood mentioned) but it doesn't mean that it is rare or valuable.

The 1963A $20 San Fran notes are basically a common collector note and don't hold much value over face. Unless it is in uncirculated condition or darn near close to it. They are very hard to find in common circulation, yes, but so are dateless buffalo nickels which don't sell for much over face value.

But if you disagree then let us know if you sell to someone or if you post on Ebay yourself.

Happy Hunting.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I understand in my post title I didn't include the A. But I take it you read the actual post itself where I put series A, which should lead you to know that it is indeed a 1963A.. Sorry it wasn't in the post title, I should have put it there.
I know people try to take advantage of others on E-bay. It happens a lot, I know the price doesn't mean much at this point, I just thought it might be worth maybe like 50 bucks or something. I was just curious, no one on here seems to know. But the bill does exist, and I promise I will find out what it is worth, and I will let you guys know. I'm still trying to post the pic, having trouble. I don't feel like running out and buying a red book, I'm honestly more into coin hunting. This just came out of no where, thought it was old and cool, so I baught it from the register. I've got several old bills from work, even some star notes. My oldest being a 1934 $20, in crisp but not uncirculated condition. I also got a 1969 $20.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

here is the pic, hope this helps, and shows that it is a real bill

Attachments

• 20.JPG
    20.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 7,061

dave92

May 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the pic, hope this helps, and shows that it is a real bill

to the person that didnt think it was real here is a website with Federal Reserve Bank letters United States Secret Service: Know Your Money - Counterfeit Awareness

L 12 is from san fran.

also i have 1963 20 dollar a series but its from chicago i had mine graded and appraised the expert said it was one level away from being perfect because it had one tiny fold on a corner other than that he said it was awsome and valued mine at 35 dollars.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread