ripped currency- what to do!!!!!!!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I found a $20 bill from 2004 under the lawn mower of my grandfather's house-it was not there last week, I cut the lawn every week. Anyway, under the lawn mower I found a 2006 colorized $20 bill... the whole right half is there, but the left half is nowhere to be found.

I am not a person to rip the $20 in half and double my money, this dollar bill has clearly seen its day... Here is the description:
about 50-55% of the bill is there, the bottom right serial number is clearly visable but cannot read "Jackson" under andrew jackson.
The $20 looks like moths have gotten to it, 5 small holes but the green treasury seal is still there.
Held up to the light, the water mark of Jackson is clearly visable and the bottom right 20 changes color when tilted in the light(LEGIT NOTE)

What do I do with the bill? will the bank accept it and give me a new one? Sorry my scanner will not scan money for some reason, it will scan coins though(security feature?)

Thanks all for reading, and for all the helpful responses/personal experiances, thanks for posting!!!

HH!
BuffaloBoy

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly, most banks will give you a percentage of the torn bill, so if you have half, then you get ten dollars instead of the full twenty.

Good Luck

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
Contact OCS

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing's Office of Currency Standards (OCS) handles all cases of mutilated paper money. The OCS segment of the Treasury website provides the mailing address and complete shipping instructions for exchanging your currency. If less than half of your bill can be distinguished then you will receive a brand new bill. But only if you can explain, how it was damaged. You also have to prove that the other part of the bill has been completely destroyed.

If your bill has simply been torn, ripped or dirtied and more than half is clearly identifiable. You can just go to your local bank and have it exchanged for a new one.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mdockter said:
If your bill has simply been torn, ripped or dirtied and more than half is clearly identifiable. You can just go to your local bank and have it exchanged for a new one.

Yep :thumbsup:

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, just go to your bank and try to exchange it. Most of them will take it since they send mutilated money to the fed all the time and should have no problem exchanging it if more than 50% of it is there. Try a few banks if your normal one won't take it, if all else fails send it to the printing and engraving department and get another one.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I can say that the other half was torn to shreads by the lawn mower? I think that is what happened- I am going to my dump bank tomorrow and dumping coin there, TD bank... should I speak to a teller or the manager? Honestly, if I only get $10 for it, it is better than nothing because I found it for free.

Thanks so much all for responding and really helping me out! It's very nice to see good people on this forum!

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if it matters, the serial number is: IK00000987B

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just go to the bank and as long as there is at least 51% there you will get a new bill.

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy said:
So I can say that the other half was torn to shreads by the lawn mower? I think that is what happened- I am going to my dump bank tomorrow and dumping coin there, TD bank... should I speak to a teller or the manager? Honestly, if I only get $10 for it, it is better than nothing because I found it for free.

Thanks so much all for responding and really helping me out! It's very nice to see good people on this forum!

If you have more than half of it, it really doesn't matter where the rest of it is, because it can't be turned in for a new bill since it would be less than half. I don't think they will give you $10, it will probably be $20 or nothing. Worth a try :thumbsup:

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
I believe you need one full serial number and half of the other
in order to redeem it for another full bill. At least, that's what my local bank told me.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have 51% or more, you are entitled to full face value as long as the full serial number is readable. I wouldn't settle for less. I remember seeing a show about a decade ago on how the OCS does the reconstruction of hoards of currency in a house fire, or flood.

If you have somewhere between 33% and 50%, see if the bank will give you $10 for it...you might get lucky even though you aren't entitled to anything...

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
51% is cutting it very close- I do have sources to back up that it is real, the water mark and the reflection of the 20 on the bottom right corner... Now if it were the uncolored $20 or the style before that, I am sure the bank may not accept those(the $20 bills with the smaller head/diff. design)

Tomorrow will go to the bank, if they say no, I will go to another bank. I have 3 banks right now that I could go to, 2 different ones this week I am going to.

More detailed description: you can see Jackson's nose and a clip of his left eye(looking at the bill)... on the bottom I can read TWENTY DOLLARS.

On the back, I can dead: THE UNITED STATES, IN GOD WE, TWENTY D... and the caption below the white house I can read: "WHI"

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
normally you will need to have both of the two serial number sets (left / right) or the bulk % wize of the bill and at least 1 of set of the numbers --this is to avoid folks cutting bills in half and turning in the two halves for "replacement" at differant times / places

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I see what you mean by doubling money, but this bill looks like it clearly has seen its day... will give it a try later at the bank, will let you people know how it goes with "bank 1"

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well bank #1 told me that in order to cash it in, I need at least 1 digit of the second serial # in order to get a $20 for an exchange. Ughh... Will try bank #2 wedsnesday.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread