Asian Currency ID

WILTON

Mar 21, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Help request. I was able to ID the center bill but not the other two.
ASIA small.jpg ASIA small2.jpg

Attachments

• Asia 1.jpg
    Asia 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
  • Asia 2.jpg
    Asia 2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just joined the forum and can read Asian characters, more specifically to this case Kanji, which resembles Chinese a bit. That is Japanese currency, the top being a 100 Yen note, the bottom a 5 Yen note. If I could get closer look I might see when it was circulated. Right now I'm guessing it's WW2 related because the two characters on the right say "military use". The other side says figuratively "hand ticket" or note in other words. The words in the centre describe the denomination, 100 and 5.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Some history:
Japan introduced the top Military Note in 1938 for use in the areas of China that they had occupied. The note was created by taking partially completed Japanese homeland notes and overprinting them on the front and back with four large red characters that read "Military Note". In 1940 the Military Notes were replaced by notes issued by the Japanese puppet banks in China, however the Military Yen continued to be used in Hong Kong and Hainan Island throughout the war.

The 100 Yen Japanese Military Currency note was issued in 1945 for use in Hong Kong. It was the highest denomination military currency issued by Japan. The note, apparently printed in Hong Kong, utilized the basic design of the 1944 Japanese homeland 100 Yen note, however with modified legends on the back and the front was overprinted with the characters indicating it is military currency.
Don.....
Don......

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Some history:
Japan introduced Military Note in 1938 for use in the areas of China that they had occupied. The note was created by taking partially completed Japanese homeland notes and overprinting them on the front and back with four large red characters that read "Military Note". In 1940 the Military Notes were replaced by notes issued by the Japanese puppet banks in China, however the Military Yen continued to be used in Hong Kong and Hainan Island throughout the war.
Don......

I wonder if my grandpa would have seen some of these, since he fought alongside the British against the Japanese in defense of Hong Kong, was captured and escaped the camp before hiding out in the city areas for 6 months before getting over the border into China and joining up with the British army again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions