$2 bill with post office stamp

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son has a bicentenial $2 bill that has a bicentenial postage stamp on it. The bill and stamp have a postmark across them from Grand Central Station in NYC with the July 4th, 1976 cancellation date. Not too many post offices were open on that holiday. The bill is between 2 pieces of cardboard and looks like new. Still crisp. Does this have any value beyond being a curiosity?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Pack,

think it is a common collector item.

PO may have been closed but postmark was
placed on bills from lots of post offices.

Check:

http://www.iwily.com/cgi-bin/iwb/iwseb.cgi?search=1976+2+dollar+bill+value

Not my area of knowledge, but stamp collectors
get postmarks on lots of different items.

Don't think it has much value, but I sure would do
a full search if I was ever going to sell it. Never know
what small reson may push the price up.

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
My ol' memory is not too good,but I remember that they issued new $2 bills and that the post office would gladly stamp them as to first date of issue.

fyrfighter17

Feb 24, 2007
Essington,Pa
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes,it is somewhat common,but not real common...I remember seeing things like this on those home shopping channels over the years,coins,stamps,baseball cards,etc...it at one point was probably sealed in a 8x10(example) plastic sheet with the history of the Declaration of Independance....known as a "date of issue" item or for special occasions or achievements. For example....if a ballplayer hits his 800th homerun on august 3 they might get a artist renedering of that player and postmark it august 3 as a "special" collectors piece(they have the items ready ahead of time and the second the achievement is met they postmark it and it is available for market immediatley)...yours was obviousley done for the bicentennial..as far as added value,ehhhh it may add a few buck depending on condition but I think it would be worth more if it was complete....looks to me like someone was in need of money and removed it from its original display...I looked for bicentennial celebration at grand central station but was unable to find anything

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I do know that this one wasn't in a set. My grandmother lived in NYC and went to Grand Central Station purposely to get this. Most post offices were closed that day so that is what was supposed to make this bill special. She gave it to my son for his birthday in Aug. of 1976. I just never knew if it actually became valuable. I'm sure my son wouldn't sell it anyway.

T

TreasureTales

fyrfighter17 said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1976-2-Dollar-B...ryZ40029QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this is an example of a $2 postmarked april 13 1976 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the actual signing of the decalaration of independance

Actually, the $2.00 bill had Jefferson's image on it and April 13 was his birthdate. So to prove first day of issue (which was on his birthday, during the bicentennial celebration-1976), postage stamps were affixed to the bill and then the PO would hand cancel the stamp. I took many $2.00 bills to the PO that day myself, and don't have any to show for it today. Drat!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread