Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    R.I.P. Rich Hartford, You'll be missed.

Feb 2011
    in front of you in the bank
    1258 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

ripped currency- what to do!!!!!!!!!

Hi all, I found a $20 bill from 2004 under the lawn mower of my grandfather's house-it was not there last week, I cut the lawn every week. Anyway, under the lawn mower I found a 2006 colorized $20 bill... the whole right half is there, but the left half is nowhere to be found.

I am not a person to rip the $20 in half and double my money, this dollar bill has clearly seen its day... Here is the description:
    about 50-55% of the bill is there, the bottom right serial number is clearly visable but cannot read "Jackson" under andrew jackson.
    The $20 looks like moths have gotten to it, 5 small holes but the green treasury seal is still there.
    Held up to the light, the water mark of Jackson is clearly visable and the bottom right 20 changes color when tilted in the light(LEGIT NOTE)

What do I do with the bill? will the bank accept it and give me a new one? Sorry my scanner will not scan money for some reason, it will scan coins though(security feature?)

Thanks all for reading, and for all the helpful responses/personal experiances, thanks for posting!!!

HH!
    BuffaloBoy
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Mar 2007
    Michigan
    Whites V3i
    5 times

Re: ripped currency- what to do!!!!!!!!!

If I remember correctly, most banks will give you a percentage of the torn bill, so if you have half, then you get ten dollars instead of the full twenty.

Good Luck

us
    May 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    15 times

Contact OCS

The Bureau of Engraving and Printing's Office of Currency Standards (OCS) handles all cases of mutilated paper money. The OCS segment of the Treasury website provides the mailing address and complete shipping instructions for exchanging your currency. If less than half of your bill can be distinguished then you will receive a brand new bill. But only if you can explain, how it was damaged. You also have to prove that the other part of the bill has been completely destroyed.

If your bill has simply been torn, ripped or dirtied and more than half is clearly identifiable. You can just go to your local bank and have it exchanged for a new one.

Totals:
    FDR Dimes
    Winged Liberty
    Head Dimes
    Walking Halves

JFK 40% Halves

JFK 90% Halves
    Franklin
    Halves
    War Nickels

Washington Silver
    Quarters
    Foreign
    Silver Dimes
    Silver Averages:
    Dimes: 1.370/box
    War Nickels: 0.583/box

us
    May 2010
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by mdockter
    If your bill has simply been torn, ripped or dirtied and more than half is clearly identifiable. You can just go to your local bank and have it exchanged for a new one.
    Yep

us
    Jul 2010
    Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
    264 times
    Coin roll hunting, British coins, ancient coins, antiquities

Yep, just go to your bank and try to exchange it. Most of them will take it since they send mutilated money to the fed all the time and should have no problem exchanging it if more than 50% of it is there. Try a few banks if your normal one won't take it, if all else fails send it to the printing and engraving department and get another one.

Speeding up Gresham's law one roll at a time

us

Feb 2011
    1258 times

So I can say that the other half was torn to shreads by the lawn mower? I think that is what happened- I am going to my dump bank tomorrow and dumping coin there, TD bank... should I speak to a teller or the manager? Honestly, if I only get $10 for it, it is better than nothing because I found it for free.

Thanks so much all for responding and really helping me out! It's very nice to see good people on this forum!
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us

Feb 2011
    1258 times

Also if it matters, the serial number is: IK00000987B
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    May 2009
    37 times

just go to the bank and as long as there is at least 51% there you will get a new bill.

us
    May 2009
    37 times

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBoy
    and on a really low serial numbered bill

us
    May 2010
    Tennessee

So I can say that the other half was torn to shreads by the lawn mower? I think that is what happened- I am going to my dump bank tomorrow and dumping coin there, TD bank... should I speak to a teller or the manager? Honestly, if I only get $10 for it, it is better than nothing because I found it for free.

Thanks so much all for responding and really helping me out! It's very nice to see good people on this forum!
    If you have more than half of it, it really doesn't matter where the rest of it is, because it can't be turned in for a new bill since it would be less than half. I don't think they will give you $10, it will probably be $20 or nothing. Worth a try

us
    Feb 2010
    SJ, CA

I believe you need one full serial number and half of the other
    in order to redeem it for another full bill. At least, that's what my local bank told me.

us
    May 2011
    Eastern Iowa
    15 times

If you have 51% or more, you are entitled to full face value as long as the full serial number is readable. I wouldn't settle for less. I remember seeing a show about a decade ago on how the OCS does the reconstruction of hoards of currency in a house fire, or flood.

If you have somewhere between 33% and 50%, see if the bank will give you $10 for it...you might get lucky even though you aren't entitled to anything...

Totals:
    FDR Dimes
    Winged Liberty
    Head Dimes
    Walking Halves

JFK 40% Halves

JFK 90% Halves
    Franklin
    Halves
    War Nickels

Washington Silver
    Quarters
    Foreign
    Silver Dimes
    Silver Averages:
    Dimes: 1.370/box
    War Nickels: 0.583/box

us

Feb 2011
    1258 times

51% is cutting it very close- I do have sources to back up that it is real, the water mark and the reflection of the 20 on the bottom right corner... Now if it were the uncolored $20 or the style before that, I am sure the bank may not accept those(the $20 bills with the smaller head/diff. design)

Tomorrow will go to the bank, if they say no, I will go to another bank. I have 3 banks right now that I could go to, 2 different ones this week I am going to.

More detailed description: you can see Jackson's nose and a clip of his left eye(looking at the bill)... on the bottom I can read TWENTY DOLLARS.

On the back, I can dead: THE UNITED STATES, IN GOD WE, TWENTY D... and the caption below the white house I can read: "WHI"
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Mar 2010
    Colorado Springs CO.
    Bounty Hunter QS
    1 times

aaawwwwwww, darn, its a REALLY low serial, and a partial down-ladder!!! too bad keep it up and hh! [R.I.P. Rich Hartford]
    CHAINCHOMP

us
    da book worm--researcher

Feb 2007
    callahan,fl
    delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
    688 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

normally you will need to have both of the two serial number sets (left / right) or the bulk % wize of the bill and at least 1 of set of the numbers --this is to avoid folks cutting bills in half and turning in the two halves for "replacement" at differant times / places

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors