XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious

Not too familiar with star notes and their significance...I have seen quite a few with a high numismatic value but not sure why.
Can’t any member enlighten me?

Thank you in advance for your wisdom

Waterscoop

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A star note is a replacement note issued to replace a defective note. As such, you should find many star notes beginning with one or more zeroes.
Bills with serial numbers under 1,000 command some premium. Personally,I see no added value to current bills with large serial number unless there is something special in the numbering sequence; like radar bills, bills that would be 'winners' in 'liar's poker' game, etc. For me, the issue date on the bill would have to be at least ten old to stir any action.
Don......

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll bite - Whats rare about it ?

LoganFlame

Jul 4, 2017
New Pekin, IN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II, Garrets Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a run of 640,000 and yes, I would keep it, many say don't it's not worth anything while jumping up and down over a 1958 wheat cent. The bill DOES have value!!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its a run of 640,000 and yes, I would keep it, many say don't it's not worth anything while jumping up and down over a 1958 wheat cent. The bill DOES have value!!

Yeah it has value, basically $20.

I often set aside star notes, got a whole stack of them - But they are not rare, and they usually are not "valuable".
Put it on ebay, be doing good to get anything over face, and thats with free shipping.

[A 6 decades old coin can have intrinsic value to an individual, not to mention the thrill of finding it - Modern pocket change, including $20 bills, do not]
So your comparison falls a bit flat.

I'm not saying don't keep it, thats a personal decision, good to set aside $$ in the first place star note or not ,,, But lets be realistic here.

Attachments

• IMG_2482.JPG
    IMG_2482.JPG
    537.2 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I owned a coin and pawn shop for 20 years. I had 100's of people bring these in to see if there was any value. I never had 1 person in 20 years ask to buy one. They are worth face value only. Sorry

Gary from Oregon

ChampFerguson/TN

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2013
TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari .......... Minelab Excalibur II ....... ........Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sit them all aside even tho I know the paper money collectible market is utterly dwarfed by the collectible coin market. Just enjoy your hobbies and don't give 2 squirts what anyone else thinks.

LoganFlame

Jul 4, 2017
New Pekin, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really, that wheat cent to you has whatever value both monetary and for other reasons, the same with a star note, each collector collects for what excites them and not to have someone say it has no value! I sell star notes, the more rare and older have more value but to just say its worthless so go spend it isn't the right thing to say, it has a lower run so does have value and when people come and say its worthless isn't right either!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, not the same.
Something metal 6 decades old you found in the ground does not compare to a new piece of paper found in spare change.
That said, obviously I'd rather have the $20, and obviously OP can do whatever he wants with it - Keep it, spend it or donate it to mother waddles.

My main issue in all of this is the word "rare", it is not rare sheesh.
Star notes are cool, star notes are special, but lets face facts - Rarely will you ever get over face value for a modern star note, it really is just as simple as that.

LoganFlame

Jul 4, 2017
New Pekin, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just your opinion! Just because you don't collect it means its not something that matters to you!! I dig that metal, or did before health problems slowed me down the last year or two! After a thousand wheat pennies dug, other than the "rare" date they go in a jar and sit! I enjoyed digging them but I can get more for what they are made of than anything else! Do you sell star notes? when you say "rarely" does this mean you tried selling them? People buy them, people like them, people collect them. I just sold one for $135, now it was a 1 dollar "stuck digit" star note. This note he had is a run of 640 thousand, now most bills put in circulation have a short life span so many after a few years are destroyed, so it means fewer of those left after a few years, making them rare, and at 640 thousand that note is as rare as some coins made, new means nothing, a new coin with a low run you consider rare so the only difference is, is you don't collect them! I collect many things, treasure hunting in any form to me I do for pleasure, and yes profit. I won't waste any more time responding, but because you don't collect it and you don't like rare being used doesn't mean it has not value or it isn't "rare"!!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. I won't waste any more time responding

Wisest thing you have said in this thread, amen !

Would advise any level headed person to check ebay, enter "star note" in search, then refine by "completed".

https://www.ebay.com/sch/Paper-Mone...40&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=star+notes&rt=nc&_dmd=2
[link may or may not work for you, you may have to log in and do it yourself]

I doubt if 1 out of 50 sells, some very close to face.
Those that do sell have other factors like repeater/radar serial numbers and/or are decades old [and a fair proportion of those are graded]. Modern notes lacking anything but a star just don't drum up any interest, perhaps in 40 years or so it would.

I would bet that if the note in the OP was put on ebay for $21 buy it now and $3 shipping, it would not sell if it was relisted for 6 months straight.
I'm not being mean or discouraging anyone, I presume we are all adults here. I am being realistic.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get $60-65 for clean crisp $50's
$3-7 for $2 notes
$120-130 for C notes

* NOTES have collectors--- like every thing made of matter on the planet
cover the fees & list as auction for $25-- it all adds up to profit-------
OR ----
put it in savings or CD & make SQUAT

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Higher denominations [and $2's] are no good indication of how well the far more numerous lower bills will sell.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
till ya need a pack of smokes of gallon of gas.

sort of a joke I know some people pay a premium for them.
but personally , I'll never understand why

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a 2009 $20 * back in circulation today (found it last week).....looked on ebay at another in the series, $21.50 for 5 days, no bids.

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but it on ebay?
sell it for what ever, but you have to pay to list
try Craig's list
odds at, you will loose money if listed on ebay

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a 2009 $20 * back in circulation today (found it last week).....looked on ebay at another in the series, $21.50 for 5 days, no bids.

Here is hoping you checked the print run of the star.
Just becasue one sold for that does not mean yours would have.
There were multiple printings of 2009 20 star notes.
The smallest being 320,000 and the largest being 3,200,000.
$20 Star Note Production Tables | My Currency Collection
The one that sold was probably from a run of 3,200,000 so it was no value above face.
Lets say yours was from a run of 320,000 which is the smallest then the bill would have been worth over $100 dollars.
As we do not know what the serial number of your bill was we can not figure out its run.
Please use this site to check the print run of any star notes you get.
Star Note Lookup | My Currency Collection

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread