Just starting

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....Welcome Griffith 90 !
The hobby gives you joy , stimulation and maybe some exercise !
If the query is of monetary gains.....there are MANY with similar interests. Just think of that one missing piece someone has been searching for !
Here you you will meet a plethora of professionals. To help them help you , good photos and descriptions are a must.

Enjoy the hobby and Welcome to Treasurenet.

....Mark.

Last edited:

Jkmoneyman

Greenie
Sep 14, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome griffith 90 . Let's just talk about the 2 years you have collected thus far . 1963 was the first year the BEP ( Bureau Engraving Printing ) came out with what collectors refer to as small head notes. What makes this 1963 plain series fun and interesting to collect , meaning no letter after the year 1963 , is that you have what we call mule notes . A mule will have 2 different face plate sizes , meaning the small numbers on the front and back of the bill will differ in size . This is because the BEP decided to save money and print the 1957 $1 silver certificates on the back of the 1963 $1 FRN ( Federal Reserve Notes ) . They did this so they could use the same plates already made and used for the 1957 $1 silver certificates. So what you need to look for is , on the back of every 1963 $1 plain " FRN " is the plate number . If the plate number is 447 or less , then the back of this 1963 $1 FRN note is actually the same ones used on the 1957 $1 silver certificates . Some collectors try to collect all 12 Districts , with mules , as well as replacement notes ( which are referred to as Star notes also ) . This means you would need to find 24 1963 $1 FRN mule notes in total . This is just one of the many interesting ways of collecting currency . Enjoy the hunt , Joe

OP
OP
G

griffith 90

Feb 4, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome griffith 90 . Let's just talk about the 2 years you have collected thus far . 1963 was the first year the BEP ( Bureau Engraving Printing ) came out with what collectors refer to as small head notes. What makes this 1963 plain series fun and interesting to collect , meaning no letter after the year 1963 , is that you have what we call mule notes . A mule will have 2 different face plate sizes , meaning the small numbers on the front and back of the bill will differ in size . This is because the BEP decided to save money and print the 1957 $1 silver certificates on the back of the 1963 $1 FRN ( Federal Reserve Notes ) . They did this so they could use the same plates already made and used for the 1957 $1 silver certificates. So what you need to look for is , on the back of every 1963 $1 plain " FRN " is the plate number . If the plate number is 447 or less , then the back of this 1963 $1 FRN note is actually the same ones used on the 1957 $1 silver certificates . Some collectors try to collect all 12 Districts , with mules , as well as replacement notes ( which are referred to as Star notes also ) . This means you would need to find 24 1963 $1 FRN mule notes in total . This is just one of the many interesting ways of collecting currency . Enjoy the hunt , Joe

My series 1963 is actually late 1968 or early 1969 J. Bar note

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I suggest you pick up a copy of The Official Red Book, A Guide Book of United States Paper Money (mine is the 5th edition-2016) by Arthur and Ira Friedberg.
It's 400+ pages packed with information; and color pics and values of each bill.
Don......

OP
OP
G

griffith 90

Feb 4, 2017
Montana
Primary Interest:
Other
I suggest you pick up a copy of The Official Red Book, A Guide Book of United States Paper Money (mine is the 5th edition-2016) by Arthur and Ira Friedberg.
It's 400+ pages packed with information; and color pics and values of each bill.
Don......

I Haven't seen one for at the local coin dealer, is there a website I can find one?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions