Saving $2 Bills

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone save the $2 bills for any reason other than they look are funny looking. In my case I save them with the intent to find the next/previous serial number to the ones I already have on file. I know it sounds stupid, but I kinda make a game out of it. Over the past 2-years I have gotten 4 hits of serial bills either before or after the ones on file. Multiple serial numbers at time of purchase Don't Count. My sort sequence is by: Fed District, Year, Serial #. Savers comments appreciated. This would definitely be a fun job on a LOTUS spread sheet if anyone can do it.

Last edited:

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
i save them and i have 2013 2$ bill did they stop making them in 2003

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My wife lost her mind when I showed her my two dollar bill collection.
I've got a handful of silver certificates and red notes, but the hundreds of others?... just regular issue, nothing fancy currency.
No, I'm not spending it, stop asking.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped in at my regular bank to dump 1-box of rolled dimes. Asked teller for IKEs, halves, $2 bills. She had $26 in bills. She then asked if I wanted to order a full strap of $200, $2bills, BRAND NEW, in serial # sequence. Didn't know that could be done. Could prove interesting.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I buy $2 bills every other week from the bank and spend them everywhere. Normally buy about 200 dollars worth or sometimes more. They normally have thousands worth in the vault and never seem to run out. Many are in serial number series.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Weighit. Would be an interesting study, but the next time you buy a new full strap in serial # sequence, and before you spend them, record the beginning & ending serials and see if you get any of those 100 pieces back in the future dates.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife and I have been collecting them for years and I didn't know you could get them from the bank.
Thank you for the tip.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Mom (now in her 80s) gets them as uses them as tips for wait staff, doormen and the like. People seem to appreciate them!

I remember she'd show me ones with blue and/or red seals and I'd think neat, but never set them aside...too bad...can they be worth a premium?

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
yea they can

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Mom (now in her 80s) gets them as uses them as tips for wait staff, doormen and the like. People seem to appreciate them!

Back when I was working and traveling, I would fold up a 2 and give them as tips also. Concierge, bag check, etc. Always got a chuckle at how they'd glance at it, assume I had made a hellava mistake by giving them a 20, and quickly stuff it in their pocket before I could realize what I'd done.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Got my fifth 5-th hit the other day, in finding the serial number either before OR after of those $2-bills that I have collected. I'm starting to stack so many I wish I had a computer to put them on a spreadsheet so that I can start spending the bad looking ones.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I occasionally get them at my bank, deliberately. I then use them to absolutely confuse as many people at convenience stores and fast food restaurants as possible. They also don't seem to know what half dollars are.

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....They also don't seem to know what half dollars are.

Man, I know we are raising some of the dumbest people anymore. I tried to spend 2 half dollar at a local Arbys last year and the entire staff asked me what they were and are they new dollar coins. I explained what they were and told them about JFK as well and the cashier still tried to ring them up as dollars.
Always meant to go get some more and screw with more young minds but haven't yet.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I save them up and give them to the grandkids & friends kids as birthday card stuffers. For a Christmas present, I scrape the labels off the Starbucks bottles and fill them with coins some silver, some $2s down the center & the rest with Canadian & other foreign coins. Kind of cool to see em ignore the rest of the toys etc. and start playing with the "Treasure jars". I hit the antique malls & there's always someone selling foreign coins 20 or 30 for a buck. One guy almost always just about falls off his chair when I ask "How much for the whole bunch?". Make a few up for those OH CRUD! I forgot moments.

AlienLifeForm

Bronze Member
Jan 31, 2010
DFW Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Garrett ProPointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get them from the bank and spend them. At yard sales, flea markets, etc. you will find they sometimes have more buying power than their $2 face value.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
I can and do order $2 bills by the $2000 brick. Just spend them. I do save AU/CU 1976s though, because I can sell them for $3.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread