Error with $10?

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Asking for a friend, I don't do much with paper money, not sure if this is an error with the paper? It looks like the paper is darker, I have seen when money gets washed with jeans it makes the bill darker but this seems to be on one side and the edges on the reverse side seem to just have a touch of that darker look. Maybe it was Ina dash of a car I the sunlight? Any feed back would be helpful. Thanks.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466550730.146080.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466550746.269820.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm definitely no expert(!!), but I know that the paper they use is bleached to a uniform color. They (the Mint) have camera scanners that would have pulled that in a heartbeat. So I have to think it has been altered somehow.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It almost looks like the new $100 bill paper

Fugio

Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Legend, AT Pro, Garret Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's very hard to tell by pictures alone: white balance on the camera comes into play, lighting, angle, etc. But I will tell you this, the paper is manufactured with the denomination it will be used for in mind. Meaning that, when a roll of paper to be used for $100 bills rolls into the BEP, the security thread and watermarks are already in the paper. Clearly there is no security thread(strike one) and unless ben Franklyn is the water mark, that's strike two. So I doubt this was printed on $100 dollar paper. The other thing telling me this is not an error is the fact that the color of the paper is not even from front to back. The front homogenous and the back is splotchy and lighter. So, just looking at the pictures, I am leaning towards not a printing error. Keep in mind, without seeing it, I can only be so sure. But good question, and a neat find! Take it to someone you trust who knows their stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread