2009 $1 Error bill - front printed over back

KennyFLA

Mar 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work at a grocery store and received this from a customer about a month ago. It looked odd so I put it to the side not thinking much of it and was able to trade out a dollar that I had for it. It looks like the same image on the front with George Washington was printed on the back. Im not familiar with paper money or printing errors so after some googling I found a site that says

"If a sheet fails to enter the printing press, the inked plates will transfer their image to the impression cylinder. The next 6 or 7 sheets will receive the impression from the cylinder while the other side of the note is being printed. The result is an offset printing in reverse on the already printed side."

Just thought it was a cool find and figured you all would appreciate it as much as I do!
Any ideas on what it could be worth?
I could not find a name for the kind of error, so I am not sure what to search for.

2009 $1.jpg
2009 $1 Rev.jpg

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
called offset transfer--face on back error. the premium for AU condition on this error varies on the strength of clarity and is between $50 to $500 over face value. do not spend this on a dollar meal at Burger King. AWESOME FIND

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I call it a 'wet ink transfer', front printing on the back. This was caused by the impression roller making contact with the plate, the plate transferring ink to the roller, then the roller placing the image in retrograde on the next sheet fed into the press. I'm more familiar with a price range for a one-dollar bill with this error from $40 in VF-40 up to $110 new. This same error in higher denomination bills (again, IMO) would go up to $200. Either way, great save !!
Don.

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Good eye on that one. People don't often enough keep an eye on their paper currency as much as they do on coinage. Plenty of errors, star notes, and fancy serial numbers out there to be found. A friend of mine at work just found an "Insufficient ink error," where a quarter of the $1 note is missing ink on the back. Very cool.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's mine... This is a 1999 series... This one is very bold and heavier on the ink.... Found this a long time ago

Attachments

• 1462922747190.jpg
    1462922747190.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 129

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread