All Treasure Hunting

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that as well and always wondered how that can be? I mean, how often do they have to substitue stars when mistakes are made? Do they issue 1 star for every 10 bills properly printed? 1 out of 20.. 30..1000...100000.. what? I would think that the percentage would be low. Thereby making the supply low.... wouldn't that almost immediately make collectors go mad, thereby increasing the demand?!?!?

I've never understood it.

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are billions of notes made then star notes are probably in the millions. A random look in my wallet reveals a $10 star from 1999 - BF 04092888*

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah yes,but an older star note is worth quite a bit more than the same series note without the star.On the average 5 times more valuable.

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diggummup said:
Ah yes,but an older star note is worth quite a bit more than the same series note without the star.On the average 5 times more valuable.

Actually, star notes all carry a little bit of a premium (5 times face sound a little high though). However just because a star note is old, doesn't mean it is more valuable than a new star note. As far as I can tell, here is what makes a star note or any note worth some bucks. Any star note that is uncirculated will be worth more than one that is worn no matter how old it is (unless you are talking about large paper currency). Another thing to look for is unusual serial numbers. Example: 0123456 would be desireable note. If you get money from the bank and find consecutive serial number bills that are star notes. These are the things I have noticed that make the bills worth some serious money. I have a dozen or so dollar star notes that are well worn, and have found ten and twenty dollar star bills. They are fun to look for, but collecting circulated star notes isn't a money making hobby.

John

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
diggummup said:

Actually, star notes all carry a little bit of a premium (5 times face sound a little high though). However just because a star note is old, doesn't mean it is more valuable than a new star note. As far as I can tell, here is what makes a star note or any note worth some bucks. Any star note that is uncirculated will be worth more than one that is worn no matter how old it is (unless you are talking about large paper currency). Another thing to look for is unusual serial numbers. Example: 0123456 would be desireable note. If you get money from the bank and find consecutive serial number bills that are star notes. These are the things I have noticed that make the bills worth some serious money. I have a dozen or so dollar star notes that are well worn, and have found ten and twenty dollar star bills. They are fun to look for, but collecting circulated star notes isn't a money making hobby.

John
I can agree with you to a certain point as far as collecting circulated star notes isn't a money making hobby,of course it isn't,condition is everything ,unless it's a rare note or scrip or something.I disagree on the fact that many older uncirculated star notes are not worth at least 5 times as much as the same uncirculated note in the same series without a star.I said nothing about face value,i'm talking about older notes that are already collectible with or without a star.As for the newer star notes,you are correct as to what to collect and what to look for.I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say,that's probably my fault for not wording it correctly.What kind of notes do you collect?

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
diggummup said:
[qudote author=blurr link=topic=50071.msg359323#msg359323 date=1159403513]
diggummup said:

John
I can agree with you to a certain point as far as collecting circulated star notes isn't a money making hobby,of course it isn't,condition is everything ,unless it's a rare note or scrip or something.I disagree on the fact that many older uncirculated star notes are not worth at least 5 times as much as the same uncirculated note in the same series without a star.I said nothing about face value,i'm talking about older notes that are already collectible with or without a star.As for the newer star notes,you are correct as to what to collect and what to look for.I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say,that's probably my fault for not wording it correctly.What kind of notes do you collect?
[/quote]

digumup,

Hey, I'm thinking you probably know much more than me about the subject. I was just going from what I have seen at the coin shops, and web sites. The old notes certainly can be worth more than current ones, but if the old ones are beat to hell, they aren't worth much more than the new ones. No hard feelings really. I just like collecting coins and currency. My favorite is star notes and silver that I get in change.

John

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In all my years of collecting... watching my pocket change and money, I have NEVER found a star note of any denomination.... EVER.
Sad... sad.. boo hoo me.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
blurr said:
diggummup said:
[qudote author=blurr link=topic=50071.msg359323#msg359323 date=1159403513]
diggummup said:

John

digumup,

Hey, I'm thinking you probably know much more than me about the subject. I was just going from what I have seen at the coin shops, and web sites. The old notes certainly can be worth more than current ones, but if the old ones are beat to hell, they aren't worth much more than the new ones. No hard feelings really. I just like collecting coins and currency. My favorite is star notes and silver that I get in change.

John
[/quote] No hard feelings at all,I collect a little bit of everything from star notes to silver certificates and gold certificates,my favorites are confederate notes,that's my problem,so many interests,so little time and darn sure not enough money. :) It's funny,I never really collected anything before I started detecting several years ago,now I want to collect anything and everything.Talk at ya later!

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
Hey Diggum,

You have some gold notes? I have always thought that those were the "prettiest" notes ever made. Well, then there are the black eagle dollar bills, and the woodchopper notes, on second thought all the old notes are pretty!! (post a pic of some of your collection please!!!)

John

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Star notes might not be worth much for newer issues and even that is not always the case. However, the fact cannot be denied or stated otherwise........in just about every collectible note, a star note commands a higher price, and many times that price can be very, very, very high.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a good web site that lists lots of information about the current size currency frmo $1 to $10000 from 1928 to current.

For example, what percentage of a certain issue were star notes, what serial number sequences were issued, etc.

Check it out if interested.

http://www.uspapermoney.info

diverwannabe

Apr 1, 2006
Poulsbo, WA
Heres the star not I found today when I cashed in my halves...

Attachments

• todaysfinds.jpg
    todaysfinds.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,120
  • todaysfinds.jpg
    todaysfinds.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 1,058

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day I found a 1976 - $2 Star Note Ser#00220057 while at the bank. It is the oldest Star Note I have come across. It is also the lowest serial number I have seen, possibly on any bill.

B

baseballbandits

Sounds like a good star note. Wonder what it is worth ???

OP
OP
I

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a first today - consecutive $20 star notes! GE02002536* & GE02002537* series 2004-A (sorry, no pics). Think these'll sell on eBay?

(Woo hoo! Post #1000!)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I remember seeing this topic....Here's my first since seeing this topic....

Attachments

• P2120002.JPG
    P2120002.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 803

nathan104

Feb 23, 2006
Emory TX
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, AT Pro, propointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just found my first star note today. 2003 $5 bill. Well worn though. But, I hardly ever have cash so dont ever get the chance to check it out that much. First one Ive ever found. May not be worth more than $5 but its something different and Im keeping it anyways.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread